PDA

View Full Version : Something real this time-XJ fix-up help

Sloth_Fratelli
09-03-2009, 08:24 PM
so ive been looking for a long ass time for a 5 speed xj and i finally found one im thinkin about gettin, but it needs fixed up pretty bad. the shop i had look at it (hartmanns in cranberry township, couldnt reccomend em igh enough) said they could probably fix it all fot 1000-1200, give or take depending on what other troubles they run into. this isnt a change-your-blinker-fluid shop and i have enought knowledge to know when im getting duped. im just wondering if anybody would be willing to lend a hand on fixing it up so i could 1-save alot of $$ and 2-actually learn whats going on so i can fix it if any of this goes wrong again. heres the list of problems they gave me-

AC not working(i dont really need it, but they guy selling it said the owner before him pinched a hose or something shut because its better for the engine???)

Battery terminals corroded

exhaust leak in front of cat

pulsation in front breaks (said it wasnt too big of a deal)

front diff. pinion leaking

valve cover gasket leaks(poss. rear main)

right front shock leaking

holes in floor(i can pop rivit some sheet metal over em but if somebody could do some welds id appreciate it)

right rear axle seal starting to leak

also after we went to the shop i tried out 4HI and it made a banging noise when i turned and after i took it back they said the universal joint or something was bad

i'm not looking for someone to do all this for me, just some help would be greatly appreciated as i dont know much about cars. id be glad to kick anybody that could help some cash or a case, whatever you want. any tips/suggestions/help is MEGA appreciated, thanks! :biggrin:

Krod
09-03-2009, 08:38 PM
heres the list of problems they gave me-

AC not working(i dont really need it, but they guy selling it said the owner before him pinched a hose or something shut because its better for the engine???) Ditch it if you don't plan on using it.

Battery terminals corroded Replace 'em (easy)

exhaust leak in front of cat Pay someone (exhaust leaks/work in general sucks)

pulsation in front breaks (said it wasnt too big of a deal) Probably warped rotors, replace 'em and do the pads while you're in there (cheap enough)

front diff. pinion leaking Replace

valve cover gasket leaks(poss. rear main) OR its the head gasket. Much more $$$ and time involved than a valve cover gasket.

right front shock leaking Replace 'em with some cheap NAPA's, or buy a set of used quality shocks from the boards.

holes in floor(i can pop rivit some sheet metal over em but if somebody could do some welds id appreciate it) How Bad??? Remember its a unibody...

right rear axle seal starting to leak Replace it (cheap, but takes some time)

also after we went to the shop i tried out 4HI and it made a banging noise when i turned and after i took it back they said the universal joint or something was bad Probably universals

How much are they asking for the vehicle to begin with???
All of those things would be SERIOUS bargaining ground.

XJchris98
09-03-2009, 08:59 PM
How much are they asking for the vehicle to begin with???
All of those things would be SERIOUS bargaining ground.

^^ I agree with matt.

Although none of those problems are really all that difficult to fix/replace, small stuff adds up quickly. Are you looking to get something to use as a daily driver/weekend wheeler, or just a trail beater?

Personally if the floors are rotted out to begin with, id look for something else. Rust on XJ's is a death certificate...and chances are if the floors are rotted out, theres rust in other places as well. I'll tell you now, its going to be hard to find a used 5spd XJ in GOOD condition. Most of the people that have the 5spd's hang onto them until they literally stop running or just simply rust apart.

I've seen alot of really nice 97 and newer XJ's for sale for less than $3000. Sure they might not be a stick, but the auto's in the XJ's are damn near bulletproof.

BUT...if you decide to buy it, I have a nice set of Old Man Emu shocks up for sale. $75 and their yours :039:

limegreentj
09-03-2009, 10:36 PM
i agree with both...and they are all easy fixes!

limegreentj
09-03-2009, 10:43 PM
you can rent my mech pit for 10 bucks an hour to fix your exhaust

limegreentj
09-03-2009, 10:46 PM
the neighbor girl has a newer 2 door xj i dunno if its a 5 speed or not, its lifted and green with mickey t's and bfg all terrains, like 32's....that is all

Sycotik Skier
09-03-2009, 11:27 PM
she cute?

