PDA

View Full Version : Boxing frame and a 3 link

95TacoKid
08-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Well I started out the day not planning on boxing my frame or doing a 3 link (been tossing the 3 link around just too busy for it). All I wanted to do was fix a crack that seemed to develop after memorial day weekend this year.

One thing led to another and some rust was found... I know tacoma's have frame recalls but I want to keep my truck and I have 63in chevys on the rear now so a frame swap would involve torching off the factory spring mounts and putting new ones on, I know toyota was both junking and swapping frames but neither seems to float my boat... unless they just give me a frame and let me swap it over not the dealer...:003:

Pics of todays progess will follow...

95TacoKid
08-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Before...
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000691.jpg
bed off...
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000692.jpg
rust... had to pick at it pretty good to find it but its there
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000693.jpg
crack I was originally concerned with...
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000695.jpg
everything out of the way... now for the fun part of cleaning it all up before it gets boxed...
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000703.jpg

95TacoKid
08-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Got a few questions about coils for the rear too....

Basically I have no clue what coils I want to get right now... not sure if front springs from a cherokee will be too stiff or if the length will work out... I figure the stock springs from a Grand Cherokee would probably be about the right spring rate but also not sure on the length...

So if anyone has coils sitting around after a lift was put on shoot me a pm and maybe we can work somethig out.

Also if anyone has them sitting around some measurements like diameter and length would be awesome to get an idea of what to look for.

Any help will be greatly appreciated... ideas/suggestions????

XJchris98
08-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Got a few questions about coils for the rear too....

Basically I have no clue what coils I want to get right now... not sure if front springs from a cherokee will be too stiff or if the length will work out... I figure the stock springs from a Grand Cherokee would probably be about the right spring rate but also not sure on the length...

So if anyone has coils sitting around after a lift was put on shoot me a pm and maybe we can work somethig out.

Also if anyone has them sitting around some measurements like diameter and length would be awesome to get an idea of what to look for.

Any help will be greatly appreciated... ideas/suggestions????

I know someone who'll actually have some stock ZJ springs coming off in a week or so buddy. I could get some measurments for you. Where are you planning on mounting the coil buckets on the frame (like how much height do you need)?

Front springs (either XJ or ZJ) might be a little stiff for the rear end. Esp since theres not a whole lot of weight back there....but rear springs from a ZJ might be the ticket.

Oh...and did I mention how jealous I am of your shop?:flipoff2:

DMG
08-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I have some coils off a TJ (I think) that you can try. If they work you can have them.

Wrecker
08-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I have some stock ones from a Ranger. Free

95TacoKid
08-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok I took some measurements today and it looks like ill need a spring 12-14in with the weight of the truck on it... so probably atleast 16in unloaded... diameter shouldnt matter.

Chris definately let me know when those ZJ springs come off... offer some help so I can possibly get them sooner and see if they work haha :overkill:

DMG if you get time see if you can get some measurements... the front springs might be pretty good from a TJ im thinking the rear may be short.

Wrecker I take it the ranger springs are from a TTB (or whatever its called) front suspension on a ranger? And when u get time some length measurements would be awesome too.

Thanks for all the help guys.

MF Steve!
08-02-2009, 03:12 PM
If you end up needing coils that are taller than stock heights, I have some 4.5" Rubicon Express fronts from an XJ. I'll see about getting some measurements.

Fourx4sr4me
08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Glad to see you still have your toy, I though it went to toyota heaven since you haven't been around. Hey, while your doing that three link, you might as well cut that IFS stuff off!!!

95TacoKid
08-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Well yesterday oldschoolyotaguy stopped down to help out a bit... found some more rust around the shackes. Got that cut out and new metal in place and got the frame rails cleaned up a bit more. Also got the plate cut out to box the frame.Today is probably going to be calling around and seeing where i can get parts the fastest... and hopefully get the frame rails all cleaned up and ready to box. Any one have any ideas on how to rust proof / undercoat the inside of the boxed area after it gets burned in?????

Glad to see you still have your toy, I though it went to toyota heaven since you haven't been around. Hey, while your doing that three link, you might as well cut that IFS stuff off!!!

Im not lettin this thing go till there is nothing left haha.

