PDA

View Full Version : The Mutt

mudforblood
06-11-2009, 11:01 PM
I bought the punisher from DMG to build up a little. Before DMG got it, it was called the choo choo train so I figured I had to rename it also. The Mutt is all I could come up with.:102: Its a mix of parts and I'm just gonna add more.

My plan now is to just run it the way it is for a while to get a feel for what I want to change. I do have a front 60 with an OX locker that will make it in someday. The engine will get replaced once I figure out which way to go. I got a 4.0L, 4.3, 5.0 or even the truggy 400m available to throw in. All of them will require some mods. Hmmm, decisions.

I can post more details as things come together but for now I took care of the biggest part tonight.:gear_lol2:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031831.jpg

Nothingface5384
06-11-2009, 11:14 PM
good sh!t

Peccavi18
06-11-2009, 11:33 PM
A tent was the biggest thing? This rain coulda helped you out, you will need a shovel to find the floor in that thing. :033: I am glad it is sold I had the thought run through my head a few times about selling my shit and going for this since it was already illegal and something you don't mind beating. How soon does the build up begin? I know there are alot of small things you can tinker with till you figure out the engine and front axle deal.

mudforblood
06-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Biggest thing was getting a YJ hood and grill on it, not the tent.:021::flipoff2:

All I need for the front 60 is 4.10 gears and a high steer for the pass. side and it should bolt right up. I want to gather/have access to stuff for hydro assist cause it probably wont steer once the 60 is in. If it does steer then I'll run it.

The engine also depends on how long this one lasts and what I have ready to throw in. The 78 400m with a 429 points dist. could be in there in a few hours with one wire.:077: might be little big though.:101:

I gotta find a long side axle shaft to get it going for now. Probably mess with it this weekend cleaning misc. things up and check out the engine some. It gives me goosebumps hearing it run. Then get it out wheelin and get a feel for it.

Peccavi18
06-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Didn't even notice,:lame: they looked the same color in the pic, kinda skimmed past.:flipoff2: J/k Looks good, and does sound like a beast, I'm kinda jealous.

Make sure you check the leaf springs. I looked at it for a minute on Tuesday and it looked like the eyes were pulling out on the front 2.

mxg342
06-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Good to see you back around Jeff.

gonecheenin
06-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Biggest thing was getting a YJ hood and grill on it,

Yes sir, first things first!

I gotta find a long side axle shaft to get it going for now.

$199apc Yukon inners through complete offroad, no more inner axle breakage ever if you run stock outer stubs

No doubt :icon_super:

skeebs
06-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Why would you go to the odd-ball rectangular headlights of a YJ front clip (no offense YJ owners, I just never really cared much for the rectangular headlights (NOT "SQUARE" LIKE MOST REFER TO THEM AS) vs. the good look of the CJ front clip? Was the hood & grille on it in bad shape?

Keep in mind, I know absolutely nothing about this rig. I didn't read all the OLD threads on PGH Offroad to know who owned it, and it's progress thru life....

Congrats on the buy though :)

gonecheenin
06-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Why would you go to the odd-ball rectangular headlights of a YJ front clip (no offense YJ owners, I just never really cared much for the rectangular headlights (NOT "SQUARE" LIKE MOST REFER TO THEM AS) vs. the good look of the CJ front clip? Was the hood & grille on it in bad shape?

Hood & grill were fine I believe

For me, the reasons are as follows (in order of importance)

1) Pisses of the Jeep purists who believe the YJ was the bastard child of the Jeeps.

2) Love of the YJ, probably because it was considered the bastard child of the Jeeps, results in my really liking the looks of the YJ front end.

3) the 1" lower hood line is more compact & easier to see over.

4) has a more modern look to it.

5) I'm just rambling now

6) OK, I'm done.

Someday I will find a nice CJ-5 & install a YJ front clip just for the fun of it
> : )

skeebs
06-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Hood & grill were fine I believe

1) Pisses of the Jeep purists who believe the YJ was the bastard child of the Jeeps.

2) Love of the YJ, probably because it was considered the bastard child of the Jeeps, results in my really liking the looks of the YJ front end.

3) the 1" lower hood line is more compact & easier to see over.

4) has a more modern look to it.

5) I'm just rambling now

6) OK, I'm done.

Someday I will find a nice CJ-5 & install a YJ front clip just for the fun of it

You crack me up man :)

(3), I was unaware of that......see, you DO learn something new every day.

I just hope you all don't thnk that I don't like YJ's because I sure do, I just like the round ligths better for some reason.

mudforblood
06-12-2009, 05:53 PM

Thanks. I was kinda busy and also bored with wheelin what I had. Everything needed fixed in one way or another and I couldnt figure out which way to go(too many vehicles didnt help the situation:042: )

$199apc Yukon inners through complete offroad, no more inner axle breakage ever if you run stock outer stubs

Don't think I want to put that much into the 44 but ya never know. The powerplant thats in there now would be fine with that axle but once engine swaps start to happen my right foot will be snappin stubs getting on the trailer.:053: Maybe I should swap in a 2.5 to be safe.:082:

mudforblood
06-12-2009, 06:15 PM

Below is the main reason I did it. Maybe if it was a true JEEP front clip I would have left it. :jeepxj3::flipoff2:

1) Pisses off the Jeep purists who believe the YJ was the bastard child of the Jeeps.

