PDA

View Full Version : Critique my welds

village_idiot
08-30-2009, 11:28 AM
i was wondering on a scale from 1-10, for a 110v flux core mig, what would you rate each pass? they are #'d 1-4. i would rank them 2,4,3,1; pass 2 the best, pass 1 the worst. i did test them by putting the triangle i welded on in my vise, the putting a 36" crow bar into the square tubing on the end, and it bent up teh metal, but didnt break the welds, the didnt even crack.
sorry for the big assed pictures
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/pabelt/Picture017.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/pabelt/Picture019.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/pabelt/Picture021.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/pabelt/Picture022.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/pabelt/Picture024.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/pabelt/Picture025.jpg

RedRaider
08-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I would say number 4 is the best. Your gun angle looks off, and you have cold lap, probably because you moved too fast, since you seem to have good penetration. For a 90 degree angle weld, I'd suggest holding your gun at 45 degrees with a 15-25 degree travel angle. Since you seem to favor the vertical piece, I would suggest a "c" motion, starting at the bottom. I'm no expert so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

tjblair
08-30-2009, 12:26 PM
You suck, sell the welder. did you have your eyes closed?

tjblair
08-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I would delete this thread before you get seriously flamed.

village_idiot
08-30-2009, 12:41 PM
um, why do they suck? i know there not the best, but i dont see how they suck, are you just saying that because im a prick here on the forum?

justin'sbig7
08-30-2009, 01:03 PM
get a gas bottle and ditch the flux core. looks like you need to slow down a bit as i see a few cold spots. 4 LOOKS the best but, truly, welds can be fugly but stronger than pretty welds. you cant see penetration through the top of the weld.

red raider pretty much sums up what i would suggest

also, since you are welding 1/4 material with a 110v machine (and just in general) you should grind a 45* bevel on the vertical mating piece to aid in weld penetration and add weld surface area.

limegreentj
08-30-2009, 01:27 PM
what kind of welder are you using? the welds dont look pretty but you have decent penetration...considering you are welding 1/4 inch steel. 1/4 inch is really pushin it for any 110v machine, be it flux core or mig. slow down, use a circular motion or a c motion. if you are welding 1/4 inch it wont hurt to pre heat it a good bit so the metal is warmer and softer and your weld "sinks" in a bit more. or like justin said, grind a bevel on it.

limegreentj
08-30-2009, 01:28 PM
and i wouldnt get a gas bottle and ditch the flux core, i'd learn to weld with flux core and make it look good and be strong, then i'd switch to gas...it'll be so much easier. also its cheaper to run straight co2 rather than co2/argon (75-25) and most people wont be able to tell the difference between a mix or straight co2

tjblair
08-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Seriously though keep practicing, alot. All of the advice given so far is good. I like welding with innershield(or flux core) getter than gas. But that is just what I am used to. What wire are you useing? Probably.030. If you plan on welding 1/4in you should probably bump up to .040-.045. And definitly bevel the edges.

village_idiot
08-30-2009, 02:36 PM
and i wouldnt get a gas bottle and ditch the flux core, i'd learn to weld with flux core and make it look good and be strong, then i'd switch to gas...it'll be so much easier. also its cheaper to run straight co2 rather than co2/argon (75-25) and most people wont be able to tell the difference between a mix or straight co2
thats teh plan, after i get decently good with this, im savin up for a hobart 187. im using a lincoln weld-pak HD. i was a gift 2 x-mases ago, and i have just now started messing with it for my own uses, before it was burning 1/8" railings together for neighbors and stuff like that.

village_idiot
08-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Seriously though keep practicing, alot. All of the advice given so far is good. I like welding with innershield(or flux core) getter than gas. But that is just what I am used to. What wire are you useing? Probably.030. If you plan on welding 1/4in you should probably bump up to .040-.045. And definitly bevel the edges.
.35, that the biggest wire i can find. i have it set to around 90 amps, and 75% wire speed.

tjblair
08-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Slow the wire speed. Slower is better

Nothingface5384
08-30-2009, 04:00 PM
looks almost like weld splatter which means youre too far form the puddle..least thats how it is with stick..dont give up, just practice more on youre "work angle" couple of 2 or 3 hours sessions and you should get pretty decent at it

i only used a mig a few times my self..i'm eh...i'm pretty good at stick and oxy though

trailerrails
08-30-2009, 05:27 PM
I am sorry but they all suck, I just gave myself a headache trying to figure out which one was the best.

Someone said you have decent penetration, no you don't, the welds are cold. slow down or turn up the heat.

