PDA

View Full Version : 3" lift problems?

Sloth_Fratelli
08-17-2009, 09:25 PM
so i got my eye on 2 jeeps just waiting to get em checked out (i can fix a few things but i aint no mechanic) and im either gonna be buying a 95 XJ 5 speed 4.0 HO or a 2000 XJ basically the same but i think it might be a flood car. anyway im thinking about getting the 3" sus. lift, ive talked to some friends about it and i can handle the lift. only problem is i was talking to my friend who body lifted his chevy(i cant remember what model) and had to get some part for his tranny cause it was a manual. since im getting a sus lift will that be a problem for me? i know not much goes wrong under 4" but i just wanted to check before i dropped the $450 to figure out a few miles down the road i messed something up that cost way more than that haha

wozz
08-17-2009, 09:28 PM
but i think it might be a flood car.

Don't touch it!!!

I bet it will be plagued with rusty grounds/electrical problems down the road.

Sloth_Fratelli
08-17-2009, 09:46 PM
my aunt works at state farm so i can get the carfax for free... all i know about the possible flood car is that it has a "R" title which my aunt says is when a car is toatled by the insurance company and then brought back up to state req's for highway use. i kinda want that one more cause its newer/has less milage, but if it is a flood car i dont even wanna look at it.

wozz
08-17-2009, 10:23 PM
"R" doesn't mean totaled by a flood. It can mean it was hit it the front/back/fire etc. I also think a recovered theft has a r title. I probably wouldn't buy an R title unless I knew how did the work and what all was done. Odds are you are not going to find that information. If you do buy it use the R title to you advantage ie talk the person down.

wozz
08-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh why is this in the fab section?

Mykal
08-17-2009, 10:35 PM
If I were in the market for a new XJ Id go with a pre '99 one.
'99 was the
-last year with distributor ignition
-last year for HP Dana 30
-last year for 0630 head which was not known for cracking
-first year for new style intake manifold
-29 spline 8.25 rear.

So from those two, Id go with the '95. Also pre mid '96 are less prone to vibes after lift. Im at 4" with no vibes on my '95. Most people cant go 2" without having vibes on the '96 and up.

What are you going to use it for?

Sloth_Fratelli
08-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh why is this in the fab section?

the actual question was wether putting a 3" sus. lift on it would mess with the tranny or anything else.

and im using the car for dd/wheeling

Mykal
08-17-2009, 11:35 PM
On the '95 itll be a toss up. On the '99 you will almost surely get them.
If you do get vibes you can fix it one of two ways.
The right way and of course more expensive would be to get a slip yoke eliminator and driveshaft. The cheap way is to use some square tube to lower your transfercase.
Im assuming since you are gonna DD it you wont be beating on it much so a drop would work for a little while until you could save up for a SYE and DS. Of course with going that route you will lose a little clearance underneath that the lift just got you.

Sloth_Fratelli
08-18-2009, 12:01 AM
waaaait a minute would i need sye and a drive shaft? whaaaaat? haha please tell me DS means domething plesant like Dont Sweat it or something... and by drop do you mean take the lift off? sorry lifts are something new to me.

Mykal
08-18-2009, 12:17 AM
If you get vibes, (which you are MORE likely to in the '99) you will need to correct it. Again, theres two ways to do that as stated above.

Lowering your transfercase = drop
The square tube between the frame rail and the crossmember is what Im talking about.
http://polytropia.com/images/cherokee/TransCaseDrop.JPG

Like I said, Id go with the '95 and take the better chance of not having to mess with vibes.

tjblair
08-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Eh, just do a body lift.:023:

Sloth_Fratelli
08-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Haha I'm going for ground clearance not just trying to jack it up. I'm also thinking about a 4.5" lift would that be practical for a DD? Like I said I'm going for ground clearance not just looks. And trying to keep it as simple as possible

Jeepin'Jones
08-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah a body lift would complicate things on a XJ I bet

cityslicker
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
what year did they start using a unibody for xjs?

limegreentj
08-18-2009, 04:39 PM
wow...thanks for getting this started jeff...lol

xj's have always been unibody...since they started production in 84...the 83 and lower cherokees were not xj's they were fullsize chero's and they had frames

tjblair
08-18-2009, 05:52 PM
wow...thanks for getting this started jeff...lol

Sorry I had to :115:
you would not believe how many calls I take at the shop from people looking to put a body lift a cherokee. I try not to laugh, but it is really hard not to.

limegreentj
08-18-2009, 06:16 PM
ah man....i'd just start crackin up and tell em...if you gotta ask...you shouldnt be....DO RESEARCH!!! or at least learn a bit about the vehicle you want to modify

Sloth_Fratelli
08-18-2009, 06:49 PM
waaait dosent rustys sell xj body lifts?