I'm with ya on the last part. Square headlights for everyone!!!:042:

skeebs
06-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Listen spanky, they're rectangles!

Didn't your mother ever teach you anything about basic shapes when you were a child?!

;)

.J u s t i n
06-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Its hip to be square! (or rectangular...shutup Kevin ;))

Krod
06-12-2009, 11:05 PM
All I need for the front 60 is 4.10 gears and a high steer for the pass. side and it should bolt right up.

I've got a good set from Ford RC60 if you need 'em (if you're high pinion). Make me a reasonable offer!

What ever happened to the other red YJ?

...and forget the YJ haters, rectangles for life!!!

mudforblood
06-12-2009, 11:36 PM
I was gonna make some headlight comments but I'm too tired. haha. maybe tomorrow.

I've got a good set from Ford RC60 if you need 'em (if you're high pinion). Make me a reasonable offer!

What ever happened to the other red YJ?

...and forget the YJ haters, rectangles for life!!!

Sweet! I do need high pinion. What brand or age is the R&P? Any setup stuff?

The red YJ has some major cancer on the frame so the lift came off and went onto my dads YJ. I wanted to combine the body with the truggy then this came along. Thats where the hood and grill came from that is on the mutt now. For me the fun in building is gathering parts from different places and people rather than just buying off the shelf. It gives the rig character and bunch of cool history.

Krod
06-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Sweet! I do need high pinion. What brand or age is the R&P? Any setup stuff?

As far as I know its all factory 79 Ford from my front 60. I have all the gears, bearings, carrier and spiders complete. I've never personally driven on those gears, but they look excellent, including the bearings. I'll be at the garage in the heights next weekend working on my own rectangle monster if you want to swing by and have a look at them. PM me.

For me the fun in building is gathering parts from different places and people rather than just buying off the shelf. It gives the rig character and bunch of cool history.

EXACTLY :icon_super:

mudforblood
06-13-2009, 12:29 AM
/\ Sounds good. I'm fading. must sleep....

justin'sbig7
06-13-2009, 07:36 AM
good deal jeff. hope to see ya out there soon! i would put the 60 in, john (original builder of the choo choo train) had a hell of a time keepin that front end together. the hydro assist is very easy to do, mxg and myself have threads on HRJA with all the info to do it for around $150. check pirate4x4 for hi steer arms and R&P's, theres a lot of 60 stuff for sale over there

mudforblood
06-13-2009, 10:02 AM
good deal jeff. hope to see ya out there soon! i would put the 60 in, john (original builder of the choo choo train) had a hell of a time keepin that front end together. the hydro assist is very easy to do, mxg and myself have threads on HRJA with all the info to do it for around $150. check pirate4x4 for hi steer arms and R&P's, theres a lot of 60 stuff for sale over there

Thats my plan. If I find stock axle shafts to get by until I gather the gears, high steer arms and hydro assist stuff fine, if not I'll wait til the 60 is ready to bolt in and wheel.

I'll check out yinz guys' threads again to get a parts list going. Is yours holding up pretty good?

I need to research but does anyone know which 60 high steer arms will clear stock backspaced H1 rims? I'd like the option to run stock H1 rims unless its a strength issue.

justin'sbig7
06-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Thats my plan. If I find stock axle shafts to get by until I gather the gears, high steer arms and hydro assist stuff fine, if not I'll wait til the 60 is ready to bolt in and wheel.

I'll check out yinz guys' threads again to get a parts list going. Is yours holding up pretty good?

I need to research but does anyone know which 60 high steer arms will clear stock backspaced H1 rims? I'd like the option to run stock H1 rims unless its a strength issue.

mines holding up fine, i dont think matt has had any trouble either. one of the best upgrades i have done

mudforblood
06-13-2009, 11:31 PM
/\ cool

Here's a better pic in the daylight from yesterday. Didn't do anything on it today though.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031837.jpg

The doors didn't shut because the tub was squashed and kinked from when the first owner flipped it backwards onto its lid. A little work with the porta power and all the doors work somewhat. If it wouldn't have straightened out then a different tub was gonna go on which would have been a PITA. Frame tie ins from the cage and a few cross bars will sturdy it up for the next roll.:unibrow:

I'll have stock shafts in it tomorrow or monday and be ready to wheel.:074:

oros35
06-13-2009, 11:37 PM
Running the same hydroassist as the other guys, very pleased and about $150 including spare lines and fittings.

gonecheenin
06-14-2009, 09:16 AM
/\ cool

Here's a better pic in the daylight from yesterday. Didn't do anything on it today though.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031837.jpg

The doors didn't shut because the tub was squashed and kinked from when the first owner flipped it backwards onto its lid. A little work with the porta power and all the doors work somewhat. If it wouldn't have straightened out then a different tub was gonna go on which would have been a PITA. Frame tie ins from the cage and a few cross bars will sturdy it up for the next roll.:unibrow:

I'll have stock shafts in it tomorrow or monday and be ready to wheel.:074:

With the exception of the J cut in the tub - that thing is lookin' good.

