PDA

View Full Version : Tube fender width

Mykal
11-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Ill be doing tube fenders on the XJ shortly.
I believe that PA allows up to a 3" flare to be installed. Anyone ever have a station or LEO actually measure them?

I was thinking of making them 3.5" to help with coverage. Im going full width so I know it wont completely cover them but every bit helps. Right?

I rarely come to PA unless its a trip to Connellsville so I dont think I have to worry about being pulled over since I live in WV and it will be registered in PA.

gonecheenin
11-03-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm not sure what PA's flare law has to do with Tube fenders?

My understanding is that PA's flare law only applys to the rubber bolt on flares. A tube fender extension is simply part of the fender.

Besides, if you were gonna have problems with something when in PA, I would bet on the J-cut you did on the rear end drawing attention before tube "flares" ever came up.

Mykal
11-03-2009, 01:45 PM
I dont know either, thats why Im asking.
I just figured that since they are covering the tires they would be seen as flares.

Is there something on the books that says you cant do that?
Im not familiar with PA laws at all. In WV there is nothing that says you can not do that but it wont be registered in WV.

limegreentj
11-03-2009, 02:51 PM
i'd make em 3 inches and then if your tires stick out, screw some rubber to the underside of them for inspection

muddeprived
11-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I've been told quite a few times when I had the TJ that the fender flares have to be covering the tread of the tire. I guess any flare would do as long as it's covering the tire.

I'm curious what's gonna happen when I take the XJ in for inspection with LTB's sticking out 2".

Mykal
11-03-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm not so much worried about inspection. Just getting pulled when I do venture into Pa.

Deadman 94 xj
11-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers but...

everything is illegal in PA.

That said, you probably stand a better chance of not being harassed as long as your tire are completley covered.

limegreentj
11-03-2009, 06:43 PM
like i said...build your fenders however you want...then throw some rubber or plastic along the fender for inspection day.

muddeprived
11-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm not so much worried about inspection. Just getting pulled when I do venture into Pa.

As long as your fenders are covered they won't bother you. Ask Bill about this, he might know.

JeepGeneral
11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
I would be more worried about getting the thing inspected in PA than tire coverage.

RUDY850
11-03-2009, 07:11 PM
If I remember correctly. and if the law hasn't changed. you can add 3 inches wider then factory

It will be up to the person doing the inspection. Depends if they go by the book or not.

To me having the tread covered would be more important and safer for all

tjblair
11-03-2009, 08:27 PM
like i said...build your fenders however you want...then throw some rubber or plastic along the fender for inspection day.
That may get it inspected, but won't stop you from getting pulled over once you take them off.

tjblair
11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
If I remember correctly. and if the law hasn't changed. you can add 3 inches wider then factory

It will be up to the person doing the inspection. Depends if they go by the book or not.

To me having the tread covered would be more important and safer for all
No, i believe that it is a three in flare that is it. unless it is equiped from factory with fore than 3in flare. such as rubicon's sahara's and jk's.

limegreentj
11-03-2009, 08:33 PM
That may get it inspected, but won't stop you from getting pulled over once you take them off.

then leave it on there?? lol

PAFirefighter49
11-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Honestly dude -- I have never been pulled over for anything regarding "illegal" modifications. Neither have any of my friends. I mean speak up if this has happened to anyone on here, but the police really don't care -- unless they're out looking for it to be pricks -- about ny of that. And Mykal -- they Rarely even look twice at vehicles with out-of-state tags for that stuff. Don't speed or blow red lights and you should be fine in PA. I'd do whatever you want with the fenders.

RUDY850
11-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Ok. This might help

Subchapter E - Passenger Cars And Light Trucks
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/pub_45.shtml

(b) Fenders

- The wheels of a vehicle specified

under this subchapter shall be equipped with

fenders of a type used as original equipment.
A tire may not come in contact with the body,

fenders or chassis of vehicle.

(e) Fender Flares

- A vehicle may be equipped
with fender flares not to exceed 3 inches.

tjblair
11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I have been pulled over twice and warned about my tires sticking out. I was even getting in my jeep at walmart and a cop stopped and told me " better get those tires covered" then he kept on rolling. thats why when I got the tube fenders I made sure that they would cover the tires.

tjblair
11-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Yah thats what I thought, 3in is the max. Which is BS by that rule 75% of the jeep's on the road are illegal.