You need to find some longer pieces of scrap to weld. It is difficult to run short weld like you are doing there. You might want to think about preheating with a torch.

limegreentj
08-30-2009, 06:19 PM

040-045 wire would be way too thick for that machine to melt

thats teh plan, after i get decently good with this, im savin up for a hobart 187. im using a lincoln weld-pak HD. i was a gift 2 x-mases ago, and i have just now started messing with it for my own uses, before it was burning 1/8" railings together for neighbors and stuff like that.

that weld pak hd is really only good for up to 1/8 inch..ive looked at it..practice on some thiner material

I am sorry but they all suck, I just gave myself a headache trying to figure out which one was the best.

Someone said you have decent penetration, no you don't, the welds are cold. slow down or turn up the heat.

You need to find some longer pieces of scrap to weld. It is difficult to run short weld like you are doing there. You might want to think about preheating with a torch.

i said he had decent penetration...for trying to weld 1/4 inch...meaning, at least you could see heat on the other side of the steel. i mean come on, its not great but the kids gotta start somewhere

and also that small lincoln doesnt have a very big duty cycle, so he'd probably pop a fuse...my clarke has a pretty high duty cycle (40% at full) which basically means i can weld 4 mins out of 10 until it starts running cold or pops a breaker.

tjblair
08-30-2009, 06:30 PM
eh, you are prolly right,I wasnt't thinking about the machine. I use .040 or .045 in the hobart 140 at work if I am welding 1/4 or thicker. I think his main problem is he needs to slow the wire speed and his pattern. Even withe that little machine you should be able to lay a decent bead.

limegreentj
08-30-2009, 06:37 PM
you are correct jeff..that hobart 140 will burn 040-045 no problem...but its a 220 volt machine...if he cranks the heat and slows the wire down, and practices his pattern, he'll get there

tjblair
08-30-2009, 06:49 PM
nope it is a 115v and now that I think of it I usueally use .040 for the thicker stuff. I dont think .045 would fit in the machine. But I have welded 1/4 in with .030 wire you just have to take your time, and crank the heat.

this is the machine I have at work
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler140/

john00TJ
08-30-2009, 07:06 PM
i think they all equally suck ,no one is better than the others IMHO ..POOP is POOP ya know

justin'sbig7
08-30-2009, 07:49 PM
heres a good chart for wire sizing, heat ranges etc.

http://www.airgas.com/content/details.aspx?id=7000000000143

another decent link with info for beginners
http://www.migweld.com/Mig-Welding-a/125.htm

i used .023 with a 110 mig for everything up to 1/4", i used the highest setting and kept the speed slow. combined with a bevel and making sure i didnt outrun the puddle it worked well with pretty good penetration. my 110 was rated to 3/16 in a single pass though, it was a higher amperage unit. id have to go look at the amperage rating as i havent used it in a while since i bought my millermatic 212

limegreentj
08-30-2009, 08:20 PM
heres a good chart for wire sizing, heat ranges etc.

http://www.airgas.com/content/details.aspx?id=7000000000143

another decent link with info for beginners
http://www.migweld.com/Mig-Welding-a/125.htm

i used .023 with a 110 mig for everything up to 1/4", i used the highest setting and kept the speed slow. combined with a bevel and making sure i didnt outrun the puddle it worked well with pretty good penetration. my 110 was rated to 3/16 in a single pass though, it was a higher amperage unit. id have to go look at the amperage rating as i havent used it in a while since i bought my millermatic 212

exactly what you said i agree with. mine is rated 3/16 also...crank the heat, adjust the wire speed so you are moving SLOW and still get a good sizzle sound, and practice your technique...i find that either the circular kinda C motion or side to side movement works well for me, penetrates deep (giggity) and i think (most others do too) they look pretty damn good.

aman-fred
08-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Gibson, if you bring your cousin down, I can give you a hand. Seriously practice. And I have noticed I go through more contact tips with my flux-core at home than I do with the 255 and gas at work. Keepin it clean will help

village_idiot
08-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Gibson, if you bring your cousin down, I can give you a hand. Seriously practice. And I have noticed I go through more contact tips with my flux-core at home than I do with the 255 and gas at work. Keepin it clean will help
i clean em up with my dremal about once every 2 or 3 hours of welding

oros35
09-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Cut them cross ways across the welds so you can see what the weld looks like.

They arn't pretty but you gotta start somewhere.

jim91303
09-02-2009, 09:35 PM
ok .... ya ... they all suck! 3 and 4 will work. ditch the flux core and go with bottle gas ... argon gas. turn the heat up if that was as high as it gets ... per heat with tourch. check to see if your welder is capable of 3/8s metal.... do you have the polarity correct for flex core. on a 90 degree weld ... split the angle with the weldin wire ... use the C pattern traveling 1/4'' onto each peice of metal. if needed after that clean weld with grinder and lay 2 more passes overlappin the first one.

hope that helps

gonecheenin
09-02-2009, 09:43 PM
ok .... ya ... they all suck! 3 and 4 will work. ditch the flux core and go with bottle gas ... argon gas. turn the heat up if that was as high as it gets ... per heat with tourch. check to see if your welder is capable of 3/8s metal.... do you have the polarity correct for flex core. on a 90 degree weld ... split the angle with the weldin wire ... use the C pattern traveling 1/4'' onto each peice of metal. if needed after that clean weld with grinder and lay 2 more passes overlappin the first one.

hope that helps

My 110 MIG will make much prettier welds with Gas on thick metal, but the Flux core always penetrates better & lays the bead in stronger.