When we goin' bastard Jeep wheelin' :042:

mudforblood
06-14-2009, 10:50 PM
With the exception of the J cut in the tub - that thing is lookin' good.

When we goin' bastard Jeep wheelin' :042:

I'm not a fan of the comp cut either. I thought about extending it with the back of another tub to give me more space for my kid, fuel cell and tools. :115:Or put the kid up front and the wife can sit on the fuel cell whilst holding all the tools.

I have no garage space so if it doesnt rain too hard it should be ready to bastard wheel tues. or weds.:106:

Mykal
06-14-2009, 11:02 PM
What are you doing with the old clip? I have a friend looking for one.

mudforblood
06-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Not that I'll ever get stuck but just in case I wheel with round headlight jeeps I'll be ready to pull them out.:overkill:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031842.jpg

Its a tight fight with not more than a 1/4" to spare. Its a warn M12000 I had on the truggy. Its heavy as hell and still didnt drop the front end at all, not even with me standing on it also. hrrmm.

It doesn't need a winch this big but already had it and thought the extra weight would drop the front some. Between the winch and the mount I made I should be able the lift the whole jeep in the air.

Of course I ran out of gas for the mig and found out home depot doesnt sell it anymore. Nothing else open on sunday so I blew the dust off the arc welder.:074:

This is the most detailed pic I got. Too busy fab'n.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031840.jpg

mudforblood
06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
What are you doing with the old clip? I have a friend looking for one.

I had no plan for it yet. It is cut up some though. It would be good for a buggy or trail only rig. Want better pics of it?

Mykal
06-14-2009, 11:43 PM
That would be great, I can pass them along. Itll be for a trail rig. Thanks a ton.

gonecheenin
06-15-2009, 04:27 AM
Beastly

The front springs have a military wrap on them already?

mudforblood
06-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Beastly

The front springs have a military wrap on them already?

Yep, the front springs got the wrap. I'm not sure what the packs are built from but they seem to flex good and smooth. I'll probably try drilling another hole for the main eye spring mount like yours to lower it some.

mudforblood
06-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Update on the build/rebuild:
While tearing down the front axle to put shafts in it I found out the inner wheel bearing was pretty rough and also froze to the spindle. I got it off and found out the 76? dana 44 inner is the same size as a dana 60 while the outer is the standard d44 bearing and a 77 f250 d44 inner is smaller FWIW. I found a few other minor differences and similarities with other d44's if anyone needs any info.

I put axle shafts, spindle and hub off of a 77 f250 d44 on the passenger side. That gave it the right space for internal hubs so I put a drive flange for a waggy axle I have. I left the external hub on the driver side as a possible fuse to save the stock shaft cause I always seem to break that side.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031850.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031853.jpg

Also got a YJ widshield, frame and wipers on. I drilled the hinges out so I can put hitch pins in for easy removal.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031857.jpg

96greenxjjeep
06-30-2009, 09:57 AM
nice

Alley
06-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Wow, that looks different

cityslicker
06-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I think a rectangle is a square but a square is not a rectangle... knowhatimean.

Nice rig..
So thats a yj frame roght? whats the tj part(s)?

limegreentj
06-30-2009, 12:26 PM
huh? im confused...i didnt see tj parts on it?

96greenxjjeep
06-30-2009, 03:23 PM
its a yj that had a cj clip on it

limegreentj
06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I think a rectangle is a square but a square is not a rectangle... knowhatimean.

Nice rig..
So thats a yj frame roght? whats the tj part(s)?

its a yj that had a cj clip on it

/\ i knew that but i also assumed that he saw some tj parts on it somewhere? i dunno

96greenxjjeep
06-30-2009, 03:36 PM
yea i was telling him what it was idk where he saw tj parts

mudforblood
06-30-2009, 06:07 PM
It's all YJ and ford parts so far, no TJ parts...yet!

YZEATER
06-30-2009, 09:56 PM
some so-called jeep lovers don't know their jeeps.

96greenxjjeep
06-30-2009, 10:19 PM
yea i guess so

cityslicker
07-01-2009, 04:07 PM
thought perhaps the tub or something was tj.. jeeze...
though I guess those doors scream yj huh..

well sorry

mudforblood
08-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I've been working out some bugs here and there the last few weeks between the rain. I just keep forgetting to update this. I'll be back on later but for now a teaser pic.:gear_cool2:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031905.jpg

SirFuego
08-09-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm diggin it!

Ironic that I went from rectangular headlights to round headlights -- and my Jeep doesn't even have a frame :)

john00TJ
08-09-2009, 07:39 PM
that thing is begging to be all one color ..LOL

mudforblood
08-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm diggin it!

