PDA

View Full Version : The WJ is finally getting a boost...

Cebby
12-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Budget boost that is. Mainly for mall crawling since I have a lightly built Toyota already.

Pro Trucks in Murrysville is doing the honors. Also going with 265/70R16 BFG AT's. I went through 2 sets of these in 32's on the Toy to the tune of about 90K miles. I know alot hate them, but I've had decent luck with them.

I'm sticking with stock shocks for a little while. Considering Edelbrock IAS - any feedback on these?

So, will the WJ be a dog with 3.55's and 31's? Will mainly be a pavement pounder.

Bill
12-02-2004, 08:48 PM
STOP!

Do the BB yourself. Dave and I did one on Heidi's WJ in about 1 1/2 hours. It was the easiest lift I have ever installed!

The gear ratio is fine, you will not notice at all.

If you do decide to do-it-yourself, let me know... I would be more than happy to help out. You put the money into other mods... :P

Cebby
12-02-2004, 09:17 PM
I wanted to do this myself, but I procrastinated myself into a corner wiith my inspection (past due now), needing new tires to pass, etc. I was trying to dump the JGC for something else, but I'm upsidedown in a bad way on this thing - exploring this took too much time also.

So, with the overheating (in the shop last Monday - going back next Monday, they didn't fix it :roll: ), overdue maintenance I had to do, new windshield, family here for 6 days over Thanksgiving.....you get the picture.

Gotta throw Rege a bone here.

Anyway, I've designed and am working up prototype bumpers/sliders for my Toyota, so why not keep the JGC and develop something for it also? :wink:

Bill
12-02-2004, 09:37 PM
What are they charging you for the BB and the install, if you don't mind me asking?

If you do mid, just tell me to STFU! :roll: :lol: 8)

Cebby
12-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Not sure. I only got a total of $1200 for the (4) tires, m&b, the BB and Install.

joe_and_jeep
12-02-2004, 11:34 PM
4 BF's and Mount and Balance = $600 tops
Wheres the other $600 going?

OverkillZJ
12-02-2004, 11:37 PM
STOP!

.......................... I wouldn't trust my remote control car to Pro Trucks.

They're done some of the poorest work I've ever seen on several vehicles, mine included.

I think you're already commited now, but future reference.... DO IT YOURSELF.

Time and no place to work are no excuse, we've lifted Jeeps in a few hours in the middle of public streets (literaly.)

It is the ONLY way you will be happy with it, and know that it is done properly.

If you have a V8, gearing is fine. 4.0, you might notice a little lag, but not much. Not unless you really get on it.

OverkillZJ
12-02-2004, 11:38 PM

I bet they're not even installing extended shocks, and forget to put in the bump stops the kit should come with. And I bet they don't torque anything to spec.

Cebby
12-03-2004, 08:07 AM

You haven't priced 265/70R16's lately have you. Tirerack is $180 each landed not including mounting and balance. I could get them here from Sam's for a few $ less (cheapest I've found), but they will only install the OE size tires. I had to have the wheels for my Toyota's 33's off the vehicle and brought in separately.

Pro Trucks has done other work for me and it was fine, but it wasn't suspension work (tires and exhaust).

I was planning on being there and documenting the procedure, so I'll make sure the work is done properly. Is there an existing writeup out there I can read up on? So far I'll make sure on the extended bumpstops and bolts torqued to spec. What else?

I'm getting longer shocks later and installing those myself.

Bill
12-04-2004, 12:41 AM
FYI - We just did a BB, 4 new BFG AT KOs (285/75/16s+ mount and balance+road hazzard), an alignment, and the BB all for under $840.

Cebby
12-04-2004, 08:26 AM
FYI - We just did a BB, 4 new BFG AT KOs (285/75/16s+ mount and balance+road hazzard), an alignment, and the BB all for under $840.

Where did you get the tires? How did you get these to fit on a WJ with just a BB? Trimming? :smt017

OK - $840 + 2 guys x 2 hours of labor make about $1100 by my calc.

Is there a good writeup somewhere on doing a BB?

OverkillZJ
12-04-2004, 09:59 AM

Where did you get the tires? How did you get these to fit on a WJ with just a BB? Trimming? :smt017

OK - $840 + 2 guys x 2 hours of labor make about $1100 by my calc.

Is there a good writeup somewhere on doing a BB?

Here's one:

Remove tires, remove springs, put in spacers, install springs, install tires.

