PDA

View Full Version : PA inspection

desperado
06-10-2009, 08:34 AM
I am on the trail ride in Eau Claire this past weekend and notice lots of inspection stickers on rigs. I have yet to get mine inspected. The "usual" garage I go to for my other vehicles gave me a laundry list the size of texas. Anybody out there know a relatively local garage that will put a sticker on my "slightly" less than legal TJ???

2002wranglerX
06-10-2009, 08:39 AM
what all isn't legal? Depending on the severity i can recommend a few places/people.

Powerguy37
06-10-2009, 08:42 AM
:popcorn:

2002wranglerX
06-10-2009, 08:48 AM
well i mean if someone's giving him a hard time about flares being too wide, modified suspension, or something like that, that's one thing.

If it's unsafe to drive that's another. But by looking at his avatar, if that's his jeep i bet it's some BS mod crap....

Super Scout
06-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Yeah depends on what is wrong. I know I took my Scout to place that basically laughed at me found another mechanic inspected it without thinking twice. Some guys are real a$$es. I had a mechanic refuse to inspect my DD a 2002 silverado because I had an airaid intake on it, no lie. Let me know what they claim is wrong with it I maybe able to recommend a few places. Went to school at cal u so I know a few local shops.

.J u s t i n
06-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm slightly unhappy with inspection shops at the moment as well. Granted I'm from MD and we only have a one time inspection when you purchase a new car but anyways...the GF took her Mustang to get inspected and the guy calls her back and says that he is going to fail it because it doesnt have any catalytic converters on it. Unfortunately by the time she let me know she got this phone call the shop was already closed and I couldnt give them my .02 because I clearly knew this car had cats on it.

They called her back this morning and said that the guy who was inspecting it made a mistake and there were definitely cats on it....HOW THE HELL DO YOU MESS THAT UP???

On another note the car has drilled/slotted rotors on them that are brand new and meet OEM spec...they failed it because of those too and told her it would be 350 to put regular ones back on it. Yeah riiiiiiight...wait until I stop by later to "pick it up" Sorry that was my little rant, in a nutshell just ask around some shops up there and see what some of them say. Some might be more lenient than others.

xeccllc
06-10-2009, 09:20 AM
:popcorn:

the funniest thing ever dana... lmfao

desperado
06-10-2009, 09:20 AM
well I know the tires will have to be downsized for inspection np
but they want both bumpers extended
reinstall rear traction bar
replace all the bushings in the lift kit
replace all the shocks
replace front steering links
secure all the brake lines
replace all the ball joints
replace exhaust hanger

...some of these are legit I guess the bumpers and bushing are what I would want to not have to do anything with. The ball joints are just them trying to drum up work.
and the steering linkages could probably use new t-rod ends not the whole thing replaced. there are a plethera of other smaller things to new wipers,turn signal,license plate bracket etc... that are also legit. Not trying to get away with an "unsafe" vehicle just got the feeling that these guys are not used to custom crawler type jeeps. And they are nixing anything that might be "iffy" whithout actually knowing wether they need done.

xeccllc
06-10-2009, 09:22 AM
whwere are you from... i do state inspections.... i could check it out for you...

xeccllc
06-10-2009, 09:26 AM
replace all the shocks
replace exhaust hanger

...some of these are legit I guess the bumpers and bushing are what I would want to not have to do anything with. The ball joints are just them trying to drum up work.
and the steering linkages could probably use new t-rod ends not the whole thing replaced. there are a plethera of other smaller things to new wipers,turn signal,license plate bracket etc... that are also legit. Not trying to get away with an "unsafe" vehicle just got the feeling that these guys are not used to custom crawler type jeeps. And they are nixing anything that might be "iffy" whithout actually knowing wether they need done.

replace exhaust hanger...... i see these ya.......

tires will have to be downsized for inspection.....no big deal
but they want both bumpers extended.... w t f??? no big deal
reinstall rear traction bar ... it had it when i did it.... lol
replace all the bushings in the lift kit... um???????
replace all the shocks.... um are they bad????
replace front steering links.... im guess you have heim joints????

where you located???

skeebs
06-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Yeah, it does sound like they are just trying to get some business out of you. I see some of the items as legit, but most seem to be BS. I hate places like that.

