PDA

View Full Version : It's a start

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
started messing with my harbor freight bender today...i know its not ideal but as i stated before, im a cheap ass, and dont mind the extra work to make some stuff, especially if its cheaper in price. anyway, this winter i plan to make some fenders, and some bumpers and stuff and ive been doing research about HF benders and how to improve them....90% of the people said dont waste your time because it wont even bend 90 degrees...i said bullshit...lol. i modded mine today and i bent this stinger today just practicing, the time it took to fill with sand and finish the bend was about 4 minutes...i started with the roller furthest out and worked my way in...got to the 4th set of holes, this stinger is bent 130 degrees (65 on each side) no denting, except where i forgot to smooth out the one die (i smoothed it and that fixed it) all in all i think it turned out damn good, and i wouldnt mind bending all my stuff with this...i paid 40 bucks for the bender with all except the 2 smallest dies...and i ordered the 2 smallest dies from HF warehouse, each one was $3.99 lol. http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb131/limegreentj/Mobile%20Uploads/downsized_0901091844.jpgi think im happy...lol

ridgerunner97
09-01-2009, 08:10 PM
This pay dude i'm feelin the slider project to start. You goin to use ur bender to do the tube for em? Also my buddy with a dmax was wondering if you could make him bumpers?

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 08:16 PM
yes and yes...lol...yeah i've been practicing with it and with no mods it'll bend a 45 degree without denting or kinking....after mods it seriously ought do at least 160 degrees lol

ridgerunner97
09-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Sweet! You free any time this wkend? Actually we're makin a run down connellsville on monday if you were inclined to tagalong i could get you some cash, plus you could wheel the tj.

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 08:25 PM
buildin stuff this saturday and sunday is wife time...monday not sure, maybe helping tjblair....

ridgerunner97
09-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Ite sumtime saturday if it wouldn't be a problem maybe i'll run up and give you the funds to kick this off. Depends what my dad is doin, trying to help him get stuff done so he can ride along on monday, if he doesn't need my help to get done, then either i'm runnin up ohiopyle for the run up there in the day, and maybe come up your place in the evening, lots of miles on my beast but its worth it haha.

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 08:34 PM
yeah thats fine...if you want to meet me in monroeville or whatever that would be alright...whatever you wanna do

Mykal
09-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Heres a few things the locals here have done with their HF benders.

Pipe Sched 40
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l306/daisiesinbloom/Josh%20Jeep%20Images/100_8961.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l306/daisiesinbloom/Josh%20Jeep%20Images/100_8891.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/wake-rider-25/truggy009.jpg

I think they actually do really well.

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 08:44 PM
holy hell!!! thats amazing...its hard to find pics of what people do with these things...i think they are kinda scared to post in fear of getting flamed...just like any tool...if you learn the proper way to use it, it really does a good job...any more pics?

Mykal
09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/wake-rider-25/Picture088.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/wake-rider-25/Picture084.jpg

Thats it.

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 08:50 PM
wow...thats some good stuff! hopefully i'll get that good...i can just kinda do basic bends right now, the hardest stuff i'll have to bend soon is the flare for my tube fenders...it sucks cuz it costs money to practice and i dont wanna screw it up...lol

send my compliments to those benders!

justin'sbig7
09-01-2009, 09:42 PM
brandon, what type/size tube are you using? honestly, hrew (not sched 40) is okay for straight supports and braces, but main structural stuff really ought to be DOM. those cages look sweet! but schedule 40 is gas pipe and really ought to be used for gas pipe. not flaming anyone, not knockin anything, but it truly is a safety issue. not mine personally, but i would hate to see anyone get hurt over schedule 40.

Mykal
09-01-2009, 09:45 PM
The toyota isnt sc 40. I believe its DOM. I cant remember for sure but Im almost positive it is. I understand what your saying. I was just showing what some people locally have done with it. Material wise I would agree with you.

Krod
09-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Looks like you've got the hang of it nicely Brandon!

I agree about the cage made of SCH40, but bumpers/sliders etc...are just FINE with pipe. :025:

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 09:47 PM
no no you are exactly correct... i dont plan on building any cages with pipe...but ill build tube fenders and bumpers and sliders with pipe because it doesnt have to withstand a roll over... but to answer your question i am using schedule 40 pipe for all the bumpers and fenders and sliders, if i decide to do any cage work with my pipe bender i'd have to mod the dies so they fit the TUBE tight...

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 09:49 PM
i saw in 4wd hardware that ARB actually builds sliders out of 1.25" schedule 40 pipe.

but yeah i wouldnt trust pipe in a rollover...lol

aman-fred
09-01-2009, 09:54 PM
I may have to stop out on the way to camp on the kiski and have you do a lil stinger for me! lol what you doing this week? I am laid off!

tjblair
09-01-2009, 09:58 PM
My front tube fenders are poison spiders they are Dom and take a hell of a beating infact I've yet to hurt them. Now my rear crushers are made by t&t and I believe the flair on them is sc 40 and the first good shot I gave them the tube dented.

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
lol so am i...starting my rocker guards for my jeep andanyoneelsethatwantsthem (shameless plug) and thats about it...stop over if you want....let me know if you want me to build ya one so i can get the material and stuff.

village_idiot
09-01-2009, 10:02 PM
when i get the blazer legal, ill take some sliders

justin'sbig7
09-01-2009, 10:03 PM
for non structural stuff i would have no problem using sched 40, i agree there.... i would at least make sure it was spec'd with an idustrial grade (a106), not the un spec'd chinese crap from the homo depo

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 10:05 PM
i agree justin, i get all my steel from a steel supplier right down in town www.metcosupply.com (http://www.metcosupply.com) they always have good stuff

tjblair
09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't disagre, I'm just saying that sc40 will dent if it takes a decent shot.