Ironic that I went from rectangular headlights to round headlights -- and my Jeep doesn't even have a frame :)
Trying to squirm your way out of the non-round head light crowd, eh?:108:

that thing is begging to be all one color ..LOL
I can't decide what color to make it. I figure if I add a few more colors to it then I'll have them all covered. :042:

mudforblood
08-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Updates:
As I was changing the axle shaft and hub I noticed the upper ball joint was flopping around. Being in a hurry to wheel it the next day I booger welded the ball joint to the inner C.:roll: That worked for about an hour of wheeling and actually broke right beside the weld and flopped around some more. Finished the day and went home. Ahter thinking about it I measured the inner C which was opened up approx. 3/8" wider than any other d44 I have around. That must have happened when the wheel/spindle fell off at the church thing, or that caused it to fall off.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031859.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031860.jpg

So I took the LP44 out and put in a 78 HP44 til I gather more parts for the 60. That made the steering, driveshaft, caster and clearance ALOT better!
Old low pinion:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031875.jpg

Newer high pinion:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031880.jpg

You can see how the pinion on the old axle was shimmed up to help the driveshaft angle but it also screwed the caster way up. When it turned the front outside tire would roll under pretty bad. Can be seen in the pic below and its barely turned at all.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/img090.jpg

mudforblood
08-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I got rid of the upside down ford u bolt thing also. Cut a slot in the bottom web and made a 1/2" thick spring plate. The pass. side is just 3/8" with two bends. The mag drill with annular cutter I borrowed from work made all 10 holes in about two minutes.:023:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031878.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031881.jpg

DMG
08-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Looks good, man. We were going to paint is olive drab with the tubework painted silver.

Peccavi18
08-10-2009, 02:11 AM
That thing looks awesome, glad to see it all coming together. Gonna be a hell of a mocheen here soon.

gonecheenin
08-10-2009, 05:16 AM
Sweetness :icon_super:

Now you just need to throw alloys & super joints in the HPD44 & you'll never have a reason to worry about installing a ground plow, er' -/ I mean 60 :116:

When we goin' wheelin again! You get that carb ironed out anymore? When we 4.0FI'in that bee-otch!

SirFuego
08-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I figure if I add a few more colors to it then I'll have them all covered. :042:
Paint it ROY G BIV-style in vertical stripes. Then put a leprechaun and pot of gold on the front bumper.

OverkillZJ
08-10-2009, 09:42 AM
!
Sweetness :icon_super:

Now you just need to throw alloys & super joints in the HPD44 & you'll never have a reason to worry about installing a ground plow, er' -/ I mean 60 :116:

When we goin' wheelin again! You get that carb ironed out anymore? When we 4.0FI'in that bee-otch!

60's make me laugh unless you're on 40's. Then again, I laugh when I ses 40's or bigger on 44's too, it usually end in the same sound, KABOOM!

Christopher
08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
mudforblood I've seen you on the hrja forum. It's nice to see another big rig in the Butler area. Looking good

I always enjoyed plowing with my 60 and 14bolt. It gave me time to relax, talk and eat my lunch on the trail while someone was replacing a d44 joint.:popcorn:
Chris

gonecheenin
08-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Yeah, um 44's on a 44 only sounds good, it don't work anywhere near as well :icon_eyes:

I always enjoyed plowing with my 60 and 14bolt. It gave me time to relax, talk and eat my lunch on the trail while someone was replacing a d44 joint.:popcorn:
Chris

You must be in pretty good shape then? I only assume since you walked the whole way over to where the high axle clearance guys were sitting at the end of the obsticles to have these conversations. Or was the relaxing happening after the winching to the end? :flipoff2:

Besides,
I don't break joints, I only break easy to replace stubs every few months (Well, it happened once anyway), usually resulting from 38.5" Boggers crashing down from 4 foot wheelies against the rev limiter :flipoff2: (Time for 30 spline stubs baby :047: )

In all seriousness, A buddy of mine (Who is in no way a stranger to wheeling) just picked up a built high dollar TJ with Pro-Rock 60's in it rolling on Boggers.
Up @ Rock Run we were running Overpass & I walked right through an obstical he got snagged on & had to winch.
Granted it was probably dumb luck but I absolutely could NOT resist grinding in that my rusty old D44 running, 250,000 mile 4.0 YJ showed his top dollar rig up! :068:

HoodRN
08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Pfeh. I don't need gnarly trails or 44s to explode my D35. I can do it in my driveway.

YZEATER
08-10-2009, 09:18 PM
he gonna need the d60 in there, cause he'll end up putting a v8 under the hood.:096:

mudforblood
08-10-2009, 10:01 PM
:044: I knew you guys were gonna continue the axle wars. I'll address that later.

I'd like to reply to everyone but I don't have enough time.

Quick notes:
-Olive drab does sound good, or some kind of flat paint besides black. Rainbow.... not so much.:flipoff2:

-Cheenin can lend me his axle and joint combo to see if I can break em before I buy a set. LOL

-I should wheel it next at the Outback thing the 22nd for another test run. Yinz should try to make it too.

-Matt should lend me his buggy tires so I can run my front plow to match my rear plow. Hmm, maybe I should paint it IH tractor red to compliment the plows.:042:

-Chris, you should stop by if you need any ford parts for your truggy. We can have lunch.

-NO V8 in this rig. Maybe a tired old chevy V8 but not an axle snappin, frame twisting, jeep floppin ford powerhouse.

