PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Ford F150

Mack
11-05-2009, 03:04 AM
I have a 84 F150 sitting around the farm that my parents gave me so I could learn how to drive a manual in. Needless to say, in that process, I blew it up. It needs massive amounts of body work, and of course, a new motor. I don't want to junk it, because it was my grandfather's who passed away a few years ago. It has a lot of sentimental value and I hate to see it sit. So I'm going to patch the body, add a new motor, convert to 4 wheel drive, lift and take it off road. I know it seems senseless, but everyone around here talks shit on my daily driver for being 2 wheel drive, so I figure I can shut them up by using this old, beat up, blown up 2 wheel drive and make something out of nothing. I'll add pictures of it whenever I get on my other computer. Before I do anything, I have a couple questions. As of now, it sits stock 2x4 height. How high would I have to lift it to tuck 38.5s? And what motor would you recommend? I was thinking about a fuel injected 300 straight 6, because they're cheap, easy to find, torque monsters and their virtually indestructable. But, I don't know if that would be enough motor to lug around the truck and big tires. Also, I would appreciate any tips and pointers you have to offer, because I'm mechanically retarded.

P.S. Don't tell me that it's a waste of money and not to do it, because it will motivate me to do it even more.

Thanks everybody,
Jim.

I pissed up, it's actually an 85 F150, I don't think it matters, but oh well...

joshs1ofakindxj
11-05-2009, 06:53 AM
it's a waste of money and do not do it

git r dun!

ridgerunner97
11-05-2009, 06:57 AM
a 300 inline with the proper gears in the axles for a 38" tire would be fine id imagine. Depends on what your goin to wheel the truck like depending on how much lift prob 6 plus though

Super Scout
11-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Not a Ford guy but come on man gotta go for the V8. That said If not already done I would find a good ford truck forum. Not saying people on this site dont know their stuff (they do) but there is a good chance on a ford truck forum some one may have already done what you are attempting. Good luck on that truck my grandpa gave me a 76 burban ill never get rid of that truck so I know where you are coming from

Mack
11-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Not a Ford guy but come on man gotta go for the V8. That said If not already done I would find a good ford truck forum. Not saying people on this site dont know their stuff (they do) but there is a good chance on a ford truck forum some one may have already done what you are attempting. Good luck on that truck my grandpa gave me a 76 burban ill never get rid of that truck so I know where you are coming from

I've been putting thought into the motor part, I have a 72 Ford 360 big block that I'm removing from my 77 F150. I wonder if it would be good enough for this application?

And I am a member of a Ford truck forum. Most of the guys on there have their trucks all nice and clean and show worthy.

ridgerunner97
11-05-2009, 05:51 PM
LOL, the 360 ford should be just fine in that truck. Whats wrong with the 77 and why not build it? just curious.

Mack
11-05-2009, 06:09 PM
LOL, the 360 ford should be just fine in that truck. Whats wrong with the 77 and why not build it? just curious.

The 360 needs rebuilt, it has bad rings and a bad carb, and I have no idea what else is wrong. So I picked up a 390 out of a 72 F350 dump truck for $350.

I don't want to lift and wheel my 77 because the body is in near perfect condition. I haven't seen a truck that old with a body in that condition. It has a small lift on it now (I think). It's got brand new Wild Trac 32's and it still has a good bit of room, probably enough for 33s or even 35's if I don't plan on turning. The interior has been redone. The only things that it needs is, the motors swapped, dash wired up, inspected and insurance. I want to build the 390 later on down the road. This is just going to be my weekend truck, and as much as I hate to do it, my winter truck. After I get my 84 done and get a trailer, I'm going to use the 77 to hulk it around to the trails and such. I'll post pictures of the 77 tomorrow.

ridgerunner97
11-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I see, my buddy who lives in White Oak has a 79 half ton with a 14 bolt chevy rear, a 8 lug dana 44 front, 33s, four speed stick and a BUILT 460ci big block ford, he pulled with it before he rebuilt it all, it is a dead sexy machine, i'll throw sum pics of it up on this thread for ya to drool over :)

Sloth_Fratelli
11-05-2009, 09:02 PM
my buddy did the same thing he put a 300 straight 6 in it it was a 89 auto 2wd and he changed it to 4x4 and manual 4 speed.... the thing kicks ass. i almost bought it a few months ago. the thing is tho that his house is attached to his parents shop so he had no problem with tools or anything. id say that if you know what your doing go for it cause i love that damn truck

Mack
11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
So I priced 38.5 Super Swamper Boggers...........fml:icon_hang:

crazy89yj
11-05-2009, 09:51 PM
You can't beat a ford straight 6 theyll run forever.

