PDA

View Full Version : Found a spot to mount my CB

RUDY850
10-11-2009, 10:12 PM
I have had my cb for almost a year now and wasn't sure were i was going to mount it. seen somebody else mount it in this location so i decided to give it a try. not the neatest job but if i can find some trim to put around the face of the cb it should look better

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/RUDY850/Picture1128.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/RUDY850/Picture1127.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/RUDY850/Picture1126.jpg

ridgerunner97
10-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Looks good Rudy, You got urself a pretty radio there man. Where you stickin your antenna and what style mount and antenna do you plan on using?

highlandercj-7
10-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Nice, you plan on running an external speaker? It's almost a shame to hide that perdy radio lol.

RUDY850
10-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Looks good Rudy, You got urself a pretty radio there man. Where you stickin your antenna and what style mount and antenna do you plan on using?

The antenna is a fire stick. the mount is made by cool teck and it gets mounted on the spare tire bracket. it can be mounted up or down to give 7 inches either way

RUDY850
10-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Nice, you plan on running an external speaker? It's almost a shame to hide that perdy radio lol.

The person that i seen do this before had drilled holes in the bottom of the glove box near the speaker on the cb. i might try that or just get a external speaker and be done with it

ridgerunner97
10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Cool, you planning on running a spring with your antenna? The firestick is a tough antenna but doesn't tend to flex much when it whacks a branch, resulting in a snapped antenna sometimes. I am using a firestick mount and a heavy duty firestick spring with my francis fiberglass antenna. Also shoot for about 18ft. of coaxial cable for the antenna they say that that length tends to give the best performance.

tjblair
10-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Don't use a spring it will just screw with the swr's. I find that a base load antena works best like a Wilson. I run a Wilson 5000(because I run a 10 meter radio) it's about the best antena you can get but is a little pricey. A Wilson 1000 will work just fine for that radio and is tuneable where a firestick is not. Also with a base load (or coil) there is no need for a crappy spring.

RUDY850
10-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Cool, you planning on running a spring with your antenna? The firestick is a tough antenna but doesn't tend to flex much when it whacks a branch, resulting in a snapped antenna sometimes. I am using a firestick mount and a heavy duty firestick spring with my francis fiberglass antenna. Also shoot for about 18ft. of coaxial cable for the antenna they say that that length tends to give the best performance.

ya I need to get a spring. forgot to order it.did order a quick disconnect

The coaxial is coming with the antenna 18 feet is included in the kit

RUDY850
10-12-2009, 12:57 PM
This is a pic of the mount and cable i have ordered
says the firestick has a tunable tip
does a set up like this still need a ground wire to the mounting bracket

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/RUDY850/JKGatemount2_640x480.jpg

ridgerunner97
10-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Jeff, if you account for your spring heigth in your setup there isn't a problem as far as I have found talkin to guys. I agree with you on the wilson antenna you are running they are nice. After this wkend and mangling my mount on a tree from draggin the body on it, I'm prob goin over to a ball mount like the state police run, with a Wilson trucker style antenna I think its called with a heavy duty pot belly spring. I think it will work well. How do you like your 10 meter?

tjblair
10-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I've always had problems with springs going bad and grounding out. More than one time I've replaced springs and fried one radio because of an antena spring.

Firestick may have tuneable antennas, but everyone ive used you had to tune it by the coax length. I used to run firestick's on my cb radio's, but I would never even think of running on on a ham radio.

I love the 10 meter(or ham) radio. I'm the loudest mofo in the woods. I am running a general lee. If I remember right it's putting out about 60 watts. I might be looking to up grade to a general grant I think it is. It will go about 150 watts after a tune up.

ridgerunner97
10-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah my one buddies dad has an old galaxy radio and a few connex ones. I like the General Lee, just sucks in my XJ, not very many easy ways to fit a fullsize radio in there. I have the overhead console which cramps my style haha. I'm runnin a francis and 18ft. astatic coax and my lil baby cobra talks pretty good for bein stock. I'm probably goin to add an auxiliary speaker in my XJ cuz i'm deaf and with the radio talkin all the time out on the trail this wkend i really noticed the lack of volume.

tjblair
10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I used to run a galaxy 55 the only thing I liked better about it was it had in internal freak counter. With the general lee I have to run an external one. Both great radio's.

Do you know anyone looking to get rid of a liniar's.

ridgerunner97
10-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Nope I don't. I'm in the market now I think for another radio LMAO, got me thinkin again ya bum. LOL

BigDukeSix
10-12-2009, 02:20 PM
I mounted my cb above the mirror in my JK . You can hear it fine where its mounted. I mounted my firestick on the tailgate in a similar way, it sticks over the roof about a foot. I havent had any problems with where its mounted except when I have to park in a parking garage.

BigDukeSix
10-12-2009, 04:27 PM
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l441/Bigdukesix_photo/AlexFun-Birthday5-Friends003.jpg

BigDukeSix
10-12-2009, 04:28 PM
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l441/Bigdukesix_photo/AlexFun-Birthday5-Friends001.jpg

ridgerunner97
10-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Thats a sharp lookin antenna bracket! I love it, nice and clean radio install too, nice work.

BigDukeSix
10-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Thanks. I think I got that antenna bracket from Quadratech. I mounted the CB using some old spacers I had laying around to give it a little distance from the winshield frame, without them the radio would be pointing up into the air. I ran the wires through the winshiled frame and out to the battery. The antenna wire, I ren along the same path but whern the part ways it then goes under the roll bar padding all the way to the tailgate.
It was a little tight to tune but it worked out pretty well.