Really, it's the easiest thing you can do (you'll needspring compressors though) - you're welcome to use mine. Anything to keep people away from pro trucks! :smt111:

gearhead313
12-04-2004, 10:16 AM
If you get the body as high up as you can....letting the axles hang, disconnect the shocks and that should let the axle drop enough to slide the spring out. Once you get the boost up then the spring up, if it wont go in, go to autozone to rent death, install death on the springs, compress the tool of death on the springs and it will go in.

Bill
12-04-2004, 10:33 AM
If you get the body as high up as you can....letting the axles hang, disconnect the shocks and that should let the axle drop enough to slide the spring out. Once you get the boost up then the spring up, if it wont go in, go to autozone to rent death, install death on the springs, compress the tool of death on the springs and it will go in.

I like how you phrased that...

It was VERY easy. Pretty much what Matt said above, I even borrowed his sping compressors to do it. The labor ran me the cost of dinner for me and Dave.

Besides, if you do it yourself you will have a much better understanding of how everything under there works, and how to fix it when you break it on the trail later.

Like I said earlier, let me know if you need a hand with the install. I even know a few CHEAP places for the BB itself.

gearhead313
12-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Like my shop? :thumbsup:

Cebby
12-04-2004, 11:29 AM
OK - I'm committed on buying the stuff from Rege (gave him a deposit - he ordered the parts and had them shipped in), but I'm going to call him and go pick up the parts today.

OK, where and when can we do this since all I have is mud to work in (or blocking the alley behind my garage (that is full of junk) I have it at Mick's on Monday for my cooling issues.

This has to go on so I can get it inspected (new tires for this reason). Inspection was up 11/04.

OverkillZJ
12-04-2004, 02:42 PM
My garage is usually open for wrenching, you can do it there if Bill or Brandon or any of my usual "wrenchers" can be there to help you :)

I'm in finals week (2 weeks really) so I'm off limits for help until the 20th or so :)

Actually if you wanted to do it Wed I could probably "oversee" but normal people work Wed. You could get it done before the meet and greet though ;)

Rule is clean it up better than you found it and bring me beer ;)

Speaking of which... BRANDON! YOU OWE ME A NEW 153X UJOINT!

Really though, let me know if your interested on Wendsday, I'll be working on my rig then.

Cebby
12-04-2004, 03:05 PM
WOW!! That's awesome! I will make myself available when anyone can help/guide me through it! I really appreciate it!!

So I picked everything up (tires and spacers). Turns out the spacers are just that - spacers only - no hardware or bumpstop extensions. Is this a problem?

I was thinking about the Edebrock shocks - anyone have an opinion on these?

Cebby
12-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Here's the victim:
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-04/1102190913_Loot_001.jpg
Stock 2000 JGC Laredo with 245/75R16's

The new skins:
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-04/1102191109_Loot_002.jpg
BFG AT 265/70R16's

The BB:
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-04/1102191208_Loot_003.jpg
Skyjacker spacers. They measure 1 5/8" inside dim on the rears (2" outside) and 2 1/8" on the fronts.

OverkillZJ
12-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Hmmm, no bumpstops....

We never installed them on my dads and it hasn't been a problem for the 3 years he's had it, if it was a problem, not hard to add later!

I think Bill (o||||||o) said he'd be able to help you, gonna call him to see if he can hook up with you... As long as you guys clean up the garage! LOL

Odds are I'll be around when you guys do it, just studying or working...

EDIT: Everyone I've talked to is happy with the Edelbrock shocks. Atleaset at lower lifts, they don't make any (that I know of) for bigger applications.

Excited yet? Tires look good!

Cebby
12-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Bill PM'd me earlier, so I "think" he's in. I'm going to try to get the shocks in quick also.

Do you know of somewhere I can get the tires m&b? My usual place said their machine isn't good with bigger rubber...

LordAthens
12-04-2004, 06:11 PM
I'll be at Matt's sometime after 4pm to help out. I'm swapping the front bumper on my TJ, but that's a ~15 minute job. I suppose I'll bring a change of clothes to help out.

As for the tires, my uncle is the shop manager at Marosz Gulf on Rt19 (~5 minutes from Matt's house). I've done my 31's on their machine with no problems and I know of 33's that have been mounted and balanced as well. It really comes down to the rim though. My Canyons (alloys) and the rims on moms Pathfinder (also alloys) don't seat well on the support cones and it sometimes take a number of spins to get them balanced up. More of a PITA for whoever is doing it basically. But they do good work and get them balanced well. Back when I had the steel wheels, they were CAKE.

That, or there is a Goodyear dealer again not to far from Matt. From what i've heard, they are expensive, but do exellent stuffs. Then again, it can't be THAT much to mount and balance a set of tires...