Super Scout
11-06-2009, 08:49 AM
For as many fords as there are in junk yards you could probably grab a 351 or 302 pretty freaking cheap. If you really wanna put some balls under the hood ill sell you a 345 IH lol

jim91303
11-06-2009, 10:21 AM
here is my 2 cents ....

pull the cab and bed ..... scrape the entire 2 wd chasis.
pick up a 4x4 chasis from a salvage yard ... you maybe able to trade them plus alittle cash.

now your 1/2 way done. i personally would not go over a 6'' lift. trim the fenders. and no more then a 3'' body lift. save the body lift for last ... only if need the extra room ... then lift as needed.

a roll cage is a must .... even if nothing more then a main hoop and 4 braces , 2 infront and 2 in back to keek the main hoop from folding over in a roll.

Mack
11-06-2009, 02:15 PM
here is my 2 cents ....

pull the cab and bed ..... scrape the entire 2 wd chasis.
pick up a 4x4 chasis from a salvage yard ... you maybe able to trade them plus alittle cash.

now your 1/2 way done. i personally would not go over a 6'' lift. trim the fenders. and no more then a 3'' body lift. save the body lift for last ... only if need the extra room ... then lift as needed.

a roll cage is a must .... even if nothing more then a main hoop and 4 braces , 2 infront and 2 in back to keek the main hoop from folding over in a roll.

For the roll cage, would it be logical to basically outline the inside of the cab? I'm not sure if thats the right way to explain it, but I have an idea that I think may just work

jim91303
11-06-2009, 10:06 PM
For the roll cage, would it be logical to basically outline the inside of the cab? I'm not sure if thats the right way to explain it, but I have an idea that I think may just work

yea that would be best ..... FULL CAGE. cages can be costly. worth it in long run

Mack
11-09-2009, 02:09 AM
What brand of lift do you guys recommend? I hear lots of good things about Skyjacker, but I'm not sure. I never lifted a vehicle or anything like that. So I don't know what kind to buy. If I need a body lift, would hockey pucks work? I have a bunch of them because I used to play, before I got kicked off the Connellsville team..... It would be a hell of a lot cheaper, but my only concern would be them getting chipped away or crushing.

And I've never welded before, when I get to the stage where I need to weld, are there any of you in my area that would at least show me how to do it? I'll pay and buy a case of beer or whatever you guys like. I just don't want do go out on my own and mess up something that my life and/or the life of others may depend on.

tomahawk350
11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Can I ask why ask why you need 38's? 35's would fit with a mild suspension lift. I've owned my share of ford's and you can fit a 32" tire stock on 4x4 of that era. the 80-86 being my fav. If you search this site, craigslist, trader guide i'm sure you can find everything you need cheap. There is a guy in Altoona selling a '86 Bronco for $200. http://altoona.craigslist.org/pts/1456875188.html
It has a running 300 I6 carbed motor and has the stock 4x4 parts you need. Another option is find a pre-1980 and do a solid axle swap with Dana 44. As far as a body lift, i would inspect every body mount and see what condition they are in. If your body is rusted, most likely ur mounts are too...

arctcknight
11-17-2009, 09:27 PM
84 fenders with a 6 inch lift will easily stuff 38's, the issue you will run into is the front axle... to go to 4 wheel drive like an 84 was you will be installing a d44 ttb this axle will not handle 38's and a big block!!!!! i would grab a d44 solid axle and suspension out of a 78-79 f150 or bronco save yourself the headache. done right it is practically a bolt on thing, just need to either extend the radius arms or build a drop bracket.
here is my drop bracket sorry for the poor quality if you want i can get a better one
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/493472/fullsize/dsc00009.jpg

any other questions feel free to ask