PDA

View Full Version : Cash for Clunkers = Death of the XJ

JeepGeneral
07-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Details for the Cash for Clunkers program were released this morning and dealers can start submitting the Clunkers on Monday. We already have two deals written with XJs as turn-ins and had a bunch of XJ owners here throughout the day.

All of you XJ owners should see some good parts showing up in the scrap yards real soon!

avenged7foldhc
07-23-2009, 07:00 PM
All of you XJ owners should see some good parts showing up in the scrap yards real soon!

isnt one of the requirements of the program that the vehicle is crushed with no possibility of getting parts off of it? there was a thread something like that a while back.

limegreentj
07-23-2009, 07:13 PM
yeah thats what i thought? or maybe they just take the engines and crush them...dunno. i doubt anyones gonna take the time to take the engines out and then crush only them.

VX1032
07-23-2009, 07:15 PM
bodys can be sold to junkyards, but engines must be never resold and scrapped for all eterntiy.

OverkillZJ
07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Waste. Go liberals.

limegreentj
07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
/\ troof

pittim
07-23-2009, 09:16 PM
isnt one of the requirements of the program that the vehicle is crushed with no possibility of getting parts off of it? there was a thread something like that a while back.
it could be like the tacoma buy back toyota is/was doing.

as long as it gets there on it's own power they'll give you full price for it.

people were taking off doors, hoods, fenders, basically anything that they could sell. toyota didnt care.

joshs1ofakindxj
07-23-2009, 09:18 PM
I picked up a 95 XJ today for $250 and drove it back to my place. The XJ market in my area hasn't been hit yet.

OverkillZJ
07-23-2009, 09:23 PM
it could be like the tacoma buy back toyota is/was doing.

as long as it gets there on it's own power they'll give you full price for it.

people were taking off doors, hoods, fenders, basically anything that they could sell. toyota didnt care.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you're saying now. I'd like to see someone try, haha.

These XJ's will be sent to the crusher, and to my understanding until someone finds a statement otherwise: CANNOT BE USED FOR PARTS, at least not the engine. It's fuzzy. But I'm pretty sure you won't drive it there without the engine under its own power.

limegreentj
07-23-2009, 09:24 PM
pics of said xj!!!!

JeepGeneral
07-23-2009, 10:21 PM
We must drain the engine oil and fill it with "liquid glass" to guarantee the motor is junk. We then sell the vehicles to an approved salvage lot who can salvage the rest of the parts. The rest of the driveline/body is fair game.

wozz
07-23-2009, 10:31 PM
We must drain the engine oil and fill it with "liquid glass" to guarantee the motor is junk.

Are you talking about the stuff that walmart sells for cracked head's? I've used it before and was really amazed that it worked.

DMG
07-23-2009, 10:32 PM
I would like to personally thank the simpletons who voted for Obama for this.

OverkillZJ
07-23-2009, 10:37 PM
We must drain the engine oil and fill it with "liquid glass" to guarantee the motor is junk. We then sell the vehicles to an approved salvage lot who can salvage the rest of the parts. The rest of the driveline/body is fair game.

That's better than I thought, but still lame wasting the motors, typical greenie idea, and just another way to spend more tax money.

jeep-freak92
07-23-2009, 11:18 PM
i dont like the sounds of this law at all

oros35
07-23-2009, 11:40 PM
So your saying I need to become an "approved" salvage yard and start a customizing business by swapping small blocks or what ever other engine I can shoehorn into it.....

What does it take to become an approved salvage yard?

limegreentj
07-23-2009, 11:59 PM
no because there probably wont be any small blocks left either, if they are junkin 4.0s because of their mileage...they definitely will junk small blocks and shit

OverkillZJ
07-24-2009, 12:13 AM
They're only destroying the motors. Take the motors from something else, was his idea.

village_idiot
07-24-2009, 12:19 AM
i think i see a way around this. if you pull and "miss place" the vin tags, said vehicle isnt in the system anymore. then you can pull all the motors you want without worry, the vehicle "doesn't exist" the the motor "doesn't exist". then all you need is an inside man, and you have your parts.

OverkillZJ
07-24-2009, 12:34 AM
What the hell are you talking about? Do you have any idea what the discussion here actually is!?

