PDA

View Full Version : 2000 XJ tips ?

cityslicker
04-16-2009, 06:05 PM
So I got a half of a lift on my XJ, it's just a bb but I can't get the rear shock bolts off, and I hosed them with pb for a week before hand. Anyone have any tips I can use to get this job done? Having a lopsided Jeep is the weakest thing in the world.

Deadman 94 xj
04-16-2009, 06:30 PM
The rear upper shock bolts are known to break off. I don't think I've run into anyone that this has not happened to. I only broke one and that's rare.

The best option is to go ahead and snap them off and pick up a set of Bar Pin Eliminators (BPEs) and bolt them up where the old shocks went. Just use a (slinky) magnet to fish the new bolts through.

There are a few people that sell BPEs. JKS and Rocky Road the the only ones I'm farmiliar with. I went with rockroad and didn't have any problems. I think they're a little cheaper than JKS also.

http://www.rocky-road.com/xjbarpin.html

http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=BARPINELIM&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=Shock

I'm sure you could find something on ebay too.

Sleeper
04-16-2009, 06:54 PM
Did you try a little bit of heat to them yet?

cityslicker
04-16-2009, 08:06 PM
did not try heat...
anywhere local sell bpes?

tjblair
04-16-2009, 08:11 PM
We sell them at Meridian, but that's probably alittle far for you.

limegreentj
04-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Or you can weld a nut on to the broken bolt and then try turning it out that way. Sometimes with the bigger nut on top the easier it comes out. Also, you can heat it while you try to turn the nut that you welded, it might work. Good luck man.

Sleeper
04-16-2009, 08:12 PM
did not try heat...
anywhere local sell bpes?As ar as I know I do not think anyone local sells them. I would try to heat them up then torque them out gently:nod:

cityslicker
04-16-2009, 08:17 PM
I have heard that if you break them to drill through and use some grade 8s with washers on the other side.

Also, since it's only a 2 inch shackle lift back there, ciould I get away with the stock shocks with the extended shackle for a little bit until I could get bpes?

Deadman 94 xj
04-17-2009, 12:56 AM
I don't see why not. At the most all you'll hurt is the shocks and you're replacing them anyway.

Go with rocky road BPEs. They're 22 bucks a pair. I couldn't justify paying 60 for the JKS crap.

cityslicker
04-17-2009, 08:35 AM
thanks man... so I should be able to replace the shackles without removing the shocks.....
good shit....

cityslicker
04-18-2009, 01:22 AM
well Snapped em right off on the first turn on each bolt.

I just driled through to the trunk and put big ass washers on the back, should do till i can get BPEs

I don't know what the budget boost make was but the people who made em are morons,.

but She looks good I clear the 31s nice and it's alot nicer with new shocks,,,,

thanks for all your advices

Deadman 94 xj
04-18-2009, 02:16 AM
well Snapped em right off on the first turn on each bolt.

I just driled through to the trunk and put big ass washers on the back, should do till i can get BPEs

I don't know what the budget boost make was but the people who made em are morons,.

but She looks good I clear the 31s nice and it's alot nicer with new shocks,,,,

thanks for all your advices

Cool. What did you have trouble with?

Also, post up some pics of the Jeep. XJ's large and small are very capable!

cityslicker
04-18-2009, 08:43 AM
It wasn't trouble that made them morons. It was that they provided 4 bolts and nuts with the shackles. and the top bolt on the xj threaded into a welded nut, witch neither provided bolt would do. I'm lucky I got the oem bolts out in good shape...

also, the metal sleeve that fits inside the bottom bushing on my new shocks would fit on the mount. so I just put a big ass washer on the outside of her keeping it in place.

limegreentj
04-18-2009, 09:00 AM
1 2 3 4 5.....

cityslicker
04-18-2009, 09:51 AM
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc45/IroncityAirsoft/CIMG1215.jpg

thats her this morn

gonecheenin
04-18-2009, 11:47 AM
looks real good :111:

Deadman 94 xj
04-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Looks good! Nice and low. Mine's a little too tall for my taste.

trailblaze
04-19-2009, 02:27 AM
it's not always about how high you are... mostly it's about how much of a **** you don't care... and just make it through it.... scratches/ dents and all.

i drank about 14 captians and cokes... and played the best game of pool on my life..

listening to hall & oats right now...

yes... that gay.

Barillms
05-14-2009, 01:23 AM
So I got a half of a lift on my XJ, it's just a bb but I can't get the rear shock bolts off, and I hosed them with pb for a week before hand. Anyone have any tips I can use to get this job done? Having a lopsided Jeep is the weakest thing in the world.

Heat them up red hot glowing & back them out very easy.
If they break... you're ****ed.
Then you gotta try to drill them out...
or build new shock mounts.

96greenxjjeep
05-14-2009, 08:30 AM
or ive seen guys cut a hole in the floor and drill them out that way

xjMallCrawler
03-13-2011, 07:10 PM
probly already fixed the problem but when i did my lift my bolts broke so i pushed them up thru the hole. there was enough metal i could tap 2 of them but others i drilled thru the floor from bottom. then made whole big enough to fit a nut and tacked it in place and tightend it up. after that i sealed hole in floor