:overkill::042::flipoff2::040:
I think that sums up most of it. Carry on guys.:016:

mudforblood
08-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Anyways, I messed around with the ride height some sunday. I would like the rear to go a little lower but the rear shackle mount needs moved and probably the main spring mount also. The driveshaft and antiwrap bar is kinda limiting going any lower, otherwise the rear axle has to move back which makes the shackle pretty far from the rear crossmember.

I'm not sure what I'll do. First will probably move the shackle mount up on the bumper and see how everything clears. If its still too high or too far back I might look into different main leaves. Dunno?:017: It definitely feels more stable but not quite there.

The pics right beside each other help me see it better. What do ya think of the shackle angles?
Before
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031891.jpg
After
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031903.jpg

Before
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031890.jpg
After
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031902.jpg

Before
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031889.jpg
After
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031900.jpg

YZEATER
08-10-2009, 10:54 PM
need to see it sitting on flat ground.

YZEATER
08-10-2009, 11:05 PM
imho , on my chevy setups, to get the most from leaf springs you need the shackle to look like this at ride height. long shackles help. this is also on the trailing edge of the springs, not the leading edge like on your front axle.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/YZEATER/TRUCK%20PARTS%202/DSC01288.jpg

not my shackles. just a reference pic.

Christopher
08-10-2009, 11:25 PM
-Chris, you should stop by if you need any ford parts for your truggy. We can have lunch.

I'll have to do that. I'll pm you I'm over your way alot my parents are on meridian rd

...was that a HIGH FLEX rear crossmember in the second to last picture?

mudforblood
08-11-2009, 06:08 AM
imho , on my chevy setups, to get the most from leaf springs you need the shackle to look like this at ride height. long shackles help. this is also on the trailing edge of the springs, not the leading edge like on your front axle.

not my shackles. just a reference pic.

I dont think I want the shackles that flat on this. I had the rear layed down like that and the spring would bottom out on the stationary mount of the shackle. Remember there's not as much arch on the springs compared to that pic. Also, tell that dude to grind his parts before he booger welds.:retard: That little modification makes me a little nervous and I'm not too picky.:042:

Only pic right now that you can see the springs sitting flat.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031896.jpg

mudforblood
08-11-2009, 06:14 AM
...was that a HIGH FLEX rear crossmember in the second to last picture?

Yeah, ya like that? Its bent back and welded to the hitch in the last picture. The hitch is just bolted in between the frame rails, still need to clean that up and weld it in better.

gonecheenin
08-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I dont think I want the shackles that flat on this. I had the rear layed down like that and the spring would bottom out on the stationary mount of the shackle. Remember there's not as much arch on the springs compared to that pic. Also, tell that dude to grind his parts before he booger welds.:retard: That little modification makes me a little nervous and I'm not too picky.:042:

Only pic right now that you can see the springs sitting flat.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031896.jpg

My shackles sit at about a 30 degree angle

My theory when I set them up was I took the length of the spring minus the length of the shackles, plus one inch & thats how far from the main eye I put my shackle mount.

:044: I knew you guys were gonna continue the axle wars. I'll address that later.

You know we can't help ourselves :040:

I'm just wondering where Dan58 is? LOL

-Cheenin can lend me his axle and joint combo to see if I can break em before I buy a set. LOL

Umm, I kinda need em :nod:
I'm sure you could break these bargin basement alloys if you tried. It took me 3 months of driving like I stole it to see what would let go before I finally snapped a 19 spline stub though!
Course, I'm sure could break a 60 too if I tried, so that sounds fairly even to me :029:

I can't wait to get my tuned shafts with Longfield joints & 30 spline stubs, then its back to seeing what breaks first! (Keeping the Yukons for good trail spares)

-I should wheel it next at the Outback thing the 22nd for another test run. Yinz should try to make it too.

My buds are going up for the Eua Claire one Sept 26th, I'm seriously considering trying to make that one.

-NO V8 in this rig. Maybe a tired old chevy V8 but not an axle snappin, frame twisting, jeep floppin ford powerhouse.

Riiiiiiiiiiight. You mean a Ford boat anchor to weigh the front end down? :flipoff2:

Though what would be sweet would be an old high revving, low bottom end torque 283 with aluminum heads, intake & headers. Slap on TBI injection & you'd have yourself a screamer & it should weigh less then that cast iron manifold 258 too boot.

mudforblood
08-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Can't figure out all of that fancy quoting.:042: Reply to cheenin below.

My shackles sit at about a 30 degree angle

My theory when I set them up was I took the length of the spring minus the length of the shackles, plus one inch & thats how far from the main eye I put my shackle mount.I checked mine and 30 degrees seems like a good base point to aim for. I read your theory real quick earlier and it went right over my head. LOL Gotcha now, that way its almost physically impossible for the leaf to bottom out on compression, which is good.

I can't wait to get my tuned shafts with Longfield joints & 30 spline stubs, then its back to seeing what breaks first! (Keeping the Yukons for good trail spares):029: :gear_oh2: Bling, bling! I'll be watching for that.

My buds are going up for the Eua Claire one Sept 26th, I'm seriously considering trying to make that one.
That would be sweet. I'll try to make that one too.

