PDA

View Full Version : My lil` DD Rig! `95 YJ! And my `00 Silverado

Sep
05-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new here but I figured I'd share my rig with everyone.

Her name is "Rio" and she's my new toy. Got her in Feb and she was in "alright" condition especially for the age. Since I picked her up I've done the following things to her.

Full tuneup, plugs, wires, distributor cap, air filter, fuel filter, ect..
Painted Headlight Bezels
Changed the AX-5 transmission oil
Dana 35C rebuild then used Valvoline synthetic lube for it
Gabriel oversized steering stabilizer
Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Mounts
Custom Mirrors, replacements for older van/trucks
Sony xplod 4x6's up front, illuminate 4" in the sound bar
New brake pads all around, new rear drums too...
Adjusted NP231 shift linkage...
Some minor body work so far, going tube fenders soon enough
New seals around the hardtop and the doors

Here's a few of the pictures.

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/SepYJ/S7303834.jpg

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/SepYJ/S7303851.jpg

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/SepYJ/S7303828.jpg

Now I can't leave out my precious... I know, bad Lord of the Rings reference, but still I love my truck. "Silver" is my wife's DD.

I've owned this since `05 after getting from the original owner who only used it on the highway for delivering farm tools and hay bails. He buys a new one every 5 years, so I got a deal, specially since he's a friend. Aside from the point, let me describe her.

2000 Silverado non-HD with HD Rear setup
GM standard auto locking rear diff
6.0l powerplant with high flow fuel rail, injectors, pump
Electric braking system for trailers with oversized brakes on the rig
Higher flow intake system
Custom glasspack exhaust system utilizing the stock tail pipe
Lowered transfer case ratio from the factory (I forget what ratio he had put into it, but it's LOW)

Here's a snap of her, she's aweful nice and never gives me much trouble. Though she won't light them up from the nice powerplant because of that locker, she HAS outraced a Neon SRT or whatever that Dodge rice burner Joey had at work LOL

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww207/SepYJ/S7303840.jpg

Those are my rigs, love them both. I used to have a `78 CJ powered by a 304. I miss that thing so much, so glad to have a Jeep again though!

limegreentj
05-04-2009, 07:27 PM
nice rides, you gotta do a lift before you go tube fenders though, IMO. and paint those damn mirrors black! lol....im not a fan of chrome. i also built a set of those mirror brackets and bought a 10 buck set of mirrors from advance, a cheap but good mod!

Sep
05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
I don't like the chrome idea either, but it'll sit like that for now. And as for the tubes, I'm gonna be making them myself, so it may take a while. No need for a lift first off, I want to see what clearance I can get myself first. I'm going to make front and rears soon enough, just gotta get the time. I'm thinking of actually extending the existing fenders with tube/sheet metal to make a nice looking flat fender design. May be difficult, but I've got the plans in the works. :)

I just bought the brackets for the mirrors as I didn't feel like fabbing anything up for them. I drilled the stock damned torx heads out... what devilish mind came up with the idea of Torx heads anyways? However, it worked out nice and I'm legal doorless. I love the looks the local po-po's give me now. I even was asked by a cop how I did that to my jeep and why LOL

limegreentj
05-04-2009, 08:08 PM
lol i think everyone gets goofy looks going doorless, i'm gonna be building fenders and bumpers and all that shit (this winter) i was hoping to have everything done by now but other things take priority first, soon enough though

Sep
05-04-2009, 08:16 PM
LOL, I love it when I get followed by OSHP cruisers. I know they're looking for things to pull me for BUT, knowing the entire local township division, I know the rules as well as they do, and in OH, they can't get me for doorless unless I have no drivers side mirror! :P

I'm gonna work on a custom rear bumper soon as well. My summer projects as I have no garage to work in, it sucks. BUT, wrenching is so much warmer in the summer LOL

What type of Jeep is that? Looks like a TJ only in Lime Green. I didn't think a Jeep would look good in Lime, but you pulled it off well!

limegreentj
05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
yep its a tj-my sis rolled it over 6 months after i bought it, i just bought my first house last may (with a garage + a mechanics pit) when my wife and i were looking for houses a garage was a must! but now i need tons of tools. im a welder/fabber for a living but just bought my first home welder a few weeks ago....i wish i had more money to buy some steel and stuff but since the jeep was totalled i spent all my money repairing it back to normal and ran out of money for all that cool stuff, but now its slowly coming along, but...like any project it'll never be done

Sep
05-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Heck yeah bud! I work in an Iron Foundry, so I know a LOT about welding and Iron. I used to work in a Steel fab plant down here as well. It's always fun welding. I got a small 110v CH welder for my body work and some minor welding on things inside the Jeep. I was taught how to weld by a long time welder down there so I've learned a lot about how to well. Still not as "pretty" as he can do, but my welds hold well!

I wish I had a garage to work on my gear, no matter how many tools I had LOL And a Pit, that's SWEET!

notmYJ
05-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Sep, glad you made it over here. Your in for a ride. lol.

Sep
05-05-2009, 08:03 AM
I bet I've seen worse! LOL :)

Either way, I BLAME YOU! Muahahhaha

mxracer513
05-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Nice rig looks clean. My dad has one that looks exactly like that. He's slowly changing the interior to black. He has my old black center consol in it and took all the roll bar pading off, slowly it's changing but that's what it used to look like.

Oh BTW i have a feeling you're not going to stop at tube fenders :biggrin:

Sep
05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh BTW i have a feeling you're not going to stop at tube fenders :biggrin:

Why do you say that? The plans I have are for tubed fenders that are stretched for that "flared" look along with a set of home made rockers and rear flares too :P

Megamus
05-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Why do you say that? The plans I have are for tubed fenders that are stretched for that "flared" look along with a set of home made rockers and rear flares too :P

Jeep

Just Empty Every Pocket - "Rio" will suck the money out of you as fast as a real chick

Also im sure most people will tell you a jeep is NEVER done

Good luck! nice yj

Sep
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Exactly. I usually get projects done then get bored because there's not much more for me to do with them. Rio, should keep me on my toes for quite a while to come.

:) Love my YJ, wouldn't trade it for anything! Well maybe my old `78 CJ, but that's a different story

Sycotik Skier
05-06-2009, 09:59 PM
you don't need to lift it to put tube fenders on IMO. Hell JP mag put 40's on a yj with out lift. I was running 35's with no lift but they rubbed a little and i wanted a better ride so I'm on 2.5" BDS leaves. I like the low jeep big tire look.
That's a nice lookin jeep. My boss has a similar rio but it has 4" lift and some 33" BFG at's on polished aluminum 15x10's. it looks really sharp.

Deadman 94 xj
05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I agree that you want to keep it as low as possible. IMO, you want to find a happy medium between clearance, center of gravity, and a little up travel is always nice.

Sep
05-07-2009, 05:10 AM
Later one I'd like to get to 4" with 33's and switch over to 4.88 gears. I first want to finish a bunch of other things before I go that far.

And when I do switch to 4.88's, I want to do it myself and use better axles lol