PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec

jlovbasz3
10-06-2009, 03:23 AM
Just wander if anybody has a Kel-Tec and what they think of them?
I traded a Sony PSP for a Kel Tec PF9 9mm seven shot in silver&black that was only shot twice.

jlovbasz3
10-06-2009, 04:05 AM
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/jlovasz3/001-2.jpg
Taurus pt 111 on left Kel-Tec on the right

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/jlovasz3/002-1.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/jlovasz3/003-2.jpg

I just got it today haven't got to try it out yet.I was thinking about getting a 380 to have something with a smaller frame to carry in the summer months but didn't want to go smaller than the 9mm.So it worked out that i found this ,just hope it turns out to be a good side arm. He also threw in a cleaning kit, leather holster,and a box of hydro shocks.

mudforblood
10-06-2009, 06:45 AM
I have had a PF9 for a few years now. I got it for it's small size for carrying and still be a 9mm. There's a few versions of PF9's I guess and some of the earlier ones had some issues. I can't remember what the issues were but I have not had any major problems.

Make sure that whatever ammo you are going to carry in it that you shoot some through the gun first. I notice some won't run through it smoothly after the first shot or two, especially hollow points. That kinda sucks because that's what I would prefer to carry.

Also I'm not as accurate with it as other pistols. Since it is small and light it seems to jump around some but still hits the target, which could be operator error.:036: It also starts to sting my hand after shooting it for awhile but that's not really what it's designed for.

Overall I like it for the price and size. That's my 2 cents.

village_idiot
10-06-2009, 06:46 AM
looks like a cool gun. that, a berssa, and a mauser .25 are on the list of guns i want to buy

Super Scout
10-06-2009, 08:05 AM
I have that gun too. Nice gun Use Corbin hollow points they are a little shorter than the competition and wont jam. I used federal and the thing did nothing but jam played with ammo and corbin was the ticket. Well made gun I would say more reliable than a taurus. Mine hangs out by my side in the truck 24/7. Hell of good deal you go to with the playstation.

EddyB
10-06-2009, 09:15 AM
looks like a cool gun. that, a berssa, and a mauser .25 are on the list of guns i want to buy

A mini van and a yugo are on my list of cars I want. If you are going to aspire to own something try and make it so it's not a piece of shit.

I have seen to many Kel-Tecs FTF and FTE to ever buy one or carry one.

I have heard that they are better now and they are fairly cheap, but I think that you would be better off with a J frame or something similar for lightweight carry.

I don't know what a PSP is worth, but the PF-9 blue books for $215 at 98%.

2002wranglerX
10-07-2009, 12:28 PM
A mini van and a yugo are on my list of cars I want. If you are going to aspire to own something try and make it so it's not a piece of shit.

I have seen to many Kel-Tecs FTF and FTE to ever buy one or carry one.

I have heard that they are better now and they are fairly cheap, but I think that you would be better off with a J frame or something similar for lightweight carry.

I don't know what a PSP is worth, but the PF-9 blue books for $215 at 98%.

i was like WTF, what kind of list is that to shoot for!

My bersa has been mr. reliable. it was so dirty we had trouble getting it apart (when i first got it from my sister, she never cleaned it in 2 years of shooting it). the thing never jammed, stovepiped, or misfed and it was NASTY dirty. plus it is accurate as hell. but i wouldn't aspire to one day own one :D

EddyB
10-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Sarcasm doesn't transfer well over the interweb.

2002wranglerX
10-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Sarcasm doesn't transfer well over the interweb.

no it does, i just suck at posting. I was agreeing with you. you beat me to the punch on the sarcastic reply lol.

Bill
10-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I have a P11 (9mm) that shots nice. Its small and easy to conceal.

DMG
10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Those Keltecs will run fine after a break-in and possibly a trip back to the factory. The warranty is great, the gun is ok. Most people have a hard time hitting the target witht them because they have a trigger pull like a staple gun.

jlovbasz3
10-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the info.Maybe i'll try to shoot it this weekend.i figured the trigger pull was going to be very heavy to make up for the lack of the safety.

village_idiot
10-08-2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the info.Maybe i'll try to shoot it this weekend.i figured the trigger pull was going to be very heavy to make up for the lack of the safety.
thats always a good thing, lol

Super Scout
10-08-2009, 09:09 AM
The trigger pull is hard but its not the kinda gun you take to the range and run 1000s of rounds thru. I shoot mine occasionally but it mostly rides in my truck. Its for close contact protection and when your adrenaline is rushing trigger pull is doesn't mean a thing.

DMG
10-08-2009, 10:09 AM
The trigger pull is hard but its not the kinda gun you take to the range and run 1000s of rounds thru. I shoot mine occasionally but it mostly rides in my truck. Its for close contact protection and when your adrenaline is rushing trigger pull is doesn't mean a thing.

You will move your hand due to the effort of pulling the trigger and shoot a nun or faberge egg or something instead of your intended target.

The way to overcome that is to shoot it a lot. Practice will build muscle memory which is crucial when adrenaline is flowing.

EddyB
10-08-2009, 11:13 AM
My Kimber ultra CDPII isn't meant to be shot all day either. When the adrenaline is running I want my shots to go where they are meant to.

Super Scout
10-08-2009, 11:32 AM
No offense but I shoot alot like alot alot. I dont need a 1000+ dollar gun to ensure my bullets go where I want them to. Im not argueing that the kimber is not a better gun it is. Im simply saying that the kel tec is a well made reliable gun and I trust it to do what I want when I want.

EddyB
10-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Like the saying goes the guns only as accurate as you are. If you feel that the Kel-Tec is reliable enough for you and you are comfortable with it, then by all means carry it. Saying that a horrible trigger doesn't matter though in a adrenaline charged situation just seems off to me. Oh and I shoot alot as well like alot alot alot alot alot.

Super Scout
10-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Lol fair enough I will say this, I wouldnt recommend a Kel Tec to a novice shooter because of the trigger pull I assume that most people on this forumn are decent with firearms. That said I need to get back to work, I spend far to much time on this site...

DMG
10-08-2009, 06:19 PM
No offense but I shoot alot like alot alot. I dont need a 1000+ dollar gun to ensure my bullets go where I want them to. Im not argueing that the kimber is not a better gun it is. Im simply saying that the kel tec is a well made reliable gun and I trust it to do what I want when I want.

I am just saying it will take some getting used to if you want to hit. I shoot a lot too and I have shot the gun we are discussing.