Cebby
12-04-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm defnitely excited to get this going! Besides the BB, what should I bring toolwise? How late does the Gulf station stay open? I'd love to get everything taken care of when I'm down there Wednesday!

I'd like to shoot a few pics along the way as long as it doesn't slow us up .... :D

Bill
12-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Well... Here is the situation at hand.

Wednesday is bad for me. I will not get home from work until about 4:00pm (If all goes well, I can get jammed up and have to stay at work on a moments notice.) By the time I get to Matt's house and we tear into the WJ it could very well be 5:00PM and very dark.

I am scheduled to go wheelin' in Ligoneer on Satuday with some of the Xterra guys, but considering you are having some inspection issues and need this done ASAP I am willing to cancel those plans and do the install Saturday morning. I think we will be able to get a lot more done in the daylight than under the cover of darkness. If we happen to run into any problems, doing the install on Saturday will also allow us to handle those a little better.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst... I just think Saturday is a much better option.

Just my thoughts.

Cebby
12-05-2004, 10:34 AM
I don't want to make anyone miss an outing on my account. If I can get enough of my garage cleared to at least get 1/2 of the WJ in, I'll take a stab at it during the week. I've been reading up - it really doesn't seem too tough.

I think the backup plan for Saturday is a good one, but let's call Saturday the last resort. We'll know by Wed/Thurs if Saturday is needed.

Bill
12-05-2004, 12:28 PM
I don't want to make anyone miss an outing on my account. If I can get enough of my garage cleared to at least get 1/2 of the WJ in, I'll take a stab at it during the week. I've been reading up - it really doesn't seem too tough.

I think the backup plan for Saturday is a good one, but let's call Saturday the last resort. We'll know by Wed/Thurs if Saturday is needed.

Sounds like a plan...

JeepGeneral
12-05-2004, 06:15 PM
AH the dreaded finals week! If it wasn't that time of the year, we could take it up to our shop and throw it on a rack, 2 guys on the front axle and 2 on the rear = 1 hr at most. We could even mount and balance the tires there, for free! If you are willing to wait until Friday or Saturday (17th-18th) I can offer my assistance. It is amazing how much simpler/cleaner/quicker it is to work on a Jeep when it is up in the air.

Tom

Cebby
12-05-2004, 09:23 PM
If I can get inspected without the new meats on, I'll try that route and wait. I'm not sure it will pass though.

My neighbor owns Allegheny Tire in Verona and I'm thinking of asking if I can go in and use a lift (don't know him too well though - but he does have a JGC :D )

One of the writeups I read had you doing each corner at a time - not even fronts then rears. This seems like something doable in my limited space.

http://www.kevinsjeepparts.com/sharedinstalls/installbbzjxj.html

I really appreciate all the offers for help! Sure know how to make folks feel welcome! :prayer:

OverkillZJ
12-05-2004, 09:36 PM
It's doable in a gravel parking lot, on a jeep trail, in a creek bed, on the moon, etc!

But on a lift? Ya, easier

JeepGeneral
12-06-2004, 02:15 PM
Let me know if you want to wait, some inspection stations (us for example) will inspect it with bad tires, but instead of giving you the stickers, they'll give you a write-up saying why you failed and that you're in the process of getting new shoes. Then, afterwards return for the stickers. However, they may not (atleast we wouldn't) honor it when suspension work is done in between. Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I'm located in Greensburg, and I can always drag Ralphdogg and Bbaker down to the garage to do a little work.

Tom

gearhead313
12-06-2004, 02:19 PM
damn.... if i had a license, we could do the lift at my shop, then i could inspect it....b/c i do that.

Cebby
12-12-2004, 04:18 AM
The BB is on, but I messed part of it up. I put the front spacers right against the springs instead of removing the stock isolators and slipping the spacers between the body and the isolators. Now that I know what the heck I'm doing, pulling the front apart again will be a cake walk. I'm switching them early tomorrow morning. I'll get the tires mounted Monday.

Tomorrow, the replacement tweets, RB1 and changer go in. :wink:

LordAthens
12-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Exellent Cebby!

See, told you it wasn't difficult.

Cebby
12-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Well, got the front switched back around. I can now do these in my sleep. I bought some spring compressors since I need them for some upcoming stuff on my 4Runner too. Can never have too many tools.

Odd thing I noticed on the rear (of course after everything is done...) The couple of writeups I found on the web show the rear spacer in between the top spring mount and isolator. When I was throwing out the Skyjacker box, I found their instructions :roll:. Their instructions say to put the spacer between the axle and lower spring isolator?