How does pulling the vin tags help anything..?

limegreentj
07-24-2009, 01:38 AM
yeah...it wont....the owner of the jeep turns it in to the yard under the program and gets their money, then the yard destroys the engine....theres no way around it...except dont turn it in under the program

.J u s t i n
07-24-2009, 02:14 AM

Dave dont get me started, down here in MD its still Obama-mania! I swear that Obama bumper stickers down here were state mandated because every single car I see on the road has one, some even have 4 or more!

If I wasnt worried about my vehicle getting vandalized because of it, I'd be proudly rocking one of these

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/DC2Kid97/anti_obama_bumper_sticker_oh_shit-p.jpg

.J u s t i n
07-24-2009, 02:15 AM
Oh on another note, you guys will get a kick out of this for how demographically charged it is, but I stopped into KFC to get some lunch the other day and I noticed behind the counter, hanging on the wall, they have one of those framed Obama motivational posters that says HOPE and then some other bullshit below it.

DMG
07-24-2009, 06:41 AM
i think i see a way around this. if you pull and "miss place" the vin tags, said vehicle isnt in the system anymore. then you can pull all the motors you want without worry, the vehicle "doesn't exist" the the motor "doesn't exist". then all you need is an inside man, and you have your parts.

Without the VIN tags, you don't get the "cash" part of Cash for Clunkers.

brent66
07-24-2009, 06:47 AM
can somone get me a link on somthing about this....i freaken hate being in iraq i have no idea whats going on haha

joshs1ofakindxj
07-24-2009, 08:35 AM
pics of said xj!!!!

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs021.snc1/4247_197164280342_755350342_6892797_4741050_n.jpg

95 XJ - $250
New battery and serpentine belt
4.0L running strong with 197k
5 speed and N231
D30 and 8.25
No AC (factory)
trailer hitch
no floors
and most importantly the door handles work great
plans - remove drivetrain and door handles, use the rest for target practice for my birthday party

skeebs
07-24-2009, 08:41 AM
95 XJ - $250
New battery and serpentine belt
4.0L running strong with 197k
5 speed and N231
D30 and 8.25
No AC (factory)
trailer hitch
no floors
and most importantly the door handles work great
plans - remove drivetrain and door handles, use the rest for target practice for my birthday party
dang man, where'd you pick that up for 250? I could use one for a DD back & forth to work

.J u s t i n
07-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Dang I wish I could find one for that cheap around here to steal the 4.0 out of.

mrdylanr
07-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Wait isnt it all the cars that are turned in for the cash for clunkers will end up in the scrap yard?

abrzrkr
07-24-2009, 10:15 AM
How are they planning to track the destruction of the blocks? Will they come around and audit the serial numbers on the blocks and match them with the vin on the vehicle? More than likely if there is an audit process it will be a matter of counting the glassed blocks and comparing that to the number of vehicles that went through the program. More than likely the yard that takes in a 2000 xj 4.0 with low miles will glass the block from the 1992 xj that has half a trillion miles on it anyway. That 1992 was an engine that no one was going to use anyway. I think this is going to lower the price on usable engines at the yards. I think the only people who should be upset would be the rebuilders like Jasper.

Wrecker
07-24-2009, 10:24 AM
They'll put a big fine on doing it wrong. Catch a couple people and make an example of them. That will make the majority of them do it right.

Muzikman
07-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Problem is, as time goes on you won't have that 1992 engine laying around any more.

Shodan
07-24-2009, 10:36 AM
There was a dealer on the news yesterday talking about this. His math said there was enough money in the program for each dealer to buy back four clunkers if every dealer in the state participated. His thought was that no one would participate in the program once the federal money ran out.

I haven't researched it enough myself to know if he had any idea what he was talking about or not, just sayin'.

abrzrkr
07-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Then after the 1992's are gone they will replacing progressively newer/better engines. This should leave the available stock in really good shape. I know that scrap prices were up a few years ago but there should still be enough old stock out there.

cityslicker
07-24-2009, 12:49 PM
the i six is one of the best engines ever made?
they are just going to destroy them? wtf is wrong with people.

they should have incentives to buy better gear ratios so your millage is better, it's less wasteful...
But wtf do we care if some jagoff sells his xj, if they are throwing money at him and he don;t wheel it anyway who the **** cares. it just sucks none of us can get the parts...
My xj isn;t all that bad on gas anyway, I just keep the fluids changed and she hums along...

joshs1ofakindxj
07-24-2009, 01:23 PM
dang man, where'd you pick that up for 250? I could use one for a DD back & forth to work

I got it off a guy up here in Ithaca.