And I would love to cut the IFS off but dont have the time and definately not the money right now. So I figure im just getting practice linking the rear for when I do swap the front. Only one more year of school then hopefully ill be making money and not spending all of it :biggrin:

CESCO
08-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Call a suspension company to help you with what springs would be best. I am gong to be doing coils front and rear and have been talking to Cage Offroad, they have been a big help.

trailerrails
08-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Just a question, if you have it that stripped, why not just cut it all off from the t-case back and replace it with 2x4 rectangle tubing? It would be much less welding and much stronger.

95TacoKid
08-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Just a question, if you have it that stripped, why not just cut it all off from the t-case back and replace it with 2x4 rectangle tubing? It would be much less welding and much stronger.

Well I dont have any 2x4 tubing or I may have considered that, I had the plate here already so that was no expense to me. Also if I were to cut if from the t-case back I would be getting into body/bed mounts and a lot more work on cross members and such, not to mention making sure everything is square and true.... this way I kinda have a base to work off of. I figured this would be fairly cheap and still plenty strong.

XJchris98
08-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Did you figure out where your going to get your joints from? If your still looking for stuff, maybe try giving ballistic a call and see what they can do. Just make sure they have everything you need so your not stuck waiting for parts to come in

pittim
08-04-2009, 12:42 AM
I know a lot of IFS guys that dont have coilovers are running OME springs.

Also, your taco wouldn't get a new frame. toyota is buying back the 95.5-00's and crushing them, and swapping frames for 01-04's.

trailerrails
08-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Well I dont have any 2x4 tubing or I may have considered that, I had the plate here already so that was no expense to me. Also if I were to cut if from the t-case back I would be getting into body/bed mounts and a lot more work on cross members and such, not to mention making sure everything is square and true.... this way I kinda have a base to work off of. I figured this would be fairly cheap and still plenty strong.

Ok, just throwing it out there.

The bed mounts would come off pretty easily and you have all the cross members removed already. Also have you considered that you will be removing all the support that the leaf springs gave to the back of the frame? Now the bed is going to be cantilevered off the back of the truck. if you ever carry any weight in the bed of the truck it could break off.

By the way who is going to be inspecting this and passing this off as ok to be driven on public roads?

95TacoKid
08-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Got all my stuff ordered for the links and it should all be here by friday. http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000739.jpg

Also got one side of the frame boxed...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000738.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000740.jpg

And how the truck sits when im not working on it... trying to keep it out of the way

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000733.jpg

Krod
08-04-2009, 11:58 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000733.jpg

Looks like VVVVV

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj136/satnav9r20/3729612993_64f1b2bfbc-1.jpg

:045: :overkill:

gonecheenin
08-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I'd suggest a "fish" plate @ the vertical seam where the plating starts dude.

By the way who is going to be inspecting this and passing this off as ok to be driven on public roads?

Why you think it wouldn't be OK Trailer? Looks like its a pretty solid, better than factory job too me & the frame should be Plenty strong enough to handle the new suspension style (Old C10 frames weren't real different even when they came with coils instead of leaves)

trailerrails
08-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Why you think it wouldn't be OK Trailer? Looks like its a pretty solid, better than factory job too me & the frame should be Plenty strong enough to handle the new suspension style (Old C10 frames weren't real different even when they came with coils instead of leaves)

I was worried about the frame being cantilevered off the back, it is going to put more stress on an already weak frame. Only the back 1/3 of the frame is being reinforced. If he is never going to carry anything in the bed it should not be an issue.

oldschoolyotaguy
08-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I was worried about the frame being cantilevered off the back, it is going to put more stress on an already weak frame. Only the back 1/3 of the frame is being reinforced. If he is never going to carry anything in the bed it should not be an issue.

ehhhhhh, ding ding ding, wonggggggggggg.....