My question is - does it matter on the rear spacer if it is on the top or the bottom of the spring? I'd really rahter not rip into this thing again. I drove it and it drives fine - actually I like it better than stock.

JeepGeneral
12-12-2004, 08:32 PM
I've never worked with WJ suspension, but I would assume it is the same as TJs. I have always installed them in this order from the top:
1. stock spring isolator
2. lift spacer
3. spring

Now all we need is some pics!

Cebby
12-12-2004, 08:45 PM
My wife is out in it now, so no good pics until tomorrow. I may attempt to throw the Catback on tonight if the Mrs. ever gets back...

Cebby
12-13-2004, 09:29 PM
OK, here's the GC with the spacers and the tires I bought it with (245/75R16 - but they seemed to run small)
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-13/1102965262_After_Pics_001.jpg

Here's a shot of the front spacer:
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-13/1102987291_After_Pics_002.jpg

So it is getting inspected today. I need a new draglink end, so they won't pass it without putting one on. I wondered why all the wandering all over the road... Parts arrive tomorrow, so I get it back tomorrow afternoon sometime. They're going to throw my Borla catback on too. :D

Cebby
12-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Here's stock for comparo (245/75R16):
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-04/1102190913_Loot_001.jpg

Here's with the 265/70R16's mounted up.
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-13/1102987351_After_Pics_004.jpg

OverkillZJ
12-13-2004, 09:36 PM
Lookin' good

Cebby
12-15-2004, 05:16 AM
Got the IAS's on tonight. Also got the RB1 in.

The Borla sounds nice, but it has a tip that is dangerously close in appearance to the 'ol coffee can exhaust on the import crowd.

Cebby
12-16-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm done with mods on this thing for the foreseeable future. Here's a couple last shots:

Bling bling Borla
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-16/1103202698_Misc_Mods_001.jpg

IAS
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-15/1103175652_Misc_Mods_002.jpg

RB1
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-15/1103176142_Misc_Mods_003.jpg

Changer and Power Outlet
http://pics.montypics.com/cebulak/2004-12-16/1103201415_Misc_Mods_005.jpg

OK, now back to the 4Runner.... :D

Cebby
12-19-2004, 09:22 PM
All inspected and legal now :D

I had a nice clunk going on from the rear shocks - common problem, I've discovered - found a fix on JU. If anyhone has these issues, there is a place in Glenshaw/Allison Park with has the the right hardened bolts (M12 x 70mm x 1.75 tp) - Filbert Sales - Metric Screw and Fastener.

Here's what I found for the IAS shocks:

IAS Shocks:
Top Eye ID = .4750"
Bottom Eye ID = .500"

Bolts:
OEM Top = .4670"
OEM Bottom = .4670" necks down to .4245"

New Bolts:
M12x70mm diameter = .4645"

The lower eye is where the problem lies on the IAS shocks. Alot of slop between the insert in the eye and the stock bolt diameter.

Here's what I did and it seems to have eliminated the problem for now...

Using the new bolts with an M12 washer, fit the shock eyes into the bracket with the fender washers (1.25OD, .5ID x .08" th) to make it tight.

Put a total of 3 in the top eye (two inboard, 1 outboard) and 1 in the bottom eye (inboard). I had to use a rubber mallet to beat the shocks in and a screwdirver throught the bolt holes to align everything. I put a liberal amount of synth grease on the unthreaded portion of the top bolt.

I followed the same method for the bottom, except, I put a wrap of duct tape around the shaft of the bolt to make a snug fit. Same deal as above with the grease.

The test drive resulted in a nice quiet ride, but I think I am now hearing the hatch rattling. Not too bad, but I know its there...

Cebby
02-23-2005, 01:22 AM
BTT...

Seems I'll be eating my words... (ie no more work on this rig...)

On the way...

Brake Caliper upgrade (2002+)
Sirius Satellite Unit with Artist cable
2004 Lower Dash Panel (cubby insead of ashtray)
Cobra WX 75

And upon availability, a set of (4) Stillen cross-drilled rotors and pads from Kolak.

OverkillZJ
02-23-2005, 01:25 AM
And upon availability, a set of (4) Stillen cross-drilled rotors and pads from Kolak.

Should've told Nick I sent you, with what I gave him for parts on the ZJ rebuild he owes my friends discounts ;)

Cebby
02-24-2005, 08:03 AM

Should've told Nick I sent you, with what I gave him for parts on the ZJ rebuild he owes my friends discounts ;)

I talked to him on the phone for about 20 minutes the other night trying to figure out something for the Toy. I still haven't actually ordered due to backordered stuff, so I'll ask for the "Matt discount"... :wink:

I picked up a grille from a 2004 that I'm gong to put on mine. I'm trying to figure out what colors to paint it. Currently, the center part is like an antracite and the outer is metallic black/dark charcoal metallic.