What area are you from and how far are you willing to travel for an inspection sticker? Do you need emmisions as well? This will really help us out.

desperado
06-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I am in little Washington, Wolfdale actually.
Like I said most of these may need done...which is fine by me
I would just rather have it done at a place that knows for sure
what has to be done rather than just "winging" which is what it
seems the local place is doing. Not knocking them at all its just
not their thing and I dont want to have to pay for their "experience"
or lack thereof. If your in eightyfour that not too far at all

2002wranglerX
06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
replace all the shocks
replace exhaust hanger

wow sounds like they nit picked on some things. I can understand if it needs new tie-rod ends (if yours are worn) or ball joints, but to give you a hard time about a license plate bracket is pure BS. You have to have your plate lit, but that's about it.

how are you not running a rear trac-bar on a TJ?

i dunno, i guess i'm not one to talk though since certain people who have owned all of 2 jeeps in their lifetime have deemed some of the jeeps i've owned "unsafe" lol.

But you should be able to find someone to help you out on this stuff. Take care of the legit stuff, and find someone that doesn't care about the bumper BS and that kind of thing.

desperado
06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
how are you not running a rear trac-bar on a TJ?

I guess the fellow that put the rubicon long arm kit on before me thought it would articulate better on the rocks without the trac-bar. It is a bit "squirly" in the back when your on the road. Probably one of the "legit" items. I purchased this from a wheeler in Ohio apparantly they have NO rules there so I am at a slight dissadvantage ....

desperado
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
whwere are you from... i do state inspections.... i could check it out for you...

I appreciate that I will check out your website get your contact info. If your shop is in meadowlands thats real close I will call you and bring it by sometime soon.

jeepin ruby
06-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Wait, what? No rear track bar on a TJ! How is that even possible (unless its triangulated) I wouldnt drive it ten feet like that!

Are you sure they wernt talking about your rear SWAY links?

desperado
06-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Wait, what? No rear track bar on a TJ! How is that even possible (unless its triangulated) I wouldnt drive it ten feet like that!

the rubicon express long arm kit has two bars attaching to brackets on top of rar axle. And then there are two brackets on the front of the rear axle that are supposed to have a big u-shaped "sway" bar on them connecting to the frame that is what is missing and they are telling me has to be reinstalled...its like $200.00 to purchase.

limegreentj
06-10-2009, 10:12 AM
replace all the shocks
replace exhaust hanger

these actually all seem legit to me...but what the hell do i know?

tjblair
06-10-2009, 10:16 AM
He probably means sway bar.

Wrecker
06-10-2009, 10:31 AM
In the future have the things you know need done first. Most shops only charge once. So what happens is the guy pulls it in, sees all the obvius(sp) things. Gets jacked because he is wasting his time knowing he will be reinspecting it later. Then he troughs the book at it. Been there, done that.

I always hated doing inspection on shit rides on Sat. Always wanted Saturdays to go smooth. So someone books a peice of shit Pontiac for a Sat. Guy brings it in. I tell him he should have done during the week. I am not spending all day tryingh to fix his rusty lump, is what I am thinking. He tells me it is fine. U joints, mispatched size tires rusty floors the list goes on. Then he asked me what it would take to get a sticker on it. I told him an act of God.

So the moral of the story is try your best to make it right before you take. Ask when you make the appoinment about anything your not sure about. It will help you get a feel for how easy the guy is and he more that likely be more willing to work with you.

xeccllc
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM

ya i was thinking sway links too...