NeonRyder
11-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I actually just got pulled over for this a couple weeks ago. The guy was from north versailles.
He actually got out a tape measure and measured my flares. I have the 7" Warns.

The inspection code doesn't say anything about vehicles being exempt from this rule when factory equipped. That's going to be my basis for pleading not guilty on the ticket. Those other vehicles should not be sold in PA since they don't meet the inspection code.

Wish me luck...

ridgerunner97
11-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Haha, i bet i know who it was, PM me LOL

Dragonslayer
11-04-2009, 05:59 AM
North Versailles cop's are pr**ks

gonecheenin
11-04-2009, 06:02 AM
I actually just got pulled over for this a couple weeks ago. The guy was from north versailles.
He actually got out a tape measure and measured my flares. I have the 7" Warns.

The inspection code doesn't say anything about vehicles being exempt from this rule when factory equipped. That's going to be my basis for pleading not guilty on the ticket. Those other vehicles should not be sold in PA since they don't meet the inspection code.

Wish me luck...

THAT was a LEO with nothing better to do right there. :092:

And LEO's wonder why they get bad attitudes from people.

Better not go murdering anyone, or giving illegal sidewalk wedgy's or anything, now that you know we're watching you - you 7" flare trouble-maker. :017: :070: :wasted:

Dozer45
11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
[quote=PAFirefighter49;179483]Honestly dude -- I have never been pulled over for anything regarding "illegal" modifications. Neither have any of my friends. I mean speak up if this has happened to anyone on here, but the police really don't care -- unless they're out looking for it to be pricks quote]

My buddy got slammed for:
-not having a bumper low enough
-not having his headlights/taillights low enough
-not having heat sheilds over his stacks
-tires sticking outside wheel wells

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs126.snc1/5411_709576296328_7725549_41311104_6225795_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs189.snc1/6329_98488238778_597768778_2136460_5071467_n.jpg

but he got busted because an old lady in a cadillac rear ended him, and now has a trailer hitch sticking out of her northstar V8. so cops came and blamed it on both of them.

ridgerunner97
11-04-2009, 02:08 PM
No heat shields on stacks??? Holy hell, where was that at? LOL, remind me to never drive through that area for any reason.

2002wranglerX
11-04-2009, 03:07 PM
there's a valuable lesson there.

stacks are for semi's. NOT pickup trucks.

jeepxj3
11-04-2009, 05:11 PM
go be a trucker if you want stacks...

ridgerunner97
11-04-2009, 05:49 PM
LOL, i was just surprised haha, stacks serve one purpose on a pickup, and that is only if its coming out of the hood on a pulling truck :) Plus, id rather have a 5-6in turbo back at just about the perfect height of a honda window anyway :overkill:

Dozer45
11-06-2009, 02:00 PM
his 7.3 diesel can black out the sun, you get in front of a ricer, put it in 4th gear doin 35 and put the skinny pedal down, and you cant see to the end of his bed theres so much soot, cars dissappear and probably start to cry.. its pretty fun.

Mykal
11-06-2009, 02:06 PM
his 7.3 diesel can black out the sun, you get in front of a ricer, put it in 4th gear doin 35 and put the skinny pedal down, and you cant see to the end of his bed theres so much soot, cars dissappear and probably start to cry.. its pretty fun.

Thats sooo cool. :thumbsdown:
He is just as bad as the ricers.

dan58
11-06-2009, 02:32 PM
My buddy got slammed for:
-not having a bumper low enough
-not having his headlights/taillights low enough
-not having heat sheilds over his stacks
-tires sticking outside wheel wells

but he got busted because an old lady in a cadillac rear ended him, and now has a trailer hitch sticking out of her northstar V8. so cops came and blamed it on both of them.

He should also get ticketed for supporting Big Gay Truckland. That thing is hideous.

ridgerunner97
11-06-2009, 02:36 PM
^ LOL, I always say to each his own and get a chuckle out of what i see sometimes :) Everyone has a different taste haha, my buddy has a maroon dmax, stacks chipped, pretty nifty, he wants to "black it out", black chrome stack, black accents, gay, and i tell him that, you gotta be rockin the chrome on a street beast i think. That just proves my point of different tastes.

limegreentj
11-06-2009, 02:49 PM
first off...jackin a truck up real high and then driving it on the street is dumb...because all it does is kills performance and makes it suck to drive....and chrome sucks...lol...on anything but a hot rod

but....to each his own...like you said

ridgerunner97
11-06-2009, 02:51 PM
oh come on brandon, you don't like the big diesel pickups with the chrome mirrors,grille,bugdeflector, rocker covers, stacks, toolbox, wheels, cab visor? LMAO :042: I like the old man look haha

ridgerunner97
11-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Hell, sorry for the Hijack Mykal, come on all you worthless bastards lets get back on track talkin about tube fenders!