In the past I've picked up 2 cherokees for $200 in Ligonier (drove both home), I picked up 1 for $175 in Rochester, and now this one. Those deals just keep coming to me. :flipoff2:

Muzikman
07-24-2009, 01:45 PM
In a time when the national debt is higher than it's ever been, who thought that spending money on making old cars undrivable was a good idea?

abrzrkr
07-24-2009, 01:57 PM
Try this one.
http://erie.craigslist.org/cto/1286730326.html

JeepGeneral
07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
There was a dealer on the news yesterday talking about this. His math said there was enough money in the program for each dealer to buy back four clunkers if every dealer in the state participated. His thought was that no one would participate in the program once the federal money ran out.

I haven't researched it enough myself to know if he had any idea what he was talking about or not, just sayin'.

That has become a major concern, they put aside $1 billion for the Clunker deal. If you divide $1 billion by the number of dealers and average of $4000 per car, thats 4 clunkers per dealer. I talked with a Toyota dealer yesterday that had 70 deals waiting for Monday. At that rate, the money will be gone by the end of the day Monday.

busij44
07-24-2009, 02:35 PM
i would like to personally thank the simpletons who voted for obama for this.

+1

trailerrails
07-24-2009, 03:05 PM
That has become a major concern, they put aside $1 billion for the Clunker deal. If you divide $1 billion by the number of dealers and average of $4000 per car, thats 4 clunkers per dealer. I talked with a Toyota dealer yesterday that had 70 deals waiting for Monday. At that rate, the money will be gone by the end of the day Monday.

A major concern? I think that is great. That means we don't have much to worry about. Hopefully if they try to vote more money in for the program it will get shot down.

JeepGeneral
07-24-2009, 03:08 PM
A major concern? I think that is great. That means we don't have much to worry about. Hopefully if they try to vote more money in for the program it will get shot down.

I should rephrase, its a major concern for me. My income is based off of it.

trailerrails
07-24-2009, 04:35 PM

Oh, since you put it that way.

What did you do before this program rolled around?

jeepin ruby
07-24-2009, 05:43 PM
One of the national news ( I believe the CBS one with K. Curic) is doing a story tonight (7PM i think) on this and how its not such a good idea if any ones interested.

And yeah it does matter to us that some douche nozzle wants to trade his XJ... In case you havent heard they dont make em anymore!!

We are a dieing breed my friends! What will our children wheel in 15 years? Honda Civics?:011:

gonecheenin
07-24-2009, 05:50 PM
One of the national news ( I believe the CBS one with K. Curic) is doing a story tonight (7PM i think) on this and how its not such a good idea if any ones interested.

And yeah it does matter to us that some douche nozzle wants to trade his XJ... In case you havent heard they dont make em anymore!!

We are a dieing breed my friends! What will our children wheel in 15 years? Honda Civics?:011:

If the current administration & their friends has its way, the only place your kids will be wheeling is in their driveways.

DMG
07-25-2009, 12:06 AM

That is unfortunate.

abrzrkr
07-25-2009, 02:26 AM
If the current administration & their friends has its way, the only place your kids will be wheeling is in their driveways.
Have they closed down many places since they got in?

Deadman 94 xj
07-25-2009, 10:14 PM
F the program and F Obama.

wozz
07-25-2009, 11:14 PM

Yea he's acting stupidly :043:

DMG
07-25-2009, 11:29 PM

Agreed.

tjblair
07-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Agreed.

X3:bsflag:

warwagon98xj
07-25-2009, 11:59 PM
youre so very welcome

limegreentj
07-26-2009, 12:11 AM
you voted obama? do you still think he was a good choice? honestly?

RalphXJ
07-26-2009, 07:30 AM
The guy who lives downstairs at my APT just traded his 2000 XJ in MINT condition in on a brand new Patriot, I would have given him $4000 for his XJ, but it was gone before i knew it. If he wasn't 6'3 and in the army, I would have punched him in the face, what a waste of a perfectly good XJ!!!