Sloth_Fratelli
08-18-2009, 06:52 PM
never mind haha they dont. to ask something off topic even tho the topic is off.... anyway whats the difference between a spring-over lift and the add-a-leaf lift? other than about a hundred bucks

Mykal
08-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Spring over axle lifts are for leaf spring suspensions that are mounted below the axle from factory. It raises the perches to the top of the axle. Cherokees are already spring over axle.

Spring under axle
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3153/1001350co2.jpg

Spring over axle
http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/f/17471487/0904_4wd_08_z%2B1998_jeep_cherokee%2Baxle.jpg

That make sense?

Sloth_Fratelli
08-18-2009, 07:37 PM
i think either im confused or yours right and i dont understand well enough haha. im trying to find the difference between this

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-405AL-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

and this

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=RK-405SP-XJ&Category_Code=sus_xj_kit

reading the spring pack description it seems like what you just said, but with a leaf spring suspension where does the coil spring go?

tjblair
08-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Uh, in the front

limegreentj
08-18-2009, 08:02 PM
lol/\

mount them on the hood

Krod
08-18-2009, 08:32 PM
reading the spring pack description it seems like what you just said, but with a leaf spring suspension where does the coil spring go?

Keeping this :037:

You do not need a lift yet. Get on Jeepforum and just READ. Don't post...just read. You really need to go crawl under your XJ and look at how everything sits stock. Then check out the images of the lifted XJ's, then you'll start to understand where things go, and what they do.

...If you still dont, and insist on having more ground clearance call Jeff (TjBlair) and have him install it for you @ Meridian. I'm sure he'd be willing to show you what everything does, and how to beat it appropriately at one of their trail rides once you're lifted.

limegreentj
08-18-2009, 09:02 PM
matt, thanks for posting exactly what i was thinking but didnt feel like typing....

tjblair
08-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey man everyone starts somewhere. But it is questions like yours that make me:005:. Seriously though by the sounds of it you are no where ready to attempt an install of any sort and have it be a safe reliable vehicle.( not a dig on you ) I suggest, like Krod said leave it the way it is for now or get someone who knows what they are doing to install it for you. Like Krod also said I work For Meridian offroad center, and I have installed many lift kits on all sorts of vehicles. If you are interested in us installing a lift for you your best bet is to stop by the shop and talk to Rob or I. Either of us can steer you in the right direction and tell you what your options will be. I really try not to sell stuff on this site, I don't really even try to drum up buisness for the shop. But in this case, I fear what the end result may be if you were to attempt an install. (again not a dig on you) like I said everyone starts somewhere.:icon_pai:

limegreentj
08-18-2009, 09:16 PM
i agree...and if you cant afford for a shop to do it...make some friends on here and im sure they'd be willing to help/teach.

i've always been fascinated with vehicles...but if i couldnt do the work..i couldnt play...because im too damn cheap to take my stuff to the shop...i learned so i could afford to do other things....and fix it myself when it broke in the woods. Honestly, if you are going to be out in the woods 4 wheeling, you are gonna have to learn to fix stuff, you dont wanna leave your vehicle out in the middle of nowhere over night!

Mykal
08-18-2009, 09:19 PM
The difference is an add a leaf which is one or two leafs that are added to your stock pack to provide the lift. The other one is a full leaf pack which replaces your stock leaf pack entirely. Add a leafs will sag much quicker, which means you will lose your lift as it settles.

Coil springs are up front and leafs are in the back.

I would suggest heading on over to Meridian as well as joining Jeepforum and reading. If you have any questions, we are here to help. If you dont want to have the lift installed by a shop at least buy some beer and pizza and invite some folks that do know what they are doing over to help you out.

Sloth_Fratelli
08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
Haha thanks even tho I look like a total jackass now. Like I said I don't know the first thing about lifts yet and don't even have the jeep yet. BTW thanks for putting me in yer bottom thing matt.

limegreentj
08-18-2009, 11:24 PM
we all like to pick and have fun...but most of us will try to steer ya right...we dont wanna see you get fuct up