I can honestly say my welds are normally kinda ugly, but I've never had one fail yet. (But then again I probably over weld things to make up for my lack of skill)

limegreentj
09-02-2009, 09:44 PM
ive never seen a 110v welder capable of 3/8ths metal.....and argon gas is expensive overkill.... http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/welding-gas.htm

tjblair
09-02-2009, 09:45 PM
So long as the polarity is right the flux core is not the problem. Just my opinion but I think welding with a bottle is a little tuffer.

limegreentj
09-02-2009, 09:45 PM
flux core definitely penetrates better than gas...

oldschoolyotaguy
09-04-2009, 03:35 PM
for a 110 mig, .035 is about the biggest size you want to go, go buy a 75/25 bottle, get normal 308 mig wire, .030 size, bevel the plate you weld together, run a little slower to get accustomed to the weld puddle flowing out and melting into both materials, pre-heating will help greatly on thicker material, and it doesnt necessarily make the metal "softer", it just bring the metal closer to its melting point, thus making the machine do less work heating up the base material to get a puddle going.... and pre-heating can also prevent shock cracking (which is caused from a 6000 degree welding arc on a cold plate, and then the rest of the material sucking the heat out of the weld zone, which is basically like quenching, badddd!!!.... but dont worry about that till the metal temperatures below about 50 degrees).....

any other questions, feel free to pm me... im slightly over-educated in this field

Barillms
09-17-2009, 01:31 AM
I weld great with a Hobart 140, with .035 Flux Core.
Those welds definatly dont' look very good.

Try whipping the tip in a back and forth C motion...
CCCCCCCCCC like this. Make a C an weave back and forth
spanning across the steel junction being welded. I use this technique
and I pull the weld at a 45 degree angle usually.

Move slowly, watch the puddle and allow it to burn in and penetrate.
Having the tip at the right angle is very important...
Having your settings adjusted the right way will make all the difference.

I weld on the hottest setting "4", and my wire speed is usually
set on 30-32 to weld most 1/4" steel.

Clean the surface of the steel and start practiciing!

limegreentj
09-17-2009, 09:56 AM
i forgot to mention...make sure the gap between the 2 pieces of steel you are welding is around a 1/16th of an an inch...when the 2 pieces are super tight together the weld doesnt burn down into the steel as well

aman-fred
09-17-2009, 05:28 PM
It looks like there is too much moisture in the air.. I am trying a new set up using propane. it seems to be working well in conjunction with the flux core. I am using a hose straight from the gas grill and just setting it near where I am welding. It pulls any moisture from the air. The flux core can then do its job creating an "ozone layer" around your new puddle.

Just kidding. Next week I should have a free evening if you want to glue something together. I am no pro, but do have a cert and get paid to waste welding wire.

limegreentj
09-17-2009, 05:51 PM
lol im so glad you put just kidding ....maybe add...YOU SHOULD NEVER DO THIS!!! because someone might try it...lol

tjblair
09-17-2009, 05:57 PM
If you are stupid enough to try that, i'd just chalk that up to thinning the heard.

Sycotik Skier
09-17-2009, 06:03 PM
darwin award winner

limegreentj
09-17-2009, 06:08 PM
If you are stupid enough to try that, i'd just chalk that up to thinning the heard.

i agree...but im sure someone somewhere is dumb enough to try it...boy that would be AWESOME TO SEE!!!!

pittim
09-18-2009, 12:00 AM
whats wrong with explosive gas right next to an open flame??

:D

RalphDogg
10-08-2009, 09:06 PM
if you are interested in learning to weld try taking a night class. i don't think this post will help you lay a better bead. your welds aren't bad for a beginner.

RalphDogg
10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
and flux core may penetrate more and burn hotter, but a gas and wire weld is MUCH stronger.

yotaneck13
02-02-2012, 08:30 PM
i say keep the flux core and buy a bottle of 100% co2 and run dual shield it burns hotter

village_idiot
02-02-2012, 08:46 PM
i dont even own a welder anymore...

yotaneck13
02-04-2012, 12:46 PM
guess some one should have looked at the date. this forum doesnt get much activity at all :smack: NEWB

Frank
02-08-2012, 01:37 PM
guess some one should have looked at the date. this forum doesnt get much activity at all :smack: NEWB

probrobly better that way anyhoo Yota neck,