Riiiiiiiiiiight. You mean a Ford is awesome? :flipoff2:

mudforblood
08-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Did a bunch of little things this weekend. I'll list that stuff tomorrow maybe.

For now I got it as low as it can go with out major modification. Also things didnt go so well in the rear with the old mounts so I ripped them off. Should have just made a whole new bumper instead of wasting a lot of time with what was there, oh well.

I had ballistic joints sitting in the garage and I was curious so I went to town. The only thing I don't like so far is how bad the spring twists now. I'll keep an eye on it to see what happens.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031919.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031920.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031918.jpg
Not much lower but that's how it sits now.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031913.jpg

gonecheenin
08-16-2009, 11:02 PM
tit-eyes

That spring twist shouldn't hurt anything.

SirFuego
08-16-2009, 11:16 PM
That's purdy. I changed my mind about the paint. Rainbow is unecessary. Keep it as it is.

Christopher
08-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Found your place today. Did not see the Mutt though.
I was at my parents putting a radiator and thermostat in my aunt's blazer. Drove by during the test drive.

mudforblood
08-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys.

Found your place today. Did not see the Mutt though.
I was at my parents putting a radiator and thermostat in my aunt's blazer. Drove by during the test drive.

Hmm? It was in the driveway most of the weekend. I must have been in the woods behind my house test driving also. If the white chevy pickup is there then there's a 90% chance I'm there too. Maybe I'll catch ya next time your around.

96greenxjjeep
09-10-2009, 11:11 PM
how have the joints been holding in the rear ive been thinking of doing that on my tj when i do xj leaves

mudforblood
09-11-2009, 12:06 AM
The joints work pretty good so far. It's definitely a different concept with leaf springs. Instead of binding on bushings at the extreme ends of the flex cycle it kinda flows like a link setup minus the unloading feeling of coils. It travels smoother but stops right before that "oh shit" unloading point of coils when all of the weight is off of the spring. It's a weird feeling to try and explain but I like how it works.:042:

I'm actually thinking of doing the same on the front springs at some point. Too many ideas and toys and never enough time or money for the toys.

gonecheenin
09-11-2009, 04:52 AM
Too many ideas and toys and never enough time or money for the toys.

No doubt! :retard:

joe_and_jeep
09-24-2009, 08:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/joe_and_jeep/Johnshouse/100_3042.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/joe_and_jeep/wellsville/100_2662.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/joe_and_jeep/wellsville/100_2658.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/joe_and_jeep/wellsville/100_2656.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/joe_and_jeep/wellsville/100_2660.jpg

That YJ got a lot of wheelin' done.

mudforblood
09-25-2009, 05:45 AM
Thanks joe. It's cool to see old pics of the jeep.

I have not done much to it lately. I'm kinda getting a list of things to do this winter.

mudforblood
01-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Update! I had a weeks vacation to use so it was spent working on this jeep. I could have spent another two weeks doing things I wanted with the parts I have. It was productive though.

First was to get the front axle changed out. The HP 44 I put in this summer puked a ujoint again so I said screw it and threw in the 60 with OX locker I had in my truggy. I just had to change to 4.10 gears which Krod hooked me up with, thanks man! FWIW 4.10 gears clear everything with the OX locker unlike the previous 3.55 gears.

Then the steering needed addressed. I wanted to have as many options as possible so I ordered high steer arms from harsh terrain. ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dana-60-High-Steer-Arm-1-Inch-Double-Hummer_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef2012f6cQQitem Z270348136300QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories) & http://harshterrain.com/ These arms are offset to clear stock H1 rims and puts the tie rod behind the axle. The clearance is tight with the drag link so BTA helps a lot, it also keeps it way out of harms way and from a breif search helps with ackerman angle. Right now the exhaust would be in direct contact with the tie rod BTA so for now it's in the stock location until I do the 4.0l swap.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/SatJan02221215AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/2009-12-31071231.jpg

Even before the drag link was heading down hill to the pitman arm and it got worse with the 60. I ended up reaming a stock pitman arm from the top down and upt the TRE on top. It just clears the box and frame on the drivers side now. I had to notch the frame 2" on the passenger side and add tube above the notch to reinforce it. It all seems too work good, on to the engine.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/2009-12-31071150.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/SatJan02221020AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/SatJan02221036AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

mudforblood
01-06-2010, 10:36 PM
As some know the 258 in this thing has been knocking hard for awhile. I found a 258 for $50 so I threw that in temporarily until I get around to pulling the 4.0l out of a XJ I have.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/ThuDec31100334AmericaNew_York2009.jpg

It fired right up and was quite. Music to my ears!:)
That only lasted for a few hours this past sunday when I was wheelin. It started tapping, oil pressure dropped, started knocking, barely ran at all, chugged, popped and then stalled. I cranked it and it fired up, ran with ok oil pressure then I headed to the trailer as fast as I could.:gear_oh2: It only made it another 5 minutes and locked up solid.:gear_cry2: I guess the 4.0 swap will happen sooner than I expected.

There's no pics but I also bent some shock hoops and put 14" travel shocks on all four corners. It's at about 5" up and 7" down travel with clearance for a little more tire. Also got a heater installled and a few odds and ends fixed up.