Sloth_Fratelli
09-04-2009, 12:02 AM
He wanted 2300 before I saw what was wrong and now it's down to 1100. The dude is like 18 and he just wanted a sporty car I guess that's why he's selling... and there aren't too many holes just here and there. I'd pass this car up but I'm really looking for the standard trans. and I don't think the cost to switch an auto to standard would be anywhere near what I'm gonna have to pay in repairs. Also the sale isn't final yet

limegreentj
09-04-2009, 12:32 AM
He wanted 2300 before I saw what was wrong and now it's down to 1100. The dude is like 18 and he just wanted a sporty car I guess that's why he's selling... and there aren't too many holes just here and there. I'd pass this car up but I'm really looking for the standard trans. and I don't think the cost to switch an auto to standard would be anywhere near what I'm gonna have to pay in repairs. Also the sale isn't final yet

yeah if its not your "only" vehicle, take your time and do the work yourself/with friends you'll learn a lot that will help you for years to come! :thumbsup:

Deadman 94 xj
09-04-2009, 09:54 AM

Stay away! Trust me. I agree with what Chris wrote above and having been there my self, an XJ can be a real penny pincher when they start to go. The little stuff will keep you busy for as long as you own it. Look for something else.

Also, if you were to buy it, I wouldn't pay more than $300 for that, if that.

joshs1ofakindxj
09-04-2009, 11:01 AM
Hold out and buy something without rust. Trust me. This is how I fix rusty unibodies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJfsQ9FGPQI

Sloth_Fratelli
09-06-2009, 01:16 AM
never mind, the guy blew me off. beware of a guy in meadville selling a XJ 5-speed, he seemed like a nice guy but i think hes just trying to get more out of it from somebody who dosent know better. he stopped answering my calls and texts

xjmudder
09-06-2009, 09:58 PM
so ive been looking for a long ass time for a 5 speed xj and i finally found one im thinkin about gettin, but it needs fixed up pretty bad. the shop i had look at it (hartmanns in cranberry township, couldnt reccomend em igh enough) said they could probably fix it all fot 1000-1200, give or take depending on what other troubles they run into. this isnt a change-your-blinker-fluid shop and i have enought knowledge to know when im getting duped. im just wondering if anybody would be willing to lend a hand on fixing it up so i could 1-save alot of $$ and 2-actually learn whats going on so i can fix it if any of this goes wrong again. heres the list of problems they gave me-

AC not working(i dont really need it, but they guy selling it said the owner before him pinched a hose or something shut because its better for the engine???)

Battery terminals corroded

exhaust leak in front of cat

pulsation in front breaks (said it wasnt too big of a deal)

front diff. pinion leaking

valve cover gasket leaks(poss. rear main)

right front shock leaking

holes in floor(i can pop rivit some sheet metal over em but if somebody could do some welds id appreciate it)

right rear axle seal starting to leak

also after we went to the shop i tried out 4HI and it made a banging noise when i turned and after i took it back they said the universal joint or something was bad

i'm not looking for someone to do all this for me, just some help would be greatly appreciated as i dont know much about cars. id be glad to kick anybody that could help some cash or a case, whatever you want. any tips/suggestions/help is MEGA appreciated, thanks! :biggrin:

Is there a lift on it? I have a set of shocks(RCX OffRoad) I just took off my XJ. They will fit a 1.5 - 2inch Lift. They a brand new. I just put a 5" rough country lift on so I have the extra shocks. Its a start. let me know I can give them to you cheap.

xjmudder
09-06-2009, 10:00 PM
It does sound like your getting into a big headache. hold out. You can pick up a nice xj for a reasonable price if you look hard enough.