PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks to getting a nice 90 degree bend in sheet metal without a brake?

2002wranglerX
04-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Just wondering if anyone had any tips. Building a Dash in the big TJ and i wanted to make a smooth 90 degree bend (not right angles). Very light metal. I'm just flattening out 2/3rds of the dash (from gauges to the right).

didn't know if there were any good tricks or if i just need to take it somewhere.

Deadman 94 xj
04-10-2009, 10:06 PM
A pole and a ratchet strap (if you need it)? You get the idea. Other than that I have no clue.

2002wranglerX
04-10-2009, 10:11 PM
A pole and a ratchet strap (if you need it)? You get the idea. Other than that I have no clue.

That's kinda what i was thinking. Figured i'd ask before messing up sheet metal lol.

Thanks for the input. at least i know i'm not crazy lol

Deadman 94 xj
04-10-2009, 10:14 PM
That's kinda what i was thinking. Figured i'd ask before messing up sheet metal lol.

Thanks for the input. at least i know i'm not crazy lol

LOL. You probably know more about it than I do. If you're careful enough I think it would turn out fine.

2002wranglerX
04-10-2009, 10:17 PM
LOL. You probably know more about it than I do. If you're careful enough I think it would turn out fine.

LOL, doubtful. Sheetmetal fab is defenitely not my thing.

mxg342
04-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm sure a shop would do it for about $10.

Deadman 94 xj
04-10-2009, 10:27 PM
^^^ that might be a better idea.

Krod
04-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Two pieces of angle, a length of wood 2x4 and a few C-clamps will get it done if its thin sheet metal.

Clamp the first piece of angle to the edge of your workbench so it gives you a nice "edge". Put the sheet metal on top of that.

Now clamp the other piece of angle on top, lining the edges up along the line you want to brake.

Like this, but using angle instead of flat bar stock:
http://ptt-ak.com/kl6m/brake/MVC-009F.JPG

The two pieces of angle should look like this when viewed from the side:

--l (a "T" turned 90 deg to the right)

with the sheet metal in the center.

Now clamp the 2x4 to the top piece of angle and either lean on it, or use a hammer to force the 2x4 downward (slowly, you'll need to move the clamps to allow the 2x4 to move further), this will put a nice bend in the sheet metal (up to 90 degrees) with no hammer marks on the finished piece.

...and if that sounds too complicated (or your metal is too thick) just take it somewhere to have it done.

Deadman 94 xj
04-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks Matt, I learned something today too :biggrin:

Krod
04-10-2009, 11:07 PM
It works too! no welding or real fabbing required and it can be done with scraps you probably have laying around the garage. There are good plans on the web for a DIY break if you want something more permanent.

If you want a radius in the bend and not a sharp corner, use a piece of 2x2 square steel tube or anything else stiff enough with a radius on the corner. Its harder to get the radius than a sharp corner, but it can be done. A little heat helps alot if its thicker metal thats hard to bend.

hyperbuzzin
04-10-2009, 11:13 PM
i wanted to make a smooth 90 degree bend (not right angles).

A 90° bend is a right angle?
Or by 'not right angles' do you mean you just don't want a sharp corner on it?

2002wranglerX
04-10-2009, 11:28 PM
A 90° bend is a right angle?
Or by 'not right angles' do you mean you just don't want a sharp corner on it?

I didn't want a sharp corner. I'll have to try that with the 2x2 stock!

2002wranglerX
04-10-2009, 11:30 PM
thanks Krod!

xeccllc
04-13-2009, 11:22 AM
if you are tryin to bend metal that is thicker than sheet metal...

you could take a piece of angle and "c clamp it to a bench" then slide the piece your bending bewtween the bench and the "angle".. take a torch, slowly heat up the spot your bending, then WITH GLOVES ON, bend the metal to where you need it..