I'm hoping to have this thing fine tuned for some abuse this year.:096:

Christopher
01-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Nice. At least you were running for a little bit
Had not heard from you in awhile. A new renfrew-ite posted up on here about a week or so ago.

DMG
01-07-2010, 12:32 AM
Put that old motor back in. We couldn't kill it.

mudforblood
01-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Nice. At least you were running for a little bit
Had not heard from you in awhile. A new renfrew-ite posted up on here about a week or so ago.
Yep, it was good to get it out for awhile. I've been laying low, gathering parts, and fighting ear infections and sinusitis for over a month.:087: I'll keep an eye out for the local.

Put that old motor back in. We couldn't kill it.
That's what I was thinking! It first started making noise and I said screw it, the old engine made worse noise for years. This one just wasn't up to it.

That heater you had laying in the jeep works good. Plumbed it up and jumped it to the battery, it kept it at least 35 degrees with no doors. It was a bit cold sunday.http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/SunJan03184533AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

DMG
01-07-2010, 11:16 AM
You should have taken the old soft doors that were sitting next to it. I still have them.

I will give you $50 or a case of beer for that old motor. I want to tear it down and figure out why it ran and why it sounded like 2 skeletons ****ing on a tin roof.

mxg342
01-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I will give you $50 or a case of beer for that old motor.

That's more than you are going to get out of any 258.

mudforblood
01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
You should have taken the old soft doors that were sitting next to it. I still have them.

I will give you $50 or a case of beer for that old motor. I want to tear it down and figure out why it ran and why it sounded like 2 skeletons ****ing on a tin roof.
The doors would be sweet. Are they round on the corners or pointed? Be nice if it fit my hardtop too. Any door is better than just half when its 5 degrees out.:042:
Don't worry, I want to see what was making the noise too. I'll tear it down and let you know.

That's more than you are going to get out of any 258.
You got that right! You should see some of the prices on craigslist, people are crazy.

gonecheenin
01-07-2010, 08:56 PM
It sucks she died on you Sunday

Right before I had to tow you out I was gonna try to round you & Don (4runner) up to make a deep snow whuppin run up the rock slide! :029::080:

BTW: I'm pretty impressed the old groovy Boggers didn't have any issue hooking up in the snow to drag you out - Them things worked great!

XJchris98
01-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Jeff, any plans for the 44 you took out? Im seriously considering starting to gather pieces/parts/etc to do a HP 44 in my XJ. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Thanks!

mudforblood
01-07-2010, 10:40 PM
It sucks she died on you Sunday

Right before I had to tow you out I was gonna try to round you & Don (4runner) up to make a deep snow whuppin run up the rock slide! :029::080:

BTW: I'm pretty impressed the old groovy Boggers didn't have any issue hooking up in the snow to drag you out - Them things worked great!
yeah, I was just getting warmed up when it puked. The engine knew what was coming and got mad and went home.:042:

Your tires were hooking up real good. That's on my to do list to try. I might try the chainsaw way or a router.

Jeff, any plans for the 44 you took out? Im seriously considering starting to gather pieces/parts/etc to do a HP 44 in my XJ. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Thanks!
PM sent.

2002wranglerX
01-08-2010, 11:18 AM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/paineszj/Meet%20and%20Greet%

2002wranglerX
01-08-2010, 11:18 AM
ok... that's not working...

gonecheenin
01-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Get that 4.0 in - we gots wheelin' to do :003:

mudforblood
01-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Keep posting in here and harass me until I get it done. :003: I need some more motivation just to go out in the cold and snow to maneuver vehicles around.

Next step is pull the engine and necessary wiring from a 92 XJ I have and get rid of all the extra wires. Then I hope a 4.0l flywheel bolts up with the pressure plate and clutch disc an the 258 now. I think its a mixed combination to adapt to the NP435 input splines.

comparison info from Novak (http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/knowledge_gateway.htm):
NP435 input-1 1/16", 10 spline, 6 1/2" stickout, 17mm pilot tip
AX15- 1 1/8", 10 spline, 7 1/2" stickout, 88-91 19/32"&92-99 3/4" pilot tip
T150- 1 1/16", 10 spline, 7 1/2" stickout, 17mm pilot tip
T176- 1 1/8", 10 spline, 7 1/2" stickout, 19/32 pilot tip

With that I assume it's an amc bellhousing bolted to the ford trans. but it doesn't really make sense. The pilot bushing maybe an adapter but I won't know until I check the bore in the crank on the 4.0l. At the worst I think I could have someone machine down the brass pilot bushing in the 258 now.

Then the CPS will need located and mounted on the bellhousing, shouldn't be too hard. I also hope to put all ZJ accessories on the front of the XJ engine in order to get a centered mechanical fan. I have extras of all that stuff to try.:gear_cool2:

Between all the parts I have I should get something hooked up to spin the tires.:036:

ridgerunner97
01-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Between all the parts I have I should get something hooked up to spin the tires.:036:

HAHAHAHAHA priceless right there

mxg342
01-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Keep posting in here and harass me until I get it done. :003: I need some more motivation just to go out in the cold and snow to maneuver vehicles around.