DMG
07-26-2009, 09:55 AM
youre so very welcome

Do you realize how bad this is? The Obama admin just spent over a billion dollars of our money to get people to buy new cars that are marginally more effecient.
Of course keeping an older car running instead of building a new one is far better for the environment than smelting steel and turning petroleum into plastic and rubber to make a new car.

This was basically a ploy to bolster sales at the hand-picked car dealers that the Obama admin allowed to stay open.

Of course when this plan is over, Tom and others will have more trouble because people will want to wait for the next government incentive to buy a car. And they won't have cheap cars to sell people who can't or won't buy a new car. So maybe that will be the next .gov program, helping them buy cars.

Cebby
07-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Great post.

OverkillZJ
07-26-2009, 11:59 AM
youre so very welcome

Seriously, WHY?

tjblair
07-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Seriously, WHY?

Great question!

abrzrkr
07-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Takes jobs to smelt steel and make plastic though

DMG
07-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Takes jobs to smelt steel and make plastic though

Yes, I am sure the Japanese, Canadians, Mexicans and Chinese really appreciate it. :flipoff2:

96greenxjjeep
07-26-2009, 12:15 PM
hell mutha fawkin yeah^^^

limegreentj
07-26-2009, 12:57 PM
i was telling my wife yesterday...and no offense to anyone here because this applies to me...but....if you are driving around in an old "clunker" already and the goverment gives you 4000 dollars towards a new car....you probably still arent gonna be able to afford a new car....so eventually you are gonna lose it...just like people that cant afford a house but they still buy them anyway are losing their houses

88wd21
07-26-2009, 01:41 PM
It helps keep reposessors in buissness...

limegreentj
07-26-2009, 02:35 PM
yeah i guess...at least thats one business barack hussein obama helped out

jim91303
07-26-2009, 02:46 PM
gonna try this again ... 1st time the damn page timed out and lost all that i typed ......

this topic really gets my goat! this program along with many others this government hase is nothing but a buntch of shit. like 1 has said already ... they buy your old car and you get this nice new car ... that in short time to find that you cant afford so they take it back ... you loose you job cause layoffs continue then you loos eyouur house. so you apply for government aid and are denied, welfiar laughs at you and the banks will not help either cause you dont have a job or house .... so you kill adeer to feed your family and get arrested for poaching and fined .... not that you can pay it ... so back to jail ya go! this government has forgot how they work for ... us not themselves. they all need impeached and get some new faces and ideas inthere that will work. realistic plans, not these plans that help the rich get richeer and the poor become homeless.
how much more of the government are we gonna take? they are slowly becoming the very thing we spent the last 1900 yrs to destroy. this government is taking over ... jobs, banks, oil ... what else do they have 100% control of that we dont know about? slowly they are adding to the constatution and making provissions that allow them to take away your rights as a FREE AMERICAN. the very rights that this country wa founded on. come on america ... wake the f*ck up and see whats goin on. history has its way of repeating ... are we (us government) becoming the USSR of the 40s - 80s ? to me it looks like it .... the citizens keep loosing our rights and jobs yet the government stays strong and like i said .. the rich gets richer.
i can see this country heading towards another 'CIVIL WAR' but this time ... citizens VS government/milatary.

sorry if i hit a nerve with some of you but ... i had to vent after reading this tread. the topic or anything involving the government gets my blood boiling.

limegreentj
07-26-2009, 03:07 PM
i agree though...and it pisses me off when some asshole says "your welcome cuz i voted for obama" THOSE ARE THE PEOPLE THAT SHOULD BE GETTING ****ED....NOT ME! I DIDNT VOTE FOR THE ASSHOLE BUT I HAVE TO PAY FOR HIS DUMBASS BECAUSE AMERICANS ARE LAZY AND ****ING RETARDED! AND THEY ARE TOO AFRAID TO SAY NO BECAUSE HE IS A BLACK MAN....people dont even know if he is an american citizen for christ sake....and his wife said after he was elected that "she is finally proud of america....**** THEM!

DMG
07-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Could someone move this to the political forum?

limegreentj
07-26-2009, 05:32 PM
i didnt mean to turn it into a political thing, but too many people just dont give a **** about this kind of shit, and that is what is going to be the death of this country

DMG
07-26-2009, 09:01 PM
i didnt mean to turn it into a political thing, but too many people just dont give a **** about this kind of shit, and that is what is going to be the death of this country

We all turned it into a political thing because it is a political topic.

