PDA

View Full Version : Installed side-steps and ...

JAgostoni
09-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Over the weekend I installed some Rampage nerf bars (for looks and low cost, mainly) but when I went to remove the body bolts (near the front) I ran into the good-ole' "this sh** is REALLY rusted on good" syndrome.

So, I doused the bolts in some PB Blaster and tried again ... I got one bolt out (Yippee!) but the other just continued to shread until it was practically round (grrr). So, I tried a couple bolt extraction options and couldn't get anything to work. I didn't have a drill strong enough to make a damn dent in the bolt. Yeah ... the outside of the bolt was rusted enough to strip but the center was harnded to hell.

Anyway ... I had picked up what "allegedly" was a set of hardened bolts to replace the ones I was removing. I replaced the one bolt I actually got out just to twist the head straight off the "new" bolt. Turns out that was the one out of the four that wasn't a grade-5 bolt ... lucky me.

Now I have one completely stripped, rusted-on bolt and one cheap-o bolt suck in without a head on it. Time to get the pro to help me out. Being that it was Saturday before Labor Day I had quite a bit of trouble finding someone open that would take my pity case.

Well ... I managed to find and extremely helpful body chop guy in Ingomar that spent 1.5 hours trying to get the bolts out and ended up just grinding down the head, drilling out and re-tapping. Makes me feel vindicated (somewhat) in that he had trouble with them too ;)

After that ... the guy barely charged me anything so if anyone is ever looking for someone up north of Pittsburgh for some body work I will fully recommend this guy. PM if you are ever interested.

Lessons learned?

Dude ... just get an impact wrench already
ALWAYS check the bolts before you buy them ... nearly every time I go to buy bolts there is something mixed in that shouldn't be
Going to a body shop on a Saturday seems to be the best time to get a deal :thumbsup:
Time to get a bigger drill
The side steps weren't really worth THIS much trouble ... once I destroy them I'll go for some armor instead

<INPUT id=foxmarks.prefs value=MACHINEID=ki9j8s;NUM_TO_SHOW=3 type=hidden>

limegreentj
09-08-2009, 01:42 PM
i dunno what kinda vehicle you have, but you shoulda just called me and i woulda built you whatever you wanted, most likely cheaper than you'd ever find...lol

JAgostoni
09-08-2009, 01:48 PM
i dunno what kinda vehicle you have, but you shoulda just called me and i woulda built you whatever you wanted, most likely cheaper than you'd ever find...lol

I am sure you are right (1998 Jeep Wrangler, btw) ... it didn't even ocurr to check here for someone to fab something. In any regard ... they are on now and I put some red threadlocker in the newly-tapped holes so that I wouldn't have to over-crank the bolts.

limegreentj
09-08-2009, 01:55 PM
well im glad that you got them on anyway..lol...better luck next time. post pics!

JAgostoni
09-08-2009, 02:01 PM
well im glad that you got them on anyway..lol...better luck next time. post pics!

Haha ... yeah ... well, the bolts are all new now so (short of the threadlocker) they should come right out ... haha.

I am awaiting fogs lights, a brush guard and a new top (sailcloth) so I'll toss up some pics when all is done.

limegreentj
09-08-2009, 05:35 PM
i was just goin down the road today thinkin about how much i missed my sailcloth top.... :( it got trashed when the sis rolled it over

JAgostoni
09-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I can't wait ... I used a sound meter app on my iPhone to measure the sound level going down the highway with my old-n-busted top ... I'll repeat with the sailcloth to see for sure what the difference is.