PDA

View Full Version : Flap discs

limegreentj
10-30-2009, 04:24 PM
i just wanted to let you guys know, i bought 10 zirc flap discs from Benchmark abrasives on ebay for 20 bucks +free shipping. I ordered them on sunday night at 10 o clock and had them wednesday around 11 am. they are some of the best flap discs i ever used and definitely the cheapest place to get them at 2 bucks a disc. check em out

limegreentj
10-30-2009, 04:26 PM
link...it should work...its the link to their store

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Benchmark-Abrasives-and-Tools__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Krod
10-30-2009, 04:44 PM
In a related topic, I just found out that Harbor freight stocks Norton and DEWALT griding discs, 14" Chop saw discs, and flappers! For about HALF the price everywhere else...

My local stores stopped carrying Norton Abrasive discs a few years back, and not much else compares IMHO. So good to have another local, cheap source for em!

limegreentj
10-30-2009, 04:48 PM
the only flappers i found at HF were just the regular sandpaper flappers and they are 3 for 8 bucks or something...these are zirc. (last waaay longer) and they were 2 bucks a disc. i have bought dewalt grinding discs at HF though

Peccavi18
10-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
On a related note,What kinds of cut off wheels is everyone using and where are you getting them? I want to order some in bulk I always run out in the middle of a project. I used to use the HF one but lately have been ponying up for the Dewalt skinny ones, they produce better cuts and last about as long as the shitty HF ones, and don't blow up on me.

mudforblood
10-31-2009, 07:37 AM
I don't really like using flap discs because they don't last very long for the cost. I use regular 5" abrasive discs on a 4 1/2" or 4" backing plate and a few even smaller phenolic backing plates. Once the edge wears off, cut the disc down with snips and you have a brand new edge.

3m abrasive discs last waaayyy longer than any other disc I've found. Autobody supply places is where I get them. They are more expensive but the grit stays on the disc longer. Keeping the discs dry is key for any brand to last though.

As for grinding wheels and cutoffs norton from my local welding supply shop seems to work good. I use forney sold at trader horn also, which seem to wear a little faster but still don't self destruct like some of the cheaper wheels.

fedorchak1635
10-31-2009, 08:25 AM
I order all of my grinding wheels from :
http://www.bulletindustries.com/

I got 30 4.5 cut-off wheels & 20 grinding wheels for 43.30 shipped.

4.5 cut-off wheels $0.53 each
4.5 grinding wheels $1.02 each
4.5 flap discs (alum oxide) $1.23 each
4.5 flap discs (zinc) $ 2.09 each

mxg342
11-01-2009, 09:02 AM
I use only dewalt wheels. Too many of those cheap ones blowing up, or getting stuck on the arbor when you get some heat in them.

I'll have to check out the Norton ones if I can find them locally. Most of my stuff comes from Tractor Supply.