Tom, we aren't attacking you and your dealership, btw. Just the government programs.

Cebby
07-26-2009, 11:03 PM
We all turned it into a political thing because it is a political topic.

Tom, we aren't attacking you and your dealership, btw. Just the government programs.

And the half-wits that voted this putz into office.

Deadman 94 xj
07-27-2009, 09:16 AM
youre so very welcome

I find it funny that you say that because that is the same ignorance that put him in office in the first place. If you had a clue as to what's going on in my country today you'd want to keep comments like that to your self.

Nothing personal. Just get a clue :flipoff2:

limegreentj
07-27-2009, 10:18 AM
/\ x2

JeepGeneral
07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
I was just upset all the XJs are getting crushed. I got verification today, the scrap yards have 30 days to sell everything off the clunkers they can excluding the drivetrain. After 30 days they must be crushed.

The program is turning into a nightmare. The site has crashed every day this weekend and we still are unable to submit deals to get reimbursed. There are lots of unhappy customers waiting to get their new car. Part of the package we have to submit is proof that the engine has been killed and the car has been purchased by the scrap yard. What if the person ends up not qualifying or the government runs out of money? He/she now has no new car and a destroyed old car.

You can turn this into a political argument all you want, but the fact is what is done is done. Bitching about it on this website isn't going to get you anywhere. Since its done, I'm working my ass off to take advantage of it.

trailerrails
07-27-2009, 04:37 PM
You can turn this into a political argument all you want, but the fact is what is done is done. Bitching about it on this website isn't going to get you anywhere. Since its done, I'm working my ass off to take advantage of it.

Fawk yea, I think the idea is retarded but you would be more retarded as a sales person not to take advantage of every sale you can get from it.

88wd21
07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
[quote=JeepGeneral;167111]I was just upset all the XJs are getting crushed. I got verification today, the scrap yards have 30 days to sell everything off the clunkers they can excluding the drivetrain. After 30 days they must be crushed.

quote]
At least there is a chance they will go to smart yards that will strip them of every valuable nut and bolt they can and stockpile it before they have to ship the shells to get crushed. Definatly sucks for XJ owners, imagine what it does to people with less commen trucks that are goeing to go for this crap. That and scrap prices climbing(verry slowly). I have parts issues now...

OverkillZJ
07-27-2009, 08:16 PM

Word, make the best of it. Makes my stomach turn a bit seeing good vehicles destroyed though.

Deadman 94 xj
07-27-2009, 11:27 PM

Agreed, good luck Tom.

DiGGeR
07-29-2009, 08:19 AM
Well I just got screwed by the 'Cash for Clunkers' program! I found a '98 TJ loaded with a 4.0 and 5spd with a rotted frame for $500. I had plans on replacing the frame and turning it to my next DD. But he took it and turned it into the 'cash for clunkers' program and got $4500 towards a new car. Its a flipp'n shame that jeep is never going to see the road again! it was a sweet ride, just a bad frame. Life SUCKS!:076:

2002wranglerX
07-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Well I just got screwed by the 'Cash for Clunkers' program! I found a '98 TJ loaded with a 4.0 and 5spd with a rotted frame for $500. I had plans on replacing the frame and turning it to my next DD. But he took it and turned it into the 'cash for clunkers' program and got $4500 towards a new car. Its a flipp'n shame that jeep is never going to see the road again! it was a sweet ride, just a bad frame. Life SUCKS!:076:

it's going to get hard to find parts here eventually!

I might buy a 200 dollar car that barely runs from Jtech and turn it in for 4500 on a new dodge truck (4500 plus 4500 allowance).

XJchris98
07-29-2009, 09:55 AM
it's going to get hard to find parts here eventually!

I might buy a 200 dollar car that barely runs from Jtech and turn it in for 4500 on a new dodge truck (4500 plus 4500 allowance).

IIRC, You have to own the car for at least 1yr to qualify. The deal only runs until November

SirFuego
07-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Like the previous poster said, it needs to be titled, registered, and insured in your name for at least a year.

Even if you had a parts vehicle lying around that could cheaply be made running, you can't just trade that in if it wasn't insured for the last year.

