PDA

View Full Version : Bent up a TJ front cage this weekend

justin'sbig7
05-18-2009, 10:01 PM
had a guy come down for a front sport cage tie in for a tj. so i bent it up and it turned out really nice.

heres some pics

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/justinsbig7/fabrication/rollcagepics025-1.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/justinsbig7/fabrication/rollcagepics034.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/justinsbig7/fabrication/rollcagepics038.jpg

more pics on my photobucket account http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/justinsbig7/fabrication/

not too bad for a first project.

mxracer513
05-18-2009, 10:21 PM
I like it, that's one muddy TJ!

busij44
05-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Looks good Justin.......nice work!!

96greenxjjeep
05-18-2009, 10:30 PM
how much would somthiing like this cost

justin'sbig7
05-18-2009, 10:50 PM
including material, with the DOM i have here,(prices of tube fluctuate) this would cost $300 to have bent up, notched, welded, and installed. $50 extra for the frame tie in.

Deadman 94 xj
05-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Justin, I'll get a hold of you very soon! Nice work. I plan to have the interior removed for the instal. The dash will be the hardest part, on an xj. I'll pm you later on.

JeepGeneral
05-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Looks good, but why not go through the dash? I would think the A pillar would be in the way.

limegreentj
05-18-2009, 11:29 PM
dude will probably have to be careful not to hit his knees for a little while, but goin down thru the dash would suck.

tjblair
05-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Looks good, but why not go through the dash? I would think the A pillar would be in the way.

X2 looks good but that pillar would be a knee buster.

Peccavi18
05-19-2009, 12:31 AM
dude will probably have to be careful not to hit his knees for a little while, but goin down thru the dash would suck.

I've never actually done it but I have seen it after it was done, and had my dash out, other than cutting the vent supply hoses and putting a hole through the dash there isn't much to it. The corners of the dash are pretty empty. And if you are anal about it I'm sure it wouln't be hard to make new supply hoses for the vents even.

limegreentj
05-19-2009, 09:52 AM
yeah thats true, maybe they didnt have a hole saw, i dunno. lol

Wrecker
05-19-2009, 11:00 AM
I see 1 thing that worries me. The front tubes come straight down and then bend forward to the floor. If this was to go over with some force, I believe they wound bend into the seats. This would aloow it to crush down. The tubes look like they would come into the seat area. Pinnining legs maybe? It is just a thought from the pics.

always broke
05-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Looks good! Sure maybe there's some better ideas, but its definitely better than just a soft top over your skull.

13below0
05-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Going thru the dash is not all the hard. You dont need to get rid of any vents etc.

justin'sbig7
05-19-2009, 02:56 PM
i suggested going through the dash, but the guy didnt want to cut his dash. that is the reason behind doing it this way. he liked the M.O.R.E. kit so thats the way we went with it. i can do just about anything anybody wants, its just tube and bends.

as far as hitting your knees, its no where near as bad as you might think. at first i wouldnt have put one in my tj as i am picky about having space, but after seeing it completed and sittin in it, i wouldnt think twice about bendin one for my tj

CESCO
05-19-2009, 03:50 PM
don't forget about liability, hope your insurance is paid up... that is why I don't want to bend any for people, and it is not the people you are bending it for it is the insurance companies.

dan58
05-19-2009, 04:53 PM
I've never actually done it but I have seen it after it was done, and had my dash out, other than cutting the vent supply hoses and putting a hole through the dash there isn't much to it. The corners of the dash are pretty empty. And if you are anal about it I'm sure it wouln't be hard to make new supply hoses for the vents even.

You nailed it. It's not that hard and gives a much cleaner look.

justin'sbig7
05-20-2009, 08:36 PM
don't forget about liability, hope your insurance is paid up... that is why I don't want to bend any for people, and it is not the people you are bending it for it is the insurance companies.

yeah, they can be a PITA

joe_and_jeep
05-22-2009, 05:40 PM

I bent a cage for a couple ppl. Actually I didn't call it a cage. You word it as a roll cage and it fails (Even if it was designed correctly) there is room for a lawsuit. It is simply a sport bar, or something as the sort. Not intended for rollover protection ;)

I know Justin is just doing it to help his friends and hope no one ever is an idiot about it. But it seems its the honest guy just trying to help someone out is the one that gets boned.

Deadman 94 xj
05-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Anything is better than nothing in my situation. If I roll my jeep and die, I doubt very much that the "cage" will be to blame. Especially since an xj will fold like a taco without one.

There are plenty of after market cage designs out there, I've never heard of the manufacturer being sued. Most of them do have a disclaimer that states that their purpose is not for roll over protection, but for show.

justin'sbig7
05-22-2009, 08:39 PM
i actually have a waiver that needs signed for any sport bars i build. i also only build "sport" bars and cages and claim no function other than asthetics. i hate that i have to do that, makes me feel like i dont trust my work. what a shithole society we live in.

i also researched the other sport cage manufacturers out there and i havent seen much as far as disclaimers or waivers, so that isnt much help.

Deadman 94 xj
05-22-2009, 10:21 PM
i also researched the other sport cage manufacturers out there and i havent seen much as far as disclaimers or waivers, so that isnt much help.

I know, bad example but this is one I remember reading. They're hardly a cage manufacturer but you get the idea. I'm sure if I wasn't a lazy ass and clicked on a few saved links I could show a couple real cages that say the same.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RA-RB50-XJ&Category_Code=ROLL

Deadman 94 xj
05-22-2009, 10:47 PM
To be honest, the whole idea of being sued is a little over the top anyway. I like the idea of having customers sign a waiver but other than that, who really gives a shit. You might get one out of a thousand idiots, if that.

justin'sbig7
05-23-2009, 10:04 AM
yeah, i tend to agree. in my research lately, i have also found out that with "inherently dangerous activities", it almost relieves liability off of anyone other than the vehicle operator. kinda like if you are gonna be involved in these activities then its your own damn fault

limegreentj
05-23-2009, 11:12 AM
just like if i break something on someones property riding my dirtbike....i would never sue them. its my own fault. i actually was riding at a guys track a few years ago and broke both my feet. I signed a waiver but the dude was still worried...i laughed and told him he had nothing to worry about and would never have a problem with me even if i broke my neck

justin'sbig7
08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
well, after quite a few wheelin trips i asked the guy if hes had any problems or things he'd do differently with the sport bar. the only thing he would have done different was add a couple of grab handles. he said he hasnt hit his knees or had any trouble getting in or out and hes a tall guy too. :icon_super: i like hearing good stuff about my work. when i eventually put one in my tj, i think i am goin to go through the dash though.

limegreentj
08-05-2009, 10:22 PM
good news man!

Sycotik Skier
08-06-2009, 12:15 AM
If I ever get my heep running right I plan on stopping out and having you bend up a sport cage for mine.

justin'sbig7
11-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Well, got some bad and good news. Bad : The jeep that I did this cage for went rubber side up a few weeks ago. Good: Everyone is okay and no injuries. The cage did its job and held up well. I haven't seen pics of the jeep yet, but I am ju glad no one was hurt.

Wrecker
11-16-2009, 09:58 AM
It would be interesting to see the pics and have some details. That way it can be seen what worked for a certain situation. Since no one here really wants to volunteer to be a crash test dummy.