PDA

View Full Version : Welding in a new quarter panel

Leady
04-15-2009, 09:00 AM
My roommate wrecked his nice car into his Talon. So I told him before he junks the Talon I wanted to try and weld in a new quarter for him to see how well I could do.

I know I'd have to run low amps to keep from warping the shit out of everything, and its not gonna look perfect but if I could get it close enough to putty over it that'd be cool.

Any input?

limegreentj
04-15-2009, 11:09 AM
spot welds....about 1/2 inch apart all around, it will keep it cooler, then finish it off slowly

Leady
04-15-2009, 01:49 PM
thats what I was gonna do, after looking at it today we figured out that the panel is basically only spot welded on the seam which is hidden by trim, the door, and hatch so if we can get it off cleanly it shouldn't be that hard

limegreentj
04-15-2009, 01:54 PM
when you spot/tack it, just make sure to go SLOW

Leady
04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
yeah low heat=no warping of panels.

I learned about this from mini truck forums, because people weld in tailgate skins and graft 4x4 fenders onto bed sides for extra clearance.

That was the #1 thing that anyone said was to go slow and keep it cool.

wozz
04-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Another trick I have heard of is to crush a piece of copper pipe and use it as a heat sink behind the weld if you can get to it.

john00TJ
04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Lucky you ..the Tech next to me is doing a quarter panel job starting tomorrow on a Impala ..i could take the camera tomorrow and snap a few pics with a short right up on how to do this if you like ? if not no biggie i just hate to waste time ..LMK

Leady
04-17-2009, 10:45 AM
nah don't worry about it dude...I've read a bunch of mini truck build threads so I know what I'm looking at. Thanks though.

highlandercj-7
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
3M make a wicked adhesive that will aloow you to glue the new quarter onto the car. Most body shops use it so there is no warping and it's easier and quicker. The stuff is so strong that a rep glued 2 pieces of sheetmetal together at my friends body shop then they put the pieces into the frame machine and pulled on them the metal ripped in half and the glued stuff was still together. All the body shop supply places have it.

john00TJ
04-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Its 3ms fusor ..i believe its 108B is the fast set panel adhesive ,its still recommended to weld but the glue works great for the hard to get spots like around the wheel wells .and if you are spot welding you can weld threw the Fusor

Leady
04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
That's pretty awesome I imagine that we could use some of that.

Its all up in the air about what he wants to do with his car, he might get a shell and swap his motor over, or fix this one.

I'd like to take on this kinda project its something I don't have much experience with so it'd be cool to learn. Plus I want to use my welder a lot this summer so why not?

limegreentj
04-20-2009, 09:55 PM
i hear that man, i just got my welder also, i already have lots of projects for me planned along with a couple buddies that want some stuff built

Leady
04-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Yeah dude I hope I can get good with it, I bought it because I planned to build my minitruck but both welder and mini have been sitting for a year.

Someday when I have room and no other projects going I'll get to my minitruck.

Right now I have two projects and to be kosher, only one garage bay at my disposal. I want to leave the other open for my roommates.

limegreentj
04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
it just takes time, you'll get it, its what i do for a living so i had experience before i bought my welder. it'll make fixing things so much easier

village_idiot
04-20-2009, 10:18 PM
How much does this fuser cost and how hard is it to use, I don't trust myself to weld in a new cab corner and fender lip....

jeepxj3
04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
not hard at all, its just an epoxy, comes with mixing sticks, so you have pretty much everything you need minus the gun.

limegreentj
04-20-2009, 11:25 PM
just dont make a mess of it, remember what its like when you spill glue?