PDA

View Full Version : Frame welding issues

leif2480
07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi guys, this is my first post in here. i just recently bought a 94 YJ from a guy, and he just happened to forget to mention that it needs a bunch of work done on it, like it needs U-joints in the front axle, new leaf springs all around, because the right side ones are both broke, a ton of body work, and now further inspection shows that i need to get the frame patched where the rear axle stops are on frame, it has been weakened there slightly.

i am from Ford city pa, does anyone know where i can find someone to weld a patch on my frame.

I bought this jeep as a toy to mess around with on the trails on my property, and maybe drive it around town a bit.

i just want the jeep to be safe, i don't care if patching is considered "illegal" but like i said, i would rather have it be sturdy.

Thanks alot for the help!!

mxg342
07-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Talk to Justinsbig7 on the board, He'll fix you up and he's right up the road from you.

leif2480
07-21-2009, 09:55 AM
thank you, i sent him a PM

Wrecker
07-21-2009, 12:00 PM
I call him and tell him I want my money back. Not disclosing frame issues is not cool. When was it last inspected. You should always have someone who know look at a ride before buying it though.

leif2480
07-21-2009, 02:00 PM
yeah i know thats what i tried. but since it was a private sell. i have nothing even to scare him with. he has the rear section where the leaf springs hook up at replaced, since it was rotted. so with that i figured that was the only bad spot. i got screwed. so now i'm just trying to salvage what i have. i just want something to play around with on my farm and maybe around town. so i figure if i patch it. it should hold me until i decide to dump it. it was last inspected in 8/08 i think..... he said it was cuz he has been running it... again apparently lies. but oh well. if i can manage to get it fixed pretty easily by gettting someone to patch it i'll live. i bought new leaf springs from a guy for 80 for all 4. and now i'm looking to get my ujoints replaced.

i appreciate your sympathy though!

justin'sbig7
07-22-2009, 06:32 PM
sent ya a pm yesterday.

koenig
07-22-2009, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the frame patch. If it is done right you shouldn't have any issues. I have done quite a few of them. Mostly jeeps but a couple older isuzu's with the frame rot problem. All of the trucks are wheeled and have held up extremely well so far. If the job looks professional most garages will pass it.

leif2480
07-23-2009, 07:15 AM
from what i can see looking around even more indepth, the only place that seems weak is where the bump stops were once. so it may be the only place that may need to be patched!!