2002wranglerX
06-10-2009, 11:14 AM
ya it sounds like you need a sway bar.

Is your sway bar there but with no end links? My TJ passed no sway bars front or rear. But they weren't there at all.

gonecheenin
06-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Best thing to do is get to know a paticular small shop & its manager/owner & then they'll do everything they can to be reasonable to you during a safety inspection.

In PA bottom line is NO inspection mechanic has to put a sticker on ANYTHING!

Totally up to the tech, & according to the inspection book a vehicle modified in ANY way does not pass PA state inspection. However, the book also gives you guidelines should you wish to go ahead & inspect a modified vehicle anyway.

And like you said, if its a setup their not familiar with, then they might have no idea whats safe or not about it & therefore want to error on the side of caution (OR just throw the book @ you to make you go away so they don't have to deal with it).

limegreentj
06-10-2009, 11:37 AM
i always stick to the small shops also....the big places are not very trustworthy....they stick it in yer ass first chance they get....just as cheenin said....get to know a small shop and the owner....best thing you can do, not only will you get to know them but they'll get to know you and figure out if all your cars are in sound shape and each time you bring a car in, the easier they'll be with you

xeccllc
06-10-2009, 11:47 AM
i am an inspection mechanic.. if i look at a vehicle.. whether its a lifted xj or chevy full size, or its a lowered eclipse running nitrous... it dont matter.... my thing is the car safe....

part of the inspection is a TEST DRIVE.... if i drive a car... and it dont seem right.... it fails....

as far as lift kits, lowering kits, big tires, etc.... non of that stuff matters to me if it is safe.... if the vehicle was modded CORRECTLY.... then ill sticker it...

LOL YOU CANT HAVE 2X4'S AND 4X4'S FOR LIFT KITS, NO BLOCKS ON FRONT AXLES, NO PAINTED CARDBOARD FOR FENDER FLARES.... ETC... LOL.... I HAVE SEEN SOME CRAZY SH*T......

xeccllc
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
i always stick to the small shops also....the big places are not very trustworthy....they stick it in yer ass first chance they get....just as cheenin said....get to know a small shop and the owner....best thing you can do, not only will you get to know them but they'll get to know you and figure out if all your cars are in sound shape and each time you bring a car in, the easier they'll be with you
i worked for "the big shops".. we did nit pick at it all.... brakes, 3/32's.... you need them... state inspection says 2/32's..... we got everyone for everything.... so ya you got a very good point.... i now have my own shop.... detailing, window tinting, accessories, performance.... i know what its like to try to get a modded car inspected.... hence is why i still have my inspectors license... lol....

what it is, a lot of inspectors dont know the reasoning for some of the mods.... they dont understand how some things work.... hence, sway bar disconnects and stuff.... thats why they give such a hard time....

my cars always pass..... lol:D

justin'sbig7
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
In PA bottom line is NO inspection mechanic has to put a sticker on ANYTHING!

Totally up to the tech.

not entirely true. perfect example. i failed a car for brake lines, you know the ones that just need a tickle to burst, but still, they arent leaking and hold the pedal test for inspection. i said i felt it was unsafe and failed it... well, jagoff customer turned me in. shop got fined, and were told that "it passed the test and wasnt leaking so it was safe and i should have passed it.... you are inspecting for the day it was there, and not for tomorrow". brake lines burst shortly after and we ended up fixing it, luckly no accident was caused.

about a year later, i get another similar vehicle. same thing, lines crusty as hell, passed the pedal test, lines not leaking. passes for the day and gets a sticker. the guy sold the truck and about 2 weeks later, and the new owner wrecks it because a line burst and he lost brakes. they investigate, it has my new sticker on it. why didnt you fail it?.... uh, because it passed the tests prescribed by the state for the day it was there.... but you should have seen the lines would blow in the near future and deemed it unsafe....yes, i made a note on the repair order that they would need replaced in the near future as they were very rusty but passed the test for inspection. since i only inspect for the day its there and not for tomorrow... remember?.... WTF??? i reminded the officer about the previous case, he mumbled something bout mechanics responsibilities and took the shops SI license for 6 months.

