PDA

View Full Version : Need a welder for my sliders

Something
12-03-2009, 05:43 PM
I bought some sliders for my truck. They've been sitting in the garage for months.

I can't weld, don't have a welder and don't know anyone who does....

Anyone interested in doing this project for me?

There are four "L" plates (on each side) that simply get welded to the frame.

Sounds like if you can weld (even if it ain't pretty), it should be an easy job.

Let me know!
:008:

Something
12-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Here they are:http://trail-gear.com/images/tacoma-sliders-600.jpg

limegreentj
12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
why couldnt you drill them and bolt them to the frame? then they are removeable? either way...i can do it...shoot me an email at the address in my sig

Something
12-03-2009, 05:55 PM
cool

What do you think is worse...drilling 40 holes through your frame or welding it to them?

I really don't care either way. I was just thinking a decent welder could probably weld them on just as easily.

limegreentj
12-03-2009, 06:06 PM
drilling the holes isnt really that bad, and like i said, then they are removeable, you wouldnt really need to drill all the holes in the 2 legs in the center. maybe one at the top and bottom...that would save you some drill time....just my opinion

ridgerunner97
12-03-2009, 06:16 PM
drilling the holes isnt really that bad

:icon_hang: :082: Hmmmmmm, LOL

limegreentj
12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
yeah but you have a gay unibody...lol

mxg342
12-03-2009, 06:33 PM
By far the best idea would be to drill it and weld in sleeves through the frame (that is if it's a boxed frame).

tjblair
12-03-2009, 07:16 PM
It's a uni body? Found this about the 09

Frontier Frame

The Frontier's high tensile-strength steel, fully boxed ladder frame is lighter but stronger than conventional steel. The truck has a double-wishbone front suspension and solid axle rear suspension, with long suspension travel for good off-road capabilities.

Edit: after reading it over again I realized you were talking about ridgerunner's xj

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dozer45
12-03-2009, 08:56 PM
unibodies are simply a gift from god, and since you were obviously spawned in the northside, your def not on gods list of "ever gonna own a unibody" list... dont judge us because your jealous.

and by the way, bolt them up, so when you buy a beater frontier, you can throw the sliders on the beater and stop destroying everything else on your daily driver.

does any of what i just wrote make sense? I might be drunk?

pittim
12-04-2009, 12:45 AM
It says you have a Frontier but you're getting Tacoma sliders. Imposter!!

I'm going to get Brandon (limegreentj) to weld on a set of sliders I should be getting in like a week.

Something
12-04-2009, 09:07 AM
It says you have a Frontier but you're getting Tacoma sliders. Imposter!!

They fit perfectly. I'm a member over on www.clubfrontier.org and many trucks are running them.
The crew cab long wheel base version of the Frontier needs exactly 78 inches.

The price was a steal too. When I bought them they were $99 + $74 shipping.

The only other non-custom option is Shrockworks, which are double the price.

john00TJ
12-04-2009, 11:51 AM
i can burn them on for you if you want to ..LMK..

pittim
12-04-2009, 12:27 PM
They fit perfectly. I'm a member over on www.clubfrontier.org and many trucks are running them.
The crew cab long wheel base version of the Frontier needs exactly 78 inches.

The price was a steal too. When I bought them they were $99 + $74 shipping.

The only other non-custom option is Shrockworks, which are double the price.
$175 shipped for a set of sliders is pretty damn good! Just spent $300 on a DOM set that should be shipping out hopefully today.

jim91303
12-05-2009, 05:05 AM
i was reading in a xj book that welding a unibody frame is not a good idea. can be done how ever they said if not done right ,welding will make the ''frame'' brittle and weak. ( and NO i'm not talkin bad on anyones welding skills)

personally i would bolt them on and would use every bolt hole, with a propper size hole and propper fitting bolt, will remain just as strong. like said above ... removable .

limegreentj
12-05-2009, 11:05 AM
you misunderstood...we bolted the ones i built for jon on...and the OP wants to weld them on to the real frame of his truck...which wont hurt it at all....but i just think that it would be better to make them removeable...bolt them on

dont just look for the easy way...look for the best way

Something
12-05-2009, 10:37 PM
ok i guess i'll give drilling and bolting a whirl.
will be sure to post results.

mudforblood
12-05-2009, 11:40 PM
I would bolt them on so you can take them off later.

For drilling maybe see if you can rent a mag drill at your local tool rental place. All you need is clearance perpendicular from the hole and a flat spot for the magnetic base to sit. I use the one from work and it works great for stuff like that. Think portable drill press. The one below has an annular cutter on but you can get one with a regular chuck and use drill bits.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k116/mudforblood/The%20Mutt/S5031878.jpg

limegreentj
12-05-2009, 11:44 PM
mag drills are the tits!!! i love em!

highlandercj-7
12-06-2009, 08:37 AM
The cutter is the best option too, work 10 times better than conventional bits. We used to convert over the road trucks to tri-axles at a company I worked for. The frame rails are doubled up to make it stronger, then we had to drill all them holes. When we got a mag drill it was like finding the holy grail.

Sycotik Skier
12-06-2009, 10:48 PM
mag drills ftw

oldschoolyotaguy
12-08-2009, 03:43 PM
id like to know how you're planning on fitting a mag drill setup under the rocker of the truck, to drill on the frame.... maybe there's more room than i can picture

i dont see the big deal about welding them to the frame, unless the trucks a lease or you're planning on selling it in the next year or 2.... either way, a sawzall will get them off, then just clean the plates that are welded to the frame smooth....

IMO, drilling and bolting is a PITA...pluss bolted on stuff can be removed, aka stolen...

ridgerunner97
12-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I agree with the welding, you got access to the frame and can easily burn them on i'd imagine. Frames are pretty stout, and I foresee drilling as a pain in the ass, especially if its boxed, then whats your plan for a nut on the back? I vote weld em! lets set up a Poll sum admin needs to make this a Poll :)

Something
12-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm just going to get them welded.

I hate drilling period. It took me a solid week to drill my two race bikes for safety wiring and since then I've sworn off drills! ha

john00TJ
12-08-2009, 06:48 PM
id like to know how you're planning on fitting a mag drill setup under the rocker of the truck, to drill on the frame.... Maybe there's more room than i can picture

i dont see the big deal about welding them to the frame, unless the trucks a lease or you're planning on selling it in the next year or 2.... Either way, a sawzall will get them off, then just clean the plates that are welded to the frame smooth....

Imo, drilling and bolting is a pita...pluss bolted on stuff can be removed, aka stolen...

x2

tjblair
12-08-2009, 07:13 PM
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/28400/28305.JPG
Kit, Hole Cutter

Item Qty Price**
Kit, Hole Cutter
Stock#: GA219B

$125.00
Add To Cart
Checkout

Description:*
Cuts holes in sheet metal, pipe, plastic, and wood up to 1/4" thick. Special design helps prevent clogging so cutting need not be interrupted to clear chips. Includes 7 high-speed steel cutters (5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", and 3/4"), an arbor with a spring-loaded pilot guide, a hex wrench, an extra pilot and stop, and spacer washers in a storage case.

Product Specifications
Stock # GA219B
Name Kit, Hole Cutter
Price** $125.00 ***
Brand Blue Point
Country Of Origin USA
Checkout

these work great for drilling frames. I have even used thenm for drilling out steering knuckles. Seroiusly these things cut like you would not believe.

But I agree burn them on.

oldschoolyotaguy
12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
im in canonsburg, ill be in town from tomorrow night, until thursday at around noon, gotta come back up here to college for graduation.... then ill be back home for good after the 21st.... let me know if ya need some services.....