PDA

View Full Version : Wanted 8.8" FORD

YJ94
03-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Anyone have an 8.8 or could you give me some info on where to get one. If I get one from a junk yard out of an explorer what kind of modifications will I have to do and is there anyone who would want modify it into my 94 I can pay. And what year would have disc brakes, will it work in my jeep and would it be a lot easier keeping the drums. THANKS:071:

MF Steve!
03-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Discs are always better. Its only going to be one center hard line either way...discs or drums, so I'd def. go for discs. The fabrication wouldn't be hard on a YJ, basically spring perches, and a track-bar bracket, if you chose to run one, that is. I'm not sure how soon you're looking to do this, but if its later in the spring (2 months or so, I'd be able to help you with this.)

I'm sure you can find a good write up on a 8.8 swap on pirate4x4.com, inclusive of extensive information on what years are prime, which have higher spline count axles, etc. I believe there might be something with running wheel spacers too? Don't quote me on that though...I hear so much info its hard to remember what goes where.

LordAthens
03-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Call Pickup City down in Fairmont, WV. They almost always have 8.8's in stock and usually cheap, 300 or less.

Most popular donor vehicles are 95-01 Explorers. They're 31 spline w\ discs from the factory and are almost identical width to TJ\YJ rear's. You can run spacers, but don't have to, it's only 3\8" less on each side, nothing hugely substantial.

Just make sure you have the tubes welded to the center section, they are prone to twist.

You definately don't want to go looking for a drum brake equipped 8.8. It's going to come with 28 spline shafts and thats bad, mkay?

notmYJ
03-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Brandon??? answering tech????? You are learning little one, you are learning.

lmao...

What Brandon said is correct. Here is a link for info...
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

Also, you can search car-part.com and see what you can find. I have been keeping an eye out for a good deal, but it looks like Pick Up City is gonna be a good bet. (now thats not to say I have a few yards keeping their eye out for one...)

oats
03-20-2006, 05:03 PM
I found mine on carpart.com. I got it for 150 from some junkyard around salem, oh.

Bill
03-20-2006, 05:15 PM
There is one for sale over on one of the other forums I frequent

I have an explorer 8.8 w/ disk brakes , 4.10 gears and Limited slip diff. The axle has 70k on it. I called around to 4 local junkyards and they all wanted $600 for the assembly, which I thought was high. So it is being listed for $475 OBO.
I posted this as a feeler and had some interest, so if you want it let me know asap.
I have never done freight shipping before, but if needed I'll give it a shot on your dime.

I can have pics tomorrow if requested.

PM me if you are interested and I can give you the info on the guy posting it.

LordAthens
03-21-2006, 12:00 AM
$475 for used?

Hell, not but a month ago you could pick up a brand new surplus one on ebay for $375 + 125 freight shipping.

The place I listed in Fairmont has them (used) in-stock for $200.

LordAthens
03-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Brandon??? answering tech????? You are learning little one, you are learning.

8.8's are something I do have a bit of knowledge about ;)

Bill
03-21-2006, 12:05 AM
I am not in the market... just saw it on another forum. I looked at 8.8s back in the day and $300ish was the askin g price then...

OverkillZJ
03-21-2006, 01:41 AM
you'll find them higher priced when they're already pulled. If you pull it yourself can be had for under $100, but you have to find it first.