so its kind of a damned if you do damned if you dont kind of thing when it comes down to it

gonecheenin
06-10-2009, 05:18 PM
so its kind of a damned if you do damned if you dont kind of thing when it comes down to it

Thats bullshit, shoulda drug that one to court it sounds like

Funny thing is a friend of mine complained to the state police about a vehicle not getting passed before & he was told exactly what I had understood from the state inspection classes (which is as I stated above, it was purely up to the discretion of the technician)

Just goes to show it doesn't matter what it is, where, or how

You play the game long enough you can get away with or caught for anything :jeepxj3:

Made me think of a quick story though;

You know how in emmisions inspections you don't have to verify lines routings & hookups during the visual unless their in plain view? (Nother words, you don't have to dissassemble anything to do the visual)

Well this fella brings in a Cavalier to the shop I worked at & got one of the VERY good & by the book mechanics, they checked it out & everything passed OK.

Couple weeks later the station gets a citation in the mail, turns out said Cav was a spot checker & they had disconnected a line to see if we'd catch it. Hitch is, THE FREAKIN LINE WAS DISCONNECTED @ THE POLUTION CANISTER HIDDEN IN THE FENDER!

So they go to court, the court waves the license suspension or whatever but of course we still have to pay the fine.

Totally rediculous, its no wonder there's certian techs out there that ignore certian parts of the book in its stupidity & are more then happy to fix you up with a sticker as long as the vehicle is overall safe to operate.

Jpdst29
06-10-2009, 05:46 PM
[quote=xeccllc;162242]LOL YOU CANT HAVE 2X4'S AND 4X4'S FOR LIFT KITS/quote]

even if it is pressure treated??? lol.

some moron in bridgeville has a pressure treated 2x8 front and rear bumper on his truck. i laugh my ass off everytime i see it.

xeccllc
06-11-2009, 10:33 AM
[quote=xeccllc;162242]LOL YOU CANT HAVE 2X4'S AND 4X4'S FOR LIFT KITS/quote]

even if it is pressure treated??? lol.

some moron in bridgeville has a pressure treated 2x8 front and rear bumper on his truck. i laugh my ass off everytime i see it.

lmfao... i knew some guy that had a treated 2x8 for the rear bumper on an old cutlass... those g bodies woiuld rot the rear frame out... it was f**kin funny

Leady
06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
[quote=Jpdst29;162304]

lmfao... i knew some guy that had a treated 2x8 for the rear bumper on an old cutlass... those g bodies woiuld rot the rear frame out... it was f**kin funny

that would look funny.

xeccllc
06-11-2009, 11:38 AM
ya it was.....

gonecheenin
06-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Some wood bumpers make sense though, like those pusher trucks that run up Lernerville

Granted they are metal backed most of the time.

Leady
06-11-2009, 12:52 PM
my dad made bumpers out of c channel for his 77 3/4 ton he used to have and any performance mods he did were useless afterwards because they were so heavy. So I can see why wood bumpers might be a good idea. Just not on a cutlass. hahaha

88wd21
06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
[quote=Jpdst29;162304]

They at least used to make sections to just weld on for them things they were so common.

Mechanic's discretion is a fine line, some people see it as cautious, some as being a jerk. It's actually kind of funny to look underneath some of the cars that have brand new stickers though

JDOG308
06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Ha ha funny i knew the same guy with with the rear bumber. Lol

xeccllc
06-11-2009, 10:53 PM
lol ya it was you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmfao

xeccllc
06-11-2009, 10:56 PM
I appreciate that I will check out your website get your contact info. If your shop is in meadowlands thats real close I will call you and bring it by sometime soon.

ya i live in eighty four...

my shop is in meadow lands...