Next step is pull the engine and necessary wiring from a 92 XJ I have and get rid of all the extra wires. Then I hope a 4.0l flywheel bolts up with the pressure plate and clutch disc an the 258 now. I think its a mixed combination to adapt to the NP435 input splines.

comparison info from Novak (http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/knowledge_gateway.htm):
NP435 input-1 1/16", 10 spline, 6 1/2" stickout, 17mm pilot tip
AX15- 1 1/8", 10 spline, 7 1/2" stickout, 88-91 19/32"&92-99 3/4" pilot tip
T150- 1 1/16", 10 spline, 7 1/2" stickout, 17mm pilot tip
T176- 1 1/8", 10 spline, 7 1/2" stickout, 19/32 pilot tip

With that I assume it's an amc bellhousing bolted to the ford trans. but it doesn't really make sense. The pilot bushing maybe an adapter but I won't know until I check the bore in the crank on the 4.0l. At the worst I think I could have someone machine down the brass pilot bushing in the 258 now.

Then the CPS will need located and mounted on the bellhousing, shouldn't be too hard. I also hope to put all ZJ accessories on the front of the XJ engine in order to get a centered mechanical fan. I have extras of all that stuff to try.:gear_cool2:

I run an 11" luk clutch behind the 360. It was originally set up for a T176 (1-1/8" 10 spline input shaft). When I swapped in the T18, I had to get a different clutch disk for the smaller input (1-1/16 10 Spline). I just ordered a clutch disk from summit that was right for the pressure plate and flywheel of the 360. It worked perfectly and kept me from buying a whole new clutch kit. I also had to buy a conversion pilot bushing from Novak for the 360 crank. Instead of fitting into the typical counterbore of the crank, the od was big enough to fit into the rear most counterbore. That made up for the 1" difference in input shaft length. I used an AMC T176 bellhousing to mate to a ford T18.

mudforblood
01-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks, that helps. The pilot bushing in the 258 now is in the outer counterbore which makes sense now to take up the extra 1". I wish I could find crank bore diameters. I bet there's pilot bushings from other makes that would work.

Not that it really matters but I THINK this jeep was/is an 87 so that would mean it had a Peugeot BA 10/5 in it. It's just good to know when trying to order stuff from parts monkeys when they ask what yr, make and model and I try to tell them "it doesn't matter, pick one". :overkill:

mxg342
01-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Not that it really matters but I THINK this jeep was/is an 87 so that would mean it had a Peugeot BA 10/5 in it. It's just good to know when trying to order stuff from parts monkeys when they ask what yr, make and model and I try to tell them "it doesn't matter, pick one". :overkill:

I fawking despise this. I usually tell them it has the 3 cylinder diesel option.

gonecheenin
01-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I fawking despise this. I usually tell them it has the 3 cylinder diesel option.

If they really annoy me I usually throw in that its got a blue front seat & a orange bug shield :smirk:

Krod
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I hear the 1996 wrangler is a damn good vehicle to source parts from at the computer parts counter :flipoff2:

gonecheenin
01-13-2010, 07:53 PM
I hear the 1996 wrangler is a damn good vehicle to source parts from at the computer parts counter :flipoff2:

:overkill:

DMG
01-15-2010, 10:21 AM
I think the doors are pointy corner

mudforblood
01-24-2010, 11:47 PM
No updates. Just some pics since it was warm saturday.
Shock hoops and shocks.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/SatJan23182439AmericaNew_York2010.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/SatJan23182405AmericaNew_York2010.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/SatJan23194309AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Krod
01-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Looks good. I'm doing the front hoops on mine just like that! Nice to see how it all looks before I get the tube in. Assuming the hood clears the rad hoop?

jeepxj3
01-25-2010, 02:20 AM
I think the doors are pointy corner

They are

97V10MN
09-09-2013, 10:25 AM
So what happened to this thing?

gonecheenin
09-16-2013, 06:32 PM
I was wondering the same thing - about the rig AND the "driver"!

Krod
09-16-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm right up the road from him.....I should swing by and say hi some day.

I think the last time I saw him was when we were at rock run marking trails.

mudforblood
09-17-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm still alive. Jeep is dead though. It needs a replacement/used 258 or a different engine all together. I've just been looking around til something shows up. I'm not real motivated about it but if it ran that would help keep my attention.:roll: A new baby 4 months ago also slowed toy time down for a little.

Anyways... I found used 42's and did a little router work on them and put them on bead locks. They will fit without spacers once the steering crossover is behind the axle on the high steer arms. The stock exhaust under the oilpan is in the way right now.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/a072bf29.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/2011-01-22_17-22-55_984.jpg

gonecheenin
09-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Good to hear your still kickin & congrats on the nother little one.

Glad you still got plans kicking around in your head on the build, but that said if you ever decide to sell that thing you better let me know! My red one is slowly falling off it's frame & I gotta do something before the axles drive out from under what's left of the tub someday!

If you plan a day to work on it I could also make it a point to swing up & help ya wrench (assuming that day is free for me of course)

justin'sbig7
09-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Glad to hear all is well Jeff! Congrats on the kiddo!