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 10:09 PM
yes but so will DOM..if it is hit hard enough at the right angle

tjblair
09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Agreed

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
lol...

justin'sbig7
09-01-2009, 10:17 PM
pipe is heavier, it also has a tendency to split and shatter. but there are lots of people who have rolled with a pipe cage and walked away without a scratch.

pipe is also designed to carry internal pressure and is not a consistent thickness throughout.

sorry to hijack, glad you like your new purchase! looks like it will pay for itself this weekend lol!

justin'sbig7
09-01-2009, 10:20 PM
another not well known fact about dom, it is actually an electrically welded rolled tube as well, but it is then Drawn Over a Mandrel to bring it to a consistent size and has more QC on it thus making it possible to bend without defects no matter where the seam is in relation to the bend

tjblair
09-01-2009, 10:21 PM
But I have yet to bend or dent my fronts which are dom.

Also brandon, when I do put a stinger on my heep I would want it to be dom. It would kind of suck if you were about to endo the jeep and think you are good because you have the stinger only to watch it crumple on to your hood and you endo any way. I guess what I am getting at is IMO a stinger is structual.

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 10:25 PM
i understand...i'll probably get a little bit of dom and fill it with sand and see what kinda job it does....because like i said before, as of right now i cant justify a tube bender for 700 bucks

justin'sbig7
09-01-2009, 10:52 PM
i understand...i'll probably get a little bit of dom and fill it with sand and see what kinda job it does....because like i said before, as of right now i cant justify a tube bender for 700 bucks

its a big expense, and not worth it if you are going to be doing some small odd jobs. the reason i bought mine was with the intent on starting a small multipurpose/ 4x4 fab shop if need be (may be unemployed soon by the way theyre talkin and cant decide on starting a one man electrical co. or fab shop) and so i did it all while i had the cash to.

youre on the right track and doing some nice work with it. a little time and patience and you will have it down to an art.... do work son!:icon_super:

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 11:01 PM
its a big expense, and not worth it if you are going to be doing some small odd jobs. the reason i bought mine was with the intent on starting a small multipurpose/ 4x4 fab shop if need be (may be unemployed soon by the way theyre talkin and cant decide on starting a one man electrical co. or fab shop) and so i did it all while i had the cash to.

youre on the right track and doing some nice work with it. a little time and patience and you will have it down to an art.... do work son!:icon_super:

to be honest, thats kinda what im hoping to do, tired of workin for people making dog shit, and im un employed too...

limegreentj
09-01-2009, 11:18 PM
anyone know the easiest way to angle cut tube/pipe? i have a notcher for joints and stuff...but say for that stinger if i wanna cut it for 65 degrees, what would be the easiest way to mark it and cut it? justin, how do you do it? anything special?

justin'sbig7
09-02-2009, 04:02 PM
i have a dewalt compound miter saw i use works great with angled cuts and whatnot... or i have a metal cutting bandsaw for more intricate stuff

Krod
09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Chop Saw :038:

limegreentj
09-02-2009, 05:18 PM
yeah all i have is a miter saw/chop saw right now, it cuts up to 45 degree angle...it would be nice if it cut more, for cutting the angle on my stinger and stuff

aman-fred
09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
I built winch guard for my old tj. I had a black and decker work bench the was split in the middle for clamping purposes. I set the tube in the middle, laid it over until I had the desired angle and just ran a sharpie around it. Wacked it with a cut off wheel.:lame:

limegreentj
09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
yeah that would work too i guess...like i said, i have a notcher for joining 2 tubes, but im just tryin to figure out how to cut angles easily in tube...thanks

jackb1
09-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I use a 4.5" angle grinder for sharp degree cuts. Unless you want to pick up a bandsaw or build a custome jig for your chop saw to do more than 65 degrees, it is the best options I've found.

limegreentj
09-03-2009, 10:37 AM
ive been lookin at a portable bandsaw for now, and then later on down the road either build a stand for it or buy a horizontal/vertical saw. what do you use to mark the angles?

Krod
09-03-2009, 05:52 PM
ive been lookin at a portable bandsaw for now, and then later on down the road either build a stand for it or buy a horizontal/vertical saw. what do you use to mark the angles?

Get a portaband and this:
http://www.swagoffroad.com/Porta_band_Product.html

aman-fred
10-01-2009, 10:00 PM
How tight an you do a 90*?

RalphDogg
10-08-2009, 08:58 PM
the pipe is much softer than hrew or dom. a pipe cage is better than no cage or a stock 1/16" factory roll bar.

limegreentj
10-08-2009, 09:04 PM
i might feel comfortable adding pipe to the factory roll bar, i would be fine with using pipe in a vehicle that doesnt "need" a cage

rudytj
10-09-2009, 10:47 AM
anyone know the easiest way to angle cut tube/pipe? i have a notcher for joints and stuff...but say for that stinger if i wanna cut it for 65 degrees, what would be the easiest way to mark it and cut it? justin, how do you do it? anything special?

a little late but thougt i would post anyhow...

http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi

rudytj