Mykal
11-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Its cool. Im used to reading about 3-5 different topics in one thread. :) haha

limegreentj
11-06-2009, 03:03 PM
tube fenders!!! yeah!!!! cool....i'd make em your standard 3 inches....

dan58
11-06-2009, 03:03 PM
I have a problem with people lifting a truck to high hell on the street (not to mention the puny little tires and 4 feet of fender clearance.) It's ASKING for law enforcement to crack down on 4x4 vehicles. If he T-bones someone some little grandma in a sedan, she's mince meat. Period. End of story. Rolling coals at every light gives yet another piece of ammunition to those who want to crack down on vehicle modifications. Having tires hanging way out brings attention to everyone with a lifted rig, not just the ones that really should have a ticket. Piece by piece, we get privileges taken away because people are boneheads.

<steps off soapbox>

BigDukeSix
11-06-2009, 03:06 PM
He should also get ticketed for supporting Big Gay Truckland. That thing is hideous.

LOFL Big Gay Truckland. Diesels sound like shit as it is, I dont see the need to make it sound like a back hoe or look like a bad barbecue pit.

Anyway, I got nailed years ago in my YJ by the PSP for tires sticking out. And last summer a PSP was eyef**kin my tires on my JK at a turnpike toll booth, and they barely stick out.

limegreentj
11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I have a problem with people lifting a truck to high hell on the street (not to mention the puny little tires and 4 feet of fender clearance.) It's ASKING for law enforcement to crack down on 4x4 vehicles. If he T-bones someone some little grandma in a sedan, she's mince meat. Period. End of story. Rolling coals at every light gives yet another piece of ammunition to those who want to crack down on vehicle modifications. Having tires hanging way out brings attention to everyone with a lifted rig, not just the ones that really should have a ticket. Piece by piece, we get privileges taken away because people are boneheads.

<steps off soapbox>

x2 :thumbsup:

gonecheenin
11-06-2009, 03:07 PM

<steps off soapbox>

I hate to say it (Specially since I was a version of that when I was younger, though not quite to that extent), but I agree.

That guy becomes the poster child for every modified 4x4 on the road & off - and no offense to your buddy, but he is not making us look good at all.

Dozer45
11-06-2009, 06:54 PM
none taken, Its not my style either, but its cool in his eyes. I love my jeep, wouldnt trade it for anything like his rig. not to mention he is completley useles on the trail. but anyways, make an extra batch of tube fenders so i can have them as well. these look sweet, make these>> http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/3324/381/33307690030_large.jpg

Mykal
11-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Mine won't work for you unless you compcut it. Those are hideous.They aren't even tube fenders.

limegreentj
11-06-2009, 07:42 PM
i agree...its just some square tube screwed to the sheetmetal...they wouldnt even act like a tube fender in the event of a hit

limegreentj
11-06-2009, 07:43 PM
btw...where did you find that pic? on a forum? you have a link? i'd like to read what people are saying!

ridgerunner97
11-06-2009, 09:14 PM
LMAO, Nice one Rob!!! where the hell did you find that at!?!

Dragonslayer
11-07-2009, 07:15 AM
those are hideous.

^ x2

Dozer45
11-07-2009, 11:46 PM
LOL what are you guys talking about, Im gonna ask this guy to build me a set then... NNNAAAAHHHHTTTT!!! I google imaged tube fender cherokee... its on this site

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3330769

toatlly sweet, I guess its from scranton PA

highlandercj-7
11-10-2009, 09:43 AM
there's a valuable lesson there.

Stacks are for semi's. Not pickup trucks.

<steps off soapbox>

amen!

PAFirefighter49
11-12-2009, 02:06 AM
I must just be really lucky that I live where the police arent pr*cks.... I got pulled over by a cop for "37 in a 35" so he could comment on my new crusher corners lmfao. I didn't get a ticket or a warning or anything. Plus the corners definitely don't cover my tires.

That really sucks :/...