PDA

View Full Version : Carb Spacer

Mack
08-12-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm looking to make a carb spacer, throttle body spacer or whatever the hell it's called. Either way, I'm trying to make the damned thing that spaces the carb and lets it dump more fuel into the motor.

Anywho....

I was wondering if it would be easier to use a hockey puck or a steel pipe coupling. (I work in a conduit factor and I played hockey, so what the hell...) It's something that'll just be temporary when I put my 77 F150 into the truck pulls.

I'd just like some feedback or other recomendations. Thanks.

limegreentj
08-12-2009, 12:10 AM
dont waste your time...I...along with many others believe its a bullshit claim....a TB spacer isnt gonna give you more horsepower...at least not noticeable horsepower

EDIT: and...those spacers that they sell are machined out of a block of aluminum...i guess you could make one out of just about anything...but i really think it would be a waste of time...just a pain in the dick

stesul411
08-12-2009, 01:16 AM
On a carb or Throttle body injection engine the intake handles both fuel and air delivery to the combustion chambers. The spacer works, by increasing the total intake volume, and adds a ram effect to the air/fuel mixture by giving the charge more time to mix and atomize the fuel. They have been proven to add some bottom end torque and horse power.
On a multi port FI engine, the fuel is sprayed directly into the combustion chamber in a pre measured amount. The intake and throttle body on MPFI engines just handle incoming air. Spacers for these engines have not really been proven to add the power they advertise.

limegreentj
08-12-2009, 01:26 AM
thank you for explaining how it worked...i didnt take the time to (i figured he knew) but you are correct with the FI engines...i just figured it wouldnt work on carb'ed engines either

nitrolegend
08-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Yes they work on any fuel system where the air & fuel have to pass through the spacer.

Nothingface5384
08-24-2009, 10:45 PM
seems like they dont work well or at all for fuel injected engines( no personal experiance just hear say)

on the other hand, for carb engines.. they work awsome( different engines vary of course) like for instance my buick 350 loves a 2inch carb spacer) 4 holes give better torque while the open plenium helps on the upper end

Sycotik Skier
08-25-2009, 04:51 PM
I had heard that TB spacers were an excellent addition for the Jeep 4.0 because the intake has such a sharp turn after the throttle body. the spacer would help with turbulence. It's irrelevant to this post and me since neither has a 4.0

cjw94xk
08-26-2009, 08:13 AM
I had heard that TB spacers were an excellent addition for the Jeep 4.0 because the intake has such a sharp turn after the throttle body. the spacer would help with turbulence. It's irrelevant to this post and me since neither has a 4.0

I have been doing a lot of reading up on this when it comes to the 4.0. Now on my old Cherokee I put a powerdyne tb spacer on it and I swear that I felt an increase. Honestly, I think it was in my head...