PDA

View Full Version : TJ Steering

fsidari
11-29-2004, 04:03 PM
My steering is all messed up. The steering box has been leaking for about two weeks now while I try to decide what to do. Now after Wellsville my wheel is turned about 1/2 way to keep the wheels straight and heading down the road I have about 1/3 turn play.

Anyways I was going to go with AGR's SuperBox 2 setup...but am now thinking about their RockRam setup. I am running 33's but will probably go to 35's next year. Also, I have a 4-banger which I love, but its power at idle is limited.

I know Psyco has made a home-brew assist steering, but becuase I don't have the tools for fabbing parts and this will be in my DD I will be going with a commercial product.

Any thoughts on going to the RockRam when I upgrade?

OverkillZJ
11-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Rock Ram = the shiznit

AGR = seriously overpriced crap! ;)

Look into a J10 steering box, lower gearing in the box.

Mel85CJ
11-29-2004, 04:28 PM
You could get a wagoneer box, I hear that is an upgrade for a TJ and bolts right in...

-Mel

OverkillZJ
11-29-2004, 05:01 PM
You could get a wagoneer box, I hear that is an upgrade for a TJ and bolts right in...

-Mel

I once heard the wagoneer box is the J10 box, could be the same thing! :D

I need to get hold of Mark, he did a LOT of research into what boxes cross-reference to what. Turns out the TJ box is just the same as some cheap-ass Chevy<?> box, and they double the price.

He bought the cheaper box, new for like $90, and it's identical to his old TJ box...

psychobilly
11-29-2004, 06:23 PM
I did a lot of looking into this when I did my steering. The saginaw box you refer too is very common, it is found on numerous jeep and GM vehicles but can be found in different forms. There is a faster ratio (less power, not good for the woods) and then slower ratios (the slower the ratio the stronger your steering). I have lost all the info I had on it as far as vehicle-years and ratio but some google searching can probably turn something up. There were 2 different but common bolt patterns on the saginaw box and there may even be some odd-ball patterns so if swapping around be sure to see that everything is the same or be prepared to do some modification. My home brew assist actually works well and I myself would run it on the street in a second, but I know how it was done and know there is no chance of something binding and causing the steering to lock up or anything. I add that "not for street use" warning simply to cover my ass because I cannot assure that anyone doing the mod will do it properly. I'm also not sure if it is street legal, it however would be no different than the rock ram as far as legality. I could make you the caps for super cheap that you would just need to pop on your box and run lines to. Then set up a rock ram and bam...done..hydro assist. or if you need a box, I could even set you up a whole box, just bolt it on, run the lines and hook up a ram. Save mucho mucho mucho bux.

fsidari
11-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Alright, before I jump into the easy but expensive way out (AGR) I will look into doing it from scratch.

First off, does anyone have a recomendation on a good parts yard in the Pittsburgh or Butler County area? I'd like to get an idea on what a used steering box will cost, since I know I need that regardless or the route I take. I've priced new boxes from Advanced Auto, Dealer, 4WDH and if I have to go new it is just as costly to do AGR as it is to do OEM.

Thanks for the info.

fsidari
11-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I have gone ahead and ordered up the AGR SuperBox 2 and matching pump. Since I need to drive my junk every day I don't have the luxury or time to do-it myself or scout around for parts.

Someday while I am planning for a front axle upgrade I will consider the hydro-assist steering upgrade some more.

LordAthens
11-30-2004, 07:20 PM
If you go hydro, do you plan on going full hydro or just hydro assist?

Full hydro IMO is not meant to be on a vehicle that is daily driven..

My 2c.

fsidari
11-30-2004, 07:31 PM
It will be a ways off now that I made the purchase. If it continues to be my DD the just assist. If it grows to just a pile of trail junk then full hydro will be considered. :lol:

OverkillZJ
12-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Full hydro on a jeep that goes on the street for any distance is usually a bad thing. Corey almost wrecked the Chalupa at GSW this summer.

It's hyrdo assist now!

gearhead313
12-01-2004, 12:31 AM
crap... you should have stuck out for a j10/waggy box. why? b/c they are the same exact thing. Rumor is the AGR box is just a freshened up waggy box that they sell and make mad profit off of.

I work in butler and could probably point you in 3-4 different yards that would surely have one.....but if you already got one comin then o well.

psychobilly
12-01-2004, 01:47 PM
I know of no where around butler to look for that stuff but lots of places around indiana.

gearhead313
12-02-2004, 10:08 AM
just a few places off the top of my head:

Wagners
Offsteins
Novaks
Reges
Renick
Walters

i could open the rolodex, but i bet you could get more than you need from those listed there.

fsidari
12-02-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks I will look them up when I need parts in the future. Are the pick-n-pull yards or do they do the tear downs and just stock used parts?

I know AGR was expensive, but when I am leaking fluid everywhere and need a reliable DD for work I just paid for convenience.

2002wranglerX
12-02-2004, 04:20 PM
the waggy boxes are direct bolt ons . . . .

gearhead313
12-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks I will look them up when I need parts in the future. Are the pick-n-pull yards or do they do the tear downs and just stock used parts?

I know AGR was expensive, but when I am leaking fluid everywhere and need a reliable DD for work I just paid for convenience.

they are all pull yourself except Novak's. They dont let you in their yard...which is ghey b/c i heard there were some engine swaps i was getting jew'd out of b/c the employee's get first crack at it.