PDA

View Full Version : Successful 4.0-5.2 Swap

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
11-25-2009, 09:40 PM
ok i didnt take any pics because ..well frankly i didnt think it would work.. but i am here to tell u that it does work and i will only go into detail the main things u need to watch out for..
first off this is a 95 V8 JGC Limited with 120000 miles put into a 95 I6 JGC Limited with 170000 miles
the first thing you'll notice is that on V8 models, the driver-side motor mount, frame rail, and trac-bar, are all sandwiched together..i couldnt get my trac-bar bracket off the Jeep so i just notched the hell outta my V8 motor mount and done.. another thing is wiring harnesses.. leave everything that is attached to the motors on the motors... the only thing that is to be removed from the Jeeps are the computers(obviously they stay with the motor) and the little harness that goes into the firewall (the one that goes to the gauges on the V8 (and on I6 models, the trans computer.... i simply left my trans comp in the Jeep.. nothing goes to it anymore so w/e...) this one stays with each motor as well... it controls the gauges.. it also contains the diagnostic link connector for the ABS (<--?) w/e it is it stays with each motor as well... i noticed on 96+ ZJs that they dont have this little hole in the firewall for that connector (OBD2) so i dont know what u 96+ OBD2 guys can do there.. the oval connector that is mounted to the firewall directly above the PCM, the motor side goes with each motor, its screwed together so dont get frustrated when it doesnt pull apart.. another thing is the gear ratios .. dont keep the 3.55s ur OD will kick in at about 35 MPH if u have 31s swap out to 3.73s also because the little tiny tie rods that come on the 6s just aren't beef enough if u ask me.. i noticed mine flexing wen i turned the wheels not moving.. the batt cables and everything go with each motor too another thing is the alt pwr wire, and a/c clutch wire connectors..(the ones from the batt) the 6 harness has all that in one connector .. the 8 a/c clutch and blue w tracer wire arent in that connector which has to stay with the Jeep.. i havent found a remedy for that situation yet but,, its november i aint worried about it yet... just plug the connector into the the harness from the Jeep where the 6s connector connected into it it will work but without a/c clutch engagement .. and the evaporator is motor specific too... switch'em.. the throttle linkages, and cruise are motor specific too..
thats pretty much it.. u dont have to swap anything else.. the fuel pumps, gas tanks, gauge clusters all are the same.. all my stuff still works.. the fuel psi regs are (supposedly) built into the fuel rails.. wen i changed my d/side fuel rail on the 8 (it was bent and leaking) i saw no such thing as like what autozone tried to sell me wen i asked them if they are the same..

i did this swap about a month ago and have been beating the 8 like i never could the 6 and am loving the improved response u just can't get with a foreign 4 cyl or an american straight 6..

and to top it off... it runs 17s and i get 20.75 MPG on t he highway..

will post pics and vids soon
any questions just ask..
ok flame away.

OverkillZJ
11-25-2009, 11:07 PM
NICE!

Many have seen the V8's get better mileage than the 4.slow's in those rigs...

Mack
12-03-2009, 09:28 PM
and to top it off... it runs 15.15s and i get 20.75 MPG on t he highway..

Greg and I declare SHENANIGANS!!!

15.15s - is that from the back of your house to the front of it? We'd like to be in it when it has one of these 15.15 runs.

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
12-04-2009, 02:06 PM
you'll want the pass seat it has tight seat belt bolts... believe me this is a few steps up from ur little six that takes three miles of str8 downhill road to get to 3rd gear and 80mph dude..

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
12-04-2009, 02:10 PM
and the six i had (and i still have the time slips from Keystone Dragstrip that says it) was 16.64 16.66 16.60..that was with nuthing more than mere 28# injectors, 225 tires, and runin in all wheel drive .. shaving a sec of my time was not at all impossible by adding 2 extra pistons under mah hood..

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
06-18-2010, 12:53 AM
sry to bring up the dead thread but i have some updates....

about a week after the swap i destroyed a front dana 30.. bottom passenger control arm broke off the tube.. mount and all.. a complete dana 30 from U-Pull-it (all 4 arms, coils, sway bar, calipers, shocks etc.) went in it..-----> $75

about 2 weeks after the swap i went thru the factory trans an a junkyard trans in 2 days.. problem a $20 aux trans cooler.. i have a new rebuilt trans with shift kit, deep pan, extra clutches, 1 year warranty, an a temp sensor... ----->$950

2 weeks ago i annihilated the passenger CV joint in the junkyard 30, believe me wen i say i have a heavy foot and yea thats why it broke... it had a sticker on the axle chaft that said napa... so i took it to them... -----FREE

swappin in a 318 with 123400 miles an 26.4 mpg highway with the 31s (i have done this thru calculations at the pump after each fillup and by the on board computer, they are within 1.5 mpg of each other) ----->priceless

all in all.... i'd do it again..

i have to say thanks to dave (dark_prince_fang) for pretty much 2 straight days of werk it took to swap it in in the back yard..

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
01-28-2011, 10:20 PM
UPDATE: for Koedy from Georgia and others

been a year and some months.. Motor was put in and first started on Halloween of 2009.
Running strong, shifting firm, going fast

ask the members on here (if you join) i drive it to all the M&Gs, trails, trail rides, mall, bahaha.. its strong, sounds good, and sets off car alarms everywhere i go.. David Lawrence Convention Center parking lot was hilarious...

The insurance runs out in Feb, and ill be taking her off the road, and it'll be getting done right: the body work that is... motors fine.. dont touch motor
so till its done, i get to drive an even faster car: 1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL with Performance Package

and heres the vid you and others asked for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3F7Cddq9MQ