PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler 8 .25 locker...

cityslicker
06-03-2009, 02:25 PM
What would be a good locker to get for the chrysler rear axel?
I was looking around on 4wd.com and saw very little offered.. but the powertax one was a decent price.. but I'd rather get some opinions on here before I make a decision..

I'd rather buy a locker I think then a winch... maybe you can advise me on that convaluded idea too..

trailblaze
06-03-2009, 03:24 PM
i ran a used power trax locker in my 8.25 and loved it. i paid 225 shipped. if you don't plan on running huge tires (33+) you will be more than fine...

as for the winch vs locker.... i'd say get the locker... then get the winch. you will eventually need both.

i never needed my winch. the locker and smart wheeling got me through everything i did.

Wrecker
06-03-2009, 03:27 PM
I just put the powertrax no slip in mine last Fri. It seems to work good. I was happy with it on Sat at the car show. Makes some noise, but that just makes it more hard core. Just kidding. The only thing I was not expecting is when going down the highway it seems to push one way or the other when you give it some gas. Super easy to put in also.

cityslicker
06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
I just put the powertrax no slip in mine last Fri. It seems to work good. I was happy with it on Sat at the car show. Makes some noise, but that just makes it more hard core. Just kidding. The only thing I was not expecting is when going down the highway it seems to push one way or the other when you give it some gas. Super easy to put in also.

easy to put in ehhhhh...
that sounds nice.

limegreentj
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
wrecker, i've never seen your jeep...got any pics?

Wrecker
06-03-2009, 04:33 PM
There is one picture from the car show. Just the backend. I have never really posted many. It looks a stock XJ. 2 inch lift 30" MT's on stock rims. I sorta like the plend in look.

XJchris98
06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Im assuming if you have a 2000 XJ, then you'll have the 29spline 8.25.

If your looking for something like a 'lunchbox' style locker, your options are powertrax or aussie.

Aussie has a GREAT reputation in the 4x4 world for dependable and durable lockers, but, they just came out with the version for the 29spline. Last I had heard they got the bugs worked out with it (original version had issues), but you might want to read up over on NAXJA about it. I know theres been alot of talk about it from people that have been using them.

I've never heard much about the powertrax, but I think thats mostly because of the ~$400 price tag.

Short of a lunchbox locker, you'd be looking at something like an ARB. Its a selectable locker, but will run you near $1000 to get everything (compressor, locker, hose/fittings, etc. + install). You can install a powertrax or aussie in your driveway with basic hand tools and limited knowledge of on the subject matter.

http://offroadlockers.com/
http://www.arbusa.com/

aquaholic
06-03-2009, 04:53 PM
i have an aussie locker in my 8.25. three offroad trips and about 1200 street miles. no problems at all. i paid $329 for it shipped direct from aussielocker.com
<cite></cite>

limegreentj
06-03-2009, 05:06 PM
jay (jeepxj3) likes his aussie......but i dont think he has an 8.25

cityslicker
06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
very helpfull.. thanks guys.. I'll look into the aussie.. I don;t have a stack to burn,,,so gotta go cheeeep

Wrecker
06-05-2009, 10:41 AM
I found Jegs to be the cheapest and instock on the Powertrax if you go that route. That and it is there the next day with them It was around 360 if I remember.

trailblaze
06-05-2009, 11:08 AM
used is another way to go too.... these lockers are built good.. just familiarize yourself with them so you know what to look for.

cityslicker
06-08-2009, 01:09 PM
you have a line on anyone with a used one?
the only places I know to look for used parts is here hrja and craigslist.
I would love to do it as low budget as possible if they are as sturdy as you suggest.

XJchris98
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Jeepforum might be a longshot, but they sometime go up for sale on NAXJA.

cityslicker
06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
damn it's only 300 bucks from aussielocker.com.. tighhhhhhhhht... maybe I'll be able to afford one brand new here soon...... that would be tit monkeys

trailblaze
06-08-2009, 01:18 PM
x2 on jeepforum where i bought mine.