PDA

View Full Version : Need someone to fab something for me

pittim
09-02-2009, 10:24 PM
I need a flat piece of metal..2" by about 58".

I need to put a piece of velco on it, so I need the outside edge to be flat. I figure drill a hole wide enough for a bolt head to fit in, then weld the bolt in place....Only needs to go thru my bed, so the bolt can be like an inch long.

Figure the piece of metal should be able the same width as the bolt head to make it easy.

Anybody out there willing to fab it up for me?

limegreentj
09-02-2009, 10:32 PM
i can do it. pm me about it if yo uwant me to.

joshs1ofakindxj
09-02-2009, 10:40 PM
ok haha, what the hell is it for

pittim
09-02-2009, 10:55 PM
ok haha, what the hell is it for
I have a Bestop supertop for my truck. It mounts on the front with a piece of velco.

I also have a spray in bedliner. Velcro doesn't stick to the bedliner very good...at all. So I figure I'd just mount a peice of metal where velcro is supposed to be, then mount the velcro on that metal.

limegreentj
09-02-2009, 11:02 PM
how thick of metal you lookin to make this out of?

pittim
09-02-2009, 11:05 PM
how thick of metal you lookin to make this out of?
1/8" would work fine. I just want a smooth surface to mount a piece of velcro on. The velcro worked alright on the bedliner, it just keeps peeling off.

pittim
09-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Brandon, PM incoming.

hyperbuzzin
09-03-2009, 08:13 AM
A strip of plastic might hold the velcro better than a strip of steel.
But if you're intent on using steel, maybe getting the sew-on type Velcro and using contact cement will hold better.

BAD_GNR
09-03-2009, 08:23 AM
A strip of plastic might hold the velcro better than a strip of steel.
But if you're intent on using steel, maybe getting the sew-on type Velcro and using contact cement will hold better.

x2. Consider getting a piece of Azek at Homie Depot, it's PVC trim used for exterior applications. Comes in stock lumber sizes, cut & drill with traditional woodworking tools. Get a 1x3 (or 4). Much easier to work with, would adhere to the velcro better and no rust factor.

pittim
09-03-2009, 10:35 AM
I want something that is completely flat on one edge and has bolts sticking out on the other side, so metal is what i need to do. if i used plastic i'd have to countersink the holes where the bolts would go, so it'd have to be fairly thick plastic. i want something as thin as possible.

not worried about rust because it wont be exposed very much (if at all) it'll be under my supertop unless i decide to remove the entire thing.

you guys saying plastic due to the fact that the velcro adhesive would stick better to it compared to metal?

limegreentj
09-03-2009, 10:38 AM
it'll stick to metal, just make sure you use a good adhesive

hyperbuzzin
09-03-2009, 10:57 AM
you guys saying plastic due to the fact that the velcro adhesive would stick better to it compared to metal?

I would think with plastic being much smoother, yes, it would stick better.
but like I said....

But if you're intent on using steel, maybe getting the sew-on type Velcro (with no adhesive already on it) and using contact cement will hold better.

pittim
09-07-2009, 01:58 AM
Met up with limegreentj on sat...for any of you that don't know him he's an awesome guy.

He made the part the way I thought would work...and it didn't. I overlooked one small detail...he quickly thought up of a way to make it work. I've yet to mount it due to being busy with work, but I'm positive that it will work out better than I had planned.

Thanks again man. I'll get pics up of the final outcome whenever I get it on there.

limegreentj
09-15-2009, 10:34 AM
thanks for the kind words tim! glad i could help ya out! you ever get that top on?