PDA

View Full Version : Got a plasma cutter

justin'sbig7
10-01-2009, 08:42 PM
i picked up a plasma cutter last week.... hooked it up tonight, i wish i woulda had one a long time ago, it is friggin sweet!

this is 3/16" steel
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/justinsbig7/fabrication/001-Copy9.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/justinsbig7/fabrication/005-Copy6.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/justinsbig7/fabrication/007-Copy4.jpg

and my camera is apparently acting goofy http://www.hrja.org/forums/images/smilies/dry.gif

tjblair
10-01-2009, 08:47 PM
What machine did you get?

justin'sbig7
10-01-2009, 09:26 PM
lol! i hate to say it, but it is a harbor freight 220v 36a machine. the guy bought it a few years back and never even opened it up. normally i wouldnt get equipment like this as i am a firm believer in buying a good name from a local dealer to ensure parts/repair availability. but for what i paid for it i figured if i get two good projects out of it i paid for it... :biggrin:

its the older version of this one.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95136

hopefully it will last till i can afford a big miller unit. :unibrow:

tjblair
10-01-2009, 09:32 PM
We have a small hypertherm at work. It works pretty well. I have cut up to 1/2 in with it. (definitly had to go slow though) I have been looking into the longevity plasma cutter. But like you I'm a little leary of off brands.

Krod
10-01-2009, 09:51 PM
I have been looking into the longevity plasma cutter. But like you I'm a little leary of off brands.

Get one. You won't be disappointed :045:

tjblair
10-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Get one. You won't be disappointed :045:

I have read some good things about them. And you can't beat the price.

koenig
10-02-2009, 12:29 AM
I have the longevity 40amp model. I like it. Price is good and so is the warranty it carries. On their site you can submit an offer instead of paying full price. I offered $350 and it was accepted.

koenig
10-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Once you use a plasma cutter you will wonder how you ever lived without it.

Peccavi18
10-02-2009, 01:26 AM
I had never seriously considered a plasma because of the price and my pos crapsman air compressor. But since I see price is a null point on the longevity's, are any of you running a 220 cutter on a smaller/ under powered. Compressor? I know I need to upgrade but since I only use it for the impact and to fill tires its not high on the list.

DeathBlade556
10-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I run my Cut40D on 220 with a 220v 15gallon craftsman I would like to upgrade to a 30 gallon compressor but the 15 works if I'm just cutting small things say 8"x8" of 1/4" with sheet metal say 10 or 12 gauge I can dial down the air pressure and cut alot more.

A note all the Cut40 series plasma cutter regaurdless of brand (giant, longevity, lotos, parker, etc) are all copies of a ESAB Handyplasm 550 (you can use the consumables for a PT-31 torch if you run out and are in a pinch)

CESCO
10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Nice buy... they are awesome to have. I would not want to fab with out one. I have been looking at a CNC table and am seriously considering pulling the trigger.

justin'sbig7
10-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Nice buy... they are awesome to have. I would not want to fab with out one. I have been looking at a CNC table and am seriously considering pulling the trigger.

i am a few years from one of those... and a bigger building. but that would be the cats ass

Krod
10-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I had never seriously considered a plasma because of the price and my pos crapsman air compressor. But since I see price is a null point on the longevity's, are any of you running a 220 cutter on a smaller/ under powered. Compressor? I know I need to upgrade but since I only use it for the impact and to fill tires its not high on the list.

I run mine on 220 with my loud-ass oil-less Craftsman 33 gallon compressor too. The Compressor will struggle to keep up when you have a lot of distance to cover on 1/4" or thicker material, 3/16th or thinner and you're fine.

Eventually my plan is to stop using the smaller compressor and plumb the 33 gal tank inline with a larger 80 gallon 2 stage just for the extra capacity. But until then, the 33 gallon gets it done. Just give yourself time to cut if you're doing alot of thicker stuff (probably should anyway to keep within the duty cycle of the cutter)

Peccavi18
10-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Matt thanks for the info, What brand model are you running? I have the 33gal vertical oil-less Craftsman as well. After using Steve and Dave's set up down at the garage, I never figured the craftsman would be enough, but loved the functionality of the plasma. What kind of air drier/s are you guys running? Anything special? I know my parents garage is partially underground so it's damp and the compressor throws out a ton of water. Looks like I have to searching to do for a future toy to add to the collection.

trailerrails
10-02-2009, 06:39 PM
I have the longevity 40amp model. I like it. Price is good and so is the warranty it carries. On their site you can submit an offer instead of paying full price. I offered $350 and it was accepted.

Where do you submit an offer on their site?

koenig
10-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I just checked their site and the submit offer is no longer available. I guess it was a promotional thing. Glad I ordered when I did. Maybe email the company and enquire about it. They may still honor it if you ask.

RedRaider
10-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I have the same longevity cut40d and love it. I figured if it's got a 5yr parts and labor warranty for only $400 shipped, then it's worth it. I can confirm their customer service is helpful and very willing to fix any problem and make the customer happy, so if it breaks, I don't think there'll be a problem getting it fixed or replaced.

Peccavi18
10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
if you click on a model on the longevity site, it's right below the price to submit an offer.