There are really only two options. The outer gets painted the color of my JGC (Taupe Frost Metallic) and the inner either gets painted silver, or to match the Driftwood cladding (color and gloss level). Opinions?

Here's a few pics of it sitting in front of the chrome Laredo grille:

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/Black%20Grille%20001%20(Medium).jpg

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/Black%20Grille%20002%20(Medium).jpg

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/Black%20Grille%20003%20(Medium).jpg

OverkillZJ
02-24-2005, 11:40 AM
LOL, I doubt he'd give you a discount, but it'd be funny to ask :)

Cebby
03-25-2005, 01:39 AM
The rotors finally arrived today.

Tomorrow, my guys are installling the cross drilled Stillen rotors, metal matrix pads, and upgraded front calipers.

I also ended up picking up the front and rear tow hook kits also. (for when I break the D35C on the trail. :smt083: :lol: )

Now alll I need is some nice weather... :roll:

Bill
03-25-2005, 03:06 PM
We should get some nice weather here soon enough. I want to do a few things on my Jeep in the next two weeks or so just to get it where I want it before the next trail run.

Oh, and it needs washed too :wink:

Cebby
03-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Blingin' Stillen Rotors:

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/Stillens%20002%20(Medium).jpg

Mombo Caliper Upgrade - those things are HUGE compared to the original OEM units

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/Stillens%20003%20(Medium).jpg

These seem to be better stopping with a better pedal feel. I haven't been anywhere where I've been able to do some high speed stops yet. We'll see how the fade resistance is. :wink:

Cebby
04-09-2005, 12:30 AM
Did some more stuff to the WJ...

Obligatory Pics:

Excuse the filth :) . Pic of the RB1 and new lower dash piece. The lower dash piece was modified to accept two full time power outlets (came with 1 switched, 1 full time) with matching covers, and the install of the Cobra CB.
http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/New%20Mods%20002%20(Medium).jpg

Here's a better pic of the lower dash:
http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/New%20Mods%20004%20(Medium).jpg

Satellite radio antenna - nice and unobtrusive...
http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/New%20Mods%20009%20(Medium).jpg

Newly added tow hooks (factory Jeep parts):

2 up front :
http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/New%20Mods%20008%20(Medium).jpg

1 out back:
http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/New%20Mods%20011%20(Medium).jpg

Cebby
04-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Here's a few screen shots...

Signed up for Sirius today...

AM/FM
http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/RB1%20Screen%20006%20(Medium).jpg

10 Disc Changer
http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/RB1%20Screen%20005%20(Medium).jpg

Satellite Radio (bought the extra cable for song info :D )
http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/RB1%20Screen%20007%20(Medium).jpg

NAV
http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/RB1%20Screen%20004%20(Medium).jpg

TimMichaels
04-09-2005, 11:27 PM
DVE represent

OverkillZJ
04-09-2005, 11:43 PM
I love my Sirius. Dropping XM like a rock.

Cebby
06-12-2005, 10:38 PM
I picked up a Wilson 1000 on eBay recently. I had gotten the trunk mount base thinking I could mount it to the tailgate, but no dice. Wouldn't work.

SOOOOO, I contaced the seller. Turns out he had a "like new" magnetic base so I got that. I still need to power up the CB and run the cable. Just in time for a road trip this weekend. :D

I put it in front of my satellite antenna. We'll see how everything works with it.

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/Wilson%201000%20001%20(Medium).jpg

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/Wilson%201000%20003%20(Medium).jpg

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/Wilson%201000%20002%20(Medium).jpg

I may end up getting a gumdrop/permanent mount if this location pans out.

BTW, my wife hates it. :twisted:

Cebby
06-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I know it's not tech, but here's a couple of shots at OBX up past Corolla where you can drive on the beach. The wild horses were also out in force (we saw about 20 or so in total)

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/OBX/Day%203-4%20062%20(Medium).jpg

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/OBX/Day%203-4%20065%20(Medium).jpg

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/OBX/Day%203-4%20067%20(Medium).jpg

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/00%20Jeep%20Grand%20Cherokee/OBX/Day%203-4%20071%20(Medium).jpg

OK, a little tech... Te BFG AT's worked geat in the sand. I didn't even air down at all. I did expereince some hotter than normal temps, but attributed this to slogging through the hot sand at slow speed and heating up the trans/t-case.