PDA

View Full Version : What TIG welder?

trailerrails
06-28-2009, 08:40 AM
I want AC/DC Tig capabilities. I am not worried about welding stick.
I have narrowed it down between two welders, the Miller Econo TIg and the Diversion 165. I like the Diversion because it is light (50lbs), where as the econo tig is 150lbs. I found a new Econotig for $1170. I also found a new Diversion for $1250 but I have to buy a pedal for another $150. So that makes it $1400. Does anyone here have any experience between the two? Or any opinions?

96greenxjjeep
06-28-2009, 11:26 AM
i have used the Miller at school and its an exceptional welder but i have also used this http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=50178
IMO it was easier to set up and just ease of use was much nicer i used it for 12 weeks and i loved it but this is just my opinion

trailerrails
06-28-2009, 05:09 PM
i have used the Miller at school and its an exceptional welder but i have also used this http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=50178
IMO it was easier to set up and just ease of use was much nicer i used it for 12 weeks and i loved it but this is just my opinion

That is the welder I want but I am not sure I can justify $2200 for a home use welder. Is it really going to be $800 better?

96greenxjjeep
06-28-2009, 05:37 PM
most likely not

village_idiot
06-28-2009, 05:43 PM
My neighbor had an older miller tig, not sure what model, he loved it. He sold his lincoln mig and is using only his tig now he likes it so much.

justin'sbig7
06-29-2009, 08:04 PM
i used a miller tig when i was in welding school. i liked it a lot and miller makes good equipment. i used a few other tigs as well, but the miller is the one i personally liked the best

trailerrails
06-29-2009, 08:12 PM
I picked up the Miller Dirvsion 165 today. It is killing me because I need to put another breaker in the panel and hook up an outlet to get it going. I can't wait to lay some beads with it.

13below0
06-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Well lets see some pics! I wish I would have seen this, but I'm a slack ass and havent been online in weeks. If your goning to do any kind of alum. which it sounds like your going to. Personally I would take it back and buy a bigger unit. Or look around and find a used one.

trailerrails
06-30-2009, 12:59 PM
I had been looking for a used welder but could not find anything that was reasonable in price and weight. I don't have much room in the garage for a unit the size of a fridge.

I just came upstairs to shut the computer down cuz I have to turn the power off to hook up the new breaker. Give me couple hours and i should be laying beads.

trailerrails
07-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Tig welding is fun. I have been practicing and trying to get my hand back. It has been a little while since I have done this and I have never used a hand throttle. I got some decent beads on mild steel and aluminum. I am having trouble with copper. I need to get some thicker stuff to practice on. i have not done any stainless yet, I think I have some scraps at moms house I could grab and practice on.
I am going to pick up some steel and make a nice welding table. Then the next project is a railing for the stairs in the house.