PDA

View Full Version : Boat motor repair

Peccavi18
07-12-2009, 11:22 AM
The motor that came with my boat last year has a broken ring that has scored up the cylinder. I can run it as is, but only wide open, if not it fouls up the plugs quickly. I don't know if I would need it bored and sleeved or re-honed or what. I personally haven't even looked in the motor only what the previous owner told me. Wondering if there are any good fairly cheap shops down here to look at it. BTW it's a Suzuki DT40, can't remember what year though.

DMG
07-12-2009, 02:43 PM
How bad is the scoring? Could you hone it out or would it have to be bored? Is it sleeved? Have you checked parts availability?

Unless you have a spare parts motor, many of the older outboards are not worth repairing or you may not be able to find parts. Join an outboard forum.

Peccavi18
07-12-2009, 03:28 PM
The motor wasn't made till 80, I am thinking it's around an 85-87 but I don't have the books or serial number down here with me. I am on iboats.com and read on a few other forums as well, all seem to say that this motor is a good solid motor, newer ones list for around 4k used 87's are still selling over 1k . I have found quite a few online suzuki parts stores and most parts on this motor are interchangable up to 98. I just haven't found any local stores yet. If I could get this up and running I would love to ditch my 1965 Johnson Seahorse short shaft. I cannot figure out the electrial on that bitch at all.

I personally haven't done more than swap it off the boat yet. With the cover off it looks to be in awesome shape no oil leaks or spills, no pitting, dust, anything. It came with a pile of spare parts alot of which I still have no clue what them are and a manual. The previous owner is a good friend of my uncles (who has been on the water with this motor) He was planning to get it bored and sleeved he said but neither of us thinks he had it looked at or took it apart himself. So I am not sure not really wanting to tear into it on my own, I have enough other projects right now and don't want to toast it.