PDA

View Full Version : Buying A Fork

Ronin152
05-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I have been looking at a few forks on ebay and there are some on there that are listed as brand new and come with everything but the price just seems to good to be true. The sellers have good reviews but the price just seems to good to be true. Should I not buy from them?

Ronin152
05-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Oh well, I just ordered a RockShox Reba Race 100mm hope it works out.

http://www.glamsport.it/images/products/BC8256%20-%20FORCELLA%20ROCK%20SHOX%20REBA%20RACE%202009.jpg

jeepxj3
05-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I would have gone with more travel but that fork should be just fine for trail riding.

hyperbuzzin
05-04-2009, 04:04 PM
When I need a fork, I usually just go to a local resturant for dinner and tell them there was no silverware at the table.
That way I can also get a matching spoon & knife too!! http://planetsmilies.net/eat-drink-smiley-542.gif

LOL

jeepxj3
05-04-2009, 04:52 PM
When I need a fork, I usually just go to a local resturant for dinner and tell them there was no silverware at the table.
That way I can also get a matching spoon & knife too!! http://planetsmilies.net/eat-drink-smiley-542.gif

LOL

try jamming it in your leg next time, then your post might be helpful! :nod:

Ronin152
05-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I would have gone with more travel but that fork should be just fine for trail riding.
The thing I liked about the Reba is that it has adjustable travel 80-120mm. It is dual air spring, lock out, adjustable compression. Tried out a bike at Dirty Harrys and I liked it alot. Can I install the fork myself? It seems pretty straight forward but there might be something I am missing? Do I need a new head set?

jeepxj3
05-04-2009, 06:51 PM
The thing I liked about the Reba is that it has adjustable travel 80-120mm. It is dual air spring, lock out, adjustable compression. Tried out a bike at Dirty Harrys and I liked it alot. Can I install the fork myself? It seems pretty straight forward but there might be something I am missing? Do I need a new head set?

You can absolutely install it yourself. Cyrus and I installed a Marz. Drop Off on his old bike, and we will probably move it over to his new Kona too. If you need help get a hold of me, id be more than happy to lend a hand.

Ronin152
05-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Awesome man, thanks. It should be coming in pretty soon.

trailerrails
05-04-2009, 07:20 PM
What kind of headset do you have? Some of them, like the King's, have a real thin race that can be easily be damaged. It is best to have a shop swap those ones. It should cost you $5 to have a crown race swapped. Other than that it is pretty straight forward.

Oh you might have to buy a star nut and install it or have the shop do it the same time they are swapping the crown race.

hyperbuzzin
05-04-2009, 11:55 PM
try jamming it in your leg next time, then your post might be helpful! :nod:

WOW, this forum has suddenly gone dead serious???? :icon_eyes: I am sooo sorry. :icon_eyes:

How would jamming a fork into my leg help any how?

Guess if I did it while riding a bike over a log, it could give the added 'umph' needed to make it up & over, at which point the front fork would come into play??

Is that somewhat what you're referring to????????
Otherwise, I don't see how that post of your's is of any help either. :018:

BTW, Ron
Nice looking fork ya went with. Let us see how it looks after the install.

2002wranglerX
05-05-2009, 01:34 AM
What kind of headset do you have? Some of them, like the King's, have a real thin race that can be easily be damaged. It is best to have a shop swap those ones. It should cost you $5 to have a crown race swapped. Other than that it is pretty straight forward.

Oh you might have to buy a star nut and install it or have the shop do it the same time they are swapping the crown race.

x2.

i boogered up my race on my crane creek S3 a little bit pulling it off my reba.

it was fun making the tool to pound it back down on the rigid when i reused that headset.

Ronin152
05-05-2009, 03:15 AM
I have a cane creek right now. Is there any point to getting a king head set? Anything wrong with just a cane creek one?

trailerrails
05-05-2009, 09:22 AM
king's are real nice but I never understood the reason for them other than bling factor. Any decent hedset out there will work just fine.

Ronin152
05-21-2009, 11:58 PM
Just got my bike back from DH today. Charged me $30 for a fork install. Thought that was pretty decent. Looks like they also lubed and adjusted everything also. But the fork rides very good. The difference between air and spring is so much. I have to make all kind of adjustments on it. I am running 100 psi in it currently and am thinking of bumping it up to about 115 psi.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e81/ronin152/DSC03037.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e81/ronin152/DSC03038.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e81/ronin152/DSC03039.jpg

jeepxj3
05-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Nice, im really diggin your ride. Keep in mind an air fork is more of a shock absorber, than anything. My Fox works just the same I run mine at 120psi and its stiff, but can still take a drop and suck up bumps.

Ronin152
05-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Yeah the reba has a ton of adjustments. It has dual air chambers so you can set the + and - differently so it will be stiffer or easier to push down on. The only thing I have to do is flip my rear tire. When I got a flat in the rear I accidently put the tire on in the opposite direction which it rotates. Doh! We should meet up to ride this weekend some time.

jeepxj3
05-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah the reba has a ton of adjustments. It has dual air chambers so you can set the + and - differently so it will be stiffer or easier to push down on. The only thing I have to do is flip my rear tire. When I got a flat in the rear I accidently put the tire on in the opposite direction which it rotates. Doh! We should meet up to ride this weekend some time.

Leaving for the weekend, so thats a no go.

Ronin152
05-22-2009, 10:25 PM
The reba handles so much better than my coil shocks that came stock on the bike. I can take much bigger drops and it is alot smoother up front. No more bottoming out! I love them.