To trade in for a truck, you need at least a 2mpg increase over your trade in, to get $3500 and I believe a 5 mpg increase to get $4500. The new 4wd Ram I believe is rated at 16 combined, so you would need to have a vehicle rated for less than 14 to get $3500 or 11 to get $4500 (double those for the incentive).

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm is helpful for determining the mpgs of your tradein.

This is all based on stuff I've read about the clunkers program (from respected sites), so maybe there are more "gotchas" than that, but the bottom line is that you need really, really shitty mileage on your trade-in for it to qualify for a new full-size truck. You'd probably need something like a Lamborghini to get the full credit.

JeepGeneral
07-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Go to fueleconomy.gov and click on the CARS link. You can put in your vehicle and the new vehicle you are looking at and it will tell you if you qualify for an incentive and how much.

2002wranglerX
07-29-2009, 12:18 PM
ah bummer. oh well.

doublejz
07-29-2009, 04:18 PM
I was debating on doing it... canceled my insurance on my zj about 2 weeks ago... and now I found this.

It must also have been continuously insured consistent with State laws and registered to you for at least one year immediately prior to trade-in.

justin'sbig7
07-29-2009, 04:41 PM
i was talking to a guy who just traded in a car for cash 4 clunkers, the salesman told him that due the huge response to the program they may only run it till the end of august (this was after the papers were signed)... once they run out of money its over.

on a side note, is it wrong i asked him to thank me for paying for part of his new car?

oh, and supposedly they fill the engine, trans and transfercase with something they called liquid glass and run it till the engine seizes, then the glass stuff hardens and everything is junk. they do it on site at the dealer.

CESCO
07-29-2009, 04:48 PM
on a side note, is it wrong i asked him to thank me for paying for part of his new car?

good one. hopefully our taxes go up so they will give more cash for clunkers:icon_oak:

limegreentj
07-29-2009, 04:53 PM
oh, and supposedly they fill the engine, trans and transfercase with something they called liquid glass and run it till the engine seizes, then the glass stuff hardens and everything is junk. they do it on site at the dealer.

liquid glass is what they use in bars leak and stuff like that...when used in small doses in the cooling system its ok...but you put it in the oil and run it and it freezes everything up within seconds...its a shame...

r6cyclegal
07-30-2009, 01:44 PM
I was just upset all the XJs are getting crushed. I got verification today, the scrap yards have 30 days to sell everything off the clunkers they can excluding the drivetrain. After 30 days they must be crushed.

The program is turning into a nightmare. The site has crashed every day this weekend and we still are unable to submit deals to get reimbursed. There are lots of unhappy customers waiting to get their new car. Part of the package we have to submit is proof that the engine has been killed and the car has been purchased by the scrap yard. What if the person ends up not qualifying or the government runs out of money? He/she now has no new car and a destroyed old car.

Tom, Sell sell sell!!

I feel bad for the dealers that are going to be rioted when the money runs out and people lose their cars and have to buy a new one and not be able to afford it!!!

It's one of those programs that sounds good when you hear you can get $4500 back on a new vehicle but then you realize all the stupid (destroying the engines) and bad (have to destroy it before get approved for program) that makes this a bad program!! It may help the dealers now to sell new cars but it's really going to hurt them when there are no used cars there for them to sell.

The sad part is that we all know that since it's such a popular program that they will put more tax money towards it!!

justin'sbig7
07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
try not to cry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjBilHH5z2A

OverkillZJ
07-30-2009, 04:30 PM
What a waste... wow...

JeepGeneral
07-30-2009, 04:59 PM
"The other ones that we did just died, but this one gave us a show!"

Typical 4.0 doesn't want to die!

trailerrails
07-30-2009, 05:50 PM
One of the comments on the video.