tacos are boxed, from the front bumper brackets, clear back about 5-7" past the cab, then the inside plate for the frame is bent inside the channel and just the ouside is left from there back... he's boxing the channel in, it'll be way stronger than stock and just as strong, if not stronger than a fully boxed frame....which, if you look in the pics of the plate welded in, right under the tall, front-most bed mount, its boxed, and theres a vertical bead joining the two

also, 2x4 box would be a much much much much weaker connection, since there would be a butt joint and fishplates to take up the added stress, which would be horribly placed, right in the center of the truck, no so smart, BUT, if there was a cage tying the whole truck, front to back, together, it would be fine, but making connections on something like thats not very smart....using the existing frame, that is pretty damn solid, distributes weight, the length of the rails, and doesnt have a weak point where the frame was heated by a weld and the heat input from the fishplates....and, then it woud have to be cut, angled, welded, just right, so the bed mounts are in the ideal location, both width, height and lengthwise, or the body lines wont line up, wayyyyyy too much work

also, yes, if he put a ton of gravel in the bed, behind the coils, there would be added stress....butttttttt, its a 95 tacoma, anyone know the payload for it? or does anyone care? and since he doesnt haul enormous amounts of weight with it, and with coils it'll sag like a mother f***er, so rear frame strength and payload, IN THIS CASE, dont matter, its a dd/wheeler not a construction vehicle

trailerrails
08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
ehhhhhh, ding ding ding, wonggggggggggg.....

tacos are boxed, from the front bumper brackets, clear back about 5-7" past the cab, then the inside plate for the frame is bent inside the channel and just the ouside is left from there back... he's boxing the channel in, it'll be way stronger than stock and just as strong, if not stronger than a fully boxed frame....which, if you look in the pics of the plate welded in, right under the tall, front-most bed mount, its boxed, and theres a vertical bead joining the two

also, 2x4 box would be a much much much much weaker connection, since there would be a butt joint and fishplates to take up the added stress, which would be horribly placed, right in the center of the truck, no so smart, BUT, if there was a cage tying the whole truck, front to back, together, it would be fine, but making connections on something like thats not very smart....using the existing frame, that is pretty damn solid, distributes weight, the length of the rails, and doesnt have a weak point where the frame was heated by a weld and the heat input from the fishplates....and, then it woud have to be cut, angled, welded, just right, so the bed mounts are in the ideal location, both width, height and lengthwise, or the body lines wont line up, wayyyyyy too much work

also, yes, if he put a ton of gravel in the bed, behind the coils, there would be added stress....butttttttt, its a 95 tacoma, anyone know the payload for it? or does anyone care? and since he doesnt haul enormous amounts of weight with it, and with coils it'll sag like a mother f***er, so rear frame strength and payload, IN THIS CASE, dont matter, its a dd/wheeler not a construction vehicle

WOW, did I touch a nerve there or something?

95TacoKid
08-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks Koup, you saved me a lot of typing lol

So lets see... ummm...

I do plan on fish plating the vertical weld where I boxed the frame.

The most weight I carry is 500lbs or so of scrap but its usually closer to 400lbs and that is once every couple months for all of about 2 miles.

Now I have been checking into springs and I figure 200#/in is a good spring rate for me... stock TJ springs are only 120#/in from what I read... ZJ's are 200#/in front and 160#/in rear... however the 4.5in RE XJ springs should be around 190#/in... im leaning towards the RE springs...

and ohh yea my truck is NOT purple Matt...

XJchris98
08-05-2009, 01:02 PM
the 4.5in RE XJ springs should be around 190#/in... im leaning towards the RE springs...

Welllllllllllllll, if you cant find any used springs I wassssss thinking about replacing my 4.5" springs with some 5.5" ones ;)

And it might not be purple, but it DOES look like a wheel-barrel sitting like that:overkill:

Fourx4sr4me
08-05-2009, 02:09 PM
It's not purple, it's cobalt blue, just ask my daughter. We use to have the streched version
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3168/2751954222_63b24a927e_b.jpg

You better order a proportioning valve and get rid of that LSPV. That will never work with you being linked in the rear.

Mount the new valve in the cab for easy adjustments.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2439/3609283860_702e98ce31_b.jpg

Sycotik Skier
08-05-2009, 02:28 PM
john yours was purple

oldschoolyotaguy
08-05-2009, 10:07 PM
WOW, did I touch a nerve there or something?

no, just figured before the same questions get asked, ohhh, 65 more times, i'd explain it all....but wes is finishing boxing in the other side right now... then its waiting for parts...

HeepH8erTy
08-06-2009, 07:24 AM
man i got to get down there and see how this is coming. you gonna be down there tonight wes?

95TacoKid
08-06-2009, 11:21 AM
yea ill be there ty... just stop on down

I got my order from balistic in... just waiting on summit to come through with the johnny joints and ill be makin my links... the joints should be here tomorrow.