I can't even watch this, it really feels like watching an animal being put down.

x2

limegreentj
07-30-2009, 05:59 PM
and the reason for doing this is pollution control??? look at that ****er smoke!!!!

jeepin ruby
07-30-2009, 06:03 PM
try not to cry

You beat me to it. I was just gonna post this. Yeah doing that to a perfectly good Jeep is much better that giving it to a single mom workin 3 jobs, that has to take the bus every day. Or somebody that lost theyre job due to the "economic downturn" and cant make theyre car note any more. How stupid are Americans that they have no problems with this whole fawkin mess!

limegreentj
07-30-2009, 06:07 PM
the problem with america is that we seriously waste so much stuff...something breaks...dont fix it just buy another....people destroy shit for fun just because they can afford to....instead give it to the less fortunate or sell it for dirt cheap to the less fortunate (if you are that greedy)

tjblair
07-30-2009, 06:31 PM
What a waste. FAWK Obama!

pittim
07-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Looks like they've pretty much ran out of money...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32228179/ns/business-autos/

Oh, and that video of the Jeep seizing up reminded me of this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89AxuhEHc3o

justin'sbig7
07-30-2009, 09:13 PM
if you read that article, it says they are asking for more money.... gm is pushing for it and also another rep... sooooo. i can see this coming "it is stimulating our economy, release another billion in tax dollars". it would really help the economy if theyd sell all of the parts off of them instead of being a bunch of assholes.

Krod
07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
WIN!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-sources-Govt-to-suspend-apf-3529110957.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=1&asset=&ccode=

:flipoff2:

OverkillZJ
07-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Suspending it doesn't undo the damage. Was a stupid WASTEFUL idea in the first place.

When I retire computers that are used and functional, they're given away or sold for cheap. Otherwise they're used for parts.

If they're so old parts are useless, they're used at destructothon...no matter what, much better used than this program. Apparently I recycle better than greenies.

pittim
07-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Yeah, it's 1 billion dollars wasted on people hanging on to POS cars and trucks that they cant sell, or cars and trucks that drive fine.

JeepGeneral
07-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I've been entering deals onto the website for the past 2 hours, I've got zero to go the whole way through. This sucks.

SirFuego
07-30-2009, 11:49 PM
WIN!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AP-sources-Govt-to-suspend-apf-3529110957.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=1&asset=&ccode=

:flipoff2:

Awesome. Our great gov't can't even keep up with a one-time program. I can't wait till universal health care is passed...

grannygears
07-31-2009, 03:41 AM
try not to cry

WOW I feel like I just watched somebody slowly torture their dog to death.

q-ball
07-31-2009, 09:45 AM
CASH FOR CLUNKERS OVER????? Atleast on hold for now!!! Another government well thought out 1 year plan that lasted 6 days!!! Way to go government!!!

Muzikman
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, my father was going to try and take advantage of it and he was told this morning that it was stopped.

Muzikman
07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
They had a dealership on the news last night that said that it took 5 hours to get one deal to go through. I guess the website has been hit so hard that it keeps crashing.

I say try it in the middle of the night (2am-6am), less people on then I am sure.

I've been entering deals onto the website for the past 2 hours, I've got zero to go the whole way through. This sucks.

2002wranglerX
07-31-2009, 10:38 AM
CASH FOR CLUNKERS OVER????? Atleast on hold for now!!! Another government well thought out 1 year plan that lasted 6 days!!! Way to go government!!!

seriously, at this rate it will cost 60 billion if they want to keep it going.... that's up there with that little enron thing.... ya....

Muzikman
07-31-2009, 11:00 AM
I do have to say, this has boosted new car sales. That is the positive light in all this. If the car manufacturers and dealers make more money, this could be a good thing.

trailerrails
07-31-2009, 11:08 AM
I do have to say, this has boosted new car sales. That is the positive light in all this. If the car manufacturers and dealers make more money, this could be a good thing.

Yea, but who is going to buy a new car after this program is over? Everyone will just wait till the next program comes along.

Muzikman
07-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Maybe. Or if we can just get through these hard times, people will go back to the 1990's attitude of spending money.

SirFuego
07-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Yea, but who is going to buy a new car after this program is over? Everyone will just wait till the next program comes along.
But they drive a "clunker", so they can't afford to wait for another round of funding since the car is ready to be scrapped due to rust, burning oil, smokey exhaust, and an engine that only sometimes starts.

Wait, what? That's not what the gov't considers a "clunker"?

OverkillZJ
07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
They pulled the video. Shocker.

Muzikman
07-31-2009, 12:17 PM
The car my father was going to trade in has a bad water pump that spews coolant all over the engine bay, the fuel rail is leaking and the A/C doesn't work. It really is a clunker. :)

But they drive a "clunker", so they can't afford to wait for another round of funding since the car is ready to be scrapped due to rust, burning oil, smokey exhaust, and an engine that only sometimes starts.