HeepH8erTy
08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
sweet. i'll call ya

oldschoolyotaguy
08-09-2009, 11:09 PM
quit boozin all weekend and get this damn thing done!!!!

95TacoKid
08-10-2009, 07:21 AM
quit boozin all weekend and get this damn thing done!!!!

Yea umm pittsburgh got the best of me this weekend... and last night some chick had me distracted... but I did make some progress... forgot the camera at home but I should have some updated pics up tonight.

Should have all the links in except the panhard bar tonight... still up in the air on what coils to get... but I need to decide soon.

95TacoKid
08-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Well got some springs that appear to be about perfect (thanks Chris) and have all the links in except for the panhard bar.

Now the only problem is I had a slight brain malfunction when I ordered all my parts and so I only have two weld on bushings for the track bar... which means it wont be adjustable. Now I Really dont feel like putting in an order from ballistic for one tube adapter so does anyone sell them locally??? I figure if i can atleast get a threaded tube adapter I will just pick up a heim from tractor supply and be good to go.

DMG
08-12-2009, 01:48 PM
I think I have a lone tube adaptor sitting at the shop. I can leave it sitting on the hood of the ugly red 4runner if you want to see if it will work for you.

jackb1
08-12-2009, 03:52 PM
I have a coulple random sizes leftover. What dimensions?

95TacoKid
08-13-2009, 07:22 AM
My tube adapters are 1.25 ID and 1.75 OD

jackb1
08-13-2009, 08:47 AM
I'll check tonight. Thread?

95TacoKid
08-13-2009, 01:49 PM
i believe its 3/4 in 16 tpi thread

XJchris98
08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Wes....if you cant find an adapter and dont feel like putting an order in through ballistic, give Alex at carolinatruggies a call. He carries 99% of Ballistic's stuff, just doesnt have the crappy wait times that Ballistic does.

I just ordered that bushing for my upper link on Wednesday and it'll be here friday morning. Cant beat same day shipping! :023:

95TacoKid
08-14-2009, 12:34 AM
well here are some updated pics... everything is pretty much together for the suspension besides mounting the springs and some more bracing on the brackets.

ohh and I just used the two weld on bushings I had for the track bar and I think its going to work... Its all centered up at what im hoping is ride height.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000754.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000755.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000756.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/P1000758.jpg

well gettin up at 5:30am tomorrow is going to suck... but I was pumped I got as much done as i did tonight.

Jeepin'Jones
08-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Looks cool nice welds.

HeepH8erTy
08-14-2009, 08:00 AM
damn wes... thats ****in sweet. haha i think its funny though that u did this all this work to switch from leaves to coils and im dying to get rid of my coils and put leaves on haha funny how that works... but good shit man. i dig it

XJchris98
08-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Looks good!

Oh, and I think you have those coils in upside down :116:

brent66
08-14-2009, 09:58 AM
looking good bro

oldschoolyotaguy
08-23-2009, 06:26 PM
damn wes... thats ****in sweet. haha i think its funny though that u did this all this work to switch from leaves to coils and im dying to get rid of my coils and put leaves on haha funny how that works... but good shit man. i dig it

stupidity reins

lookin good mang, now where the hells the flex pics, get your apartment together and go run over some cars:fsniper:

PurplePinzeR
08-23-2009, 09:20 PM
i know someone with a 4 runner you could run over, its red, he lives close to you in erie. hes dumb

95TacoKid
08-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Ok well lets just say it was a close call weather or not this thing was going to get done before school... but it is finished.

Flexed her out today after my first class for the first time, she stuffed better than I had thought... pics will come... I just got my internet working so I have some shit I need to do first

95TacoKid
08-24-2009, 02:44 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/0824091015.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/0824091015a.jpg
tires nice and centered at full stuff... room for 35's ????? haha

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/0824091016.jpg
droooopp

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/wessel_09/3%20link/0824091022.jpg

overall im happy... ill try to get some pics on flat ground and upload some more of the during... now just to try her out in the dirt... maybe this weekend.

oldschoolyotaguy
08-24-2009, 06:09 PM
damn son!!!! haha at full stuff, perfecto!! haha

dammit do i need money........