Wait, what? That's not what the gov't considers a "clunker"?

Cebby
07-31-2009, 01:39 PM
House approved 2 billion more just now for this program...

SirFuego
07-31-2009, 01:45 PM
From what? Remaining money from the auto bailout?

SirFuego
07-31-2009, 01:52 PM
After reading an article about it, I'm confused.

Are dealerships selling these vehicles with the appropriate discount, then applying for the rebate through the website? Or is the website being used before the transaction to verify that the trade in is valid?

trailerrails
07-31-2009, 02:20 PM
House approved 2 billion more just now for this program...

I just heard that too

OverkillZJ
07-31-2009, 02:28 PM
**** the governenment, stop spending money assholes.

trailerrails
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090731/ap_on_go_co/us_cash_for_clunkers

trailerrails
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
As a side note, i might have to go down to a dealership and see if they need any temporary help.

JeepGeneral
07-31-2009, 08:26 PM
After reading an article about it, I'm confused.

Are dealerships selling these vehicles with the appropriate discount, then applying for the rebate through the website? Or is the website being used before the transaction to verify that the trade in is valid?

Yes, we have to provide a signed bill of sale as part of the paperwork to get the goverment refund. They also ask that you destroy the motor first, which we won't do. If the refund gets bounced back, dealers are out the cash and the clunker's owner is out of a car.

justin'sbig7
07-31-2009, 08:40 PM
They pulled the video. Shocker.

it must be back up, it came up for me.... maybe its getting a lot of hits and shut it down teporarily. this just really sucks, the guy at work was like" its great, my son couldnt afford a new truck without the program" i asked him if 4500 made a new truck affordable, maybe his son should re think spending the money as his debt ratio may be on the high end. one small unseen problem in that kids future and that truck gets repo'd

SirFuego
07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes, we have to provide a signed bill of sale as part of the paperwork to get the goverment refund. They also ask that you destroy the motor first, which we won't do. If the refund gets bounced back, dealers are out the cash and the clunker's owner is out of a car.
So the customer doesn't get the new car until the refund goes through? I assume the customer is allowed to cancel the transaction if the refund bounces back?

This whole situation is all screwed up. I bet you are exhausted -- are you even going to be able to go to Rock Run still?

pittim
07-31-2009, 10:23 PM
it must be back up, it came up for me.... maybe its getting a lot of hits and shut it down teporarily. this just really sucks, the guy at work was like" its great, my son couldnt afford a new truck without the program" i asked him if 4500 made a new truck affordable, maybe his son should re think spending the money as his debt ratio may be on the high end. one small unseen problem in that kids future and that truck gets repo'd
yeah, especially since you have to buy a new truck. So say he buys a new truck for around $20k, he still has to come up with $15k. Doing that, vs buying a couple year old truck for $10k and trade in his old vehicle.

It's like when people see SALE on an item they think they have to have it just because it is on sale.

jeepin ruby
07-31-2009, 11:31 PM
I have a question about this program. Are these people getting any trade in value on these cars theyre trading in? I mean if I were to take in my XJ with 50K and absolutley no rust or machanical issues what would I get for it? Just the 3500-4500? The vehichle is worthless to them since theyre gonna destroy it. In my mind its worth the clunker discount just in regular trade in value.

And if god forbid I get in a wreck and total it tomorrow, is my ins. co. gonna give me 1000.00 bucks for it cause its now considered a "clunker"?

jeepin ruby
07-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Oh, and just to clarify. I am in NO WAY thinking of trading in my Jeep and driving away in some... car!!!!

Im just wonderin...

JeepGeneral
08-01-2009, 12:16 AM
So the customer doesn't get the new car until the refund goes through? I assume the customer is allowed to cancel the transaction if the refund bounces back?

This whole situation is all screwed up. I bet you are exhausted -- are you even going to be able to go to Rock Run still?

No, we have been delivering the vehicle and waiting for the refund from the government. We entered our first deals on Tuesday, and have yet to get one paid.

Its been a long week, I'm on hour #66 for the week and I still have to work all day tomorrow. I'm going to try and make Rock Run but my yard is almost up to my knees.

You don't get any cash for your trade-in, just the $3500-$4500 voucher and whatever rebate the new car has. Chrysler is doubling the voucher, so thats $9000 off some models. New Calibers can be had for $11K.