PDA

View Full Version : Steering pushing back

Sloth_Fratelli
12-19-2009, 04:02 AM
allright so it might just be me still being hella nervous about everything that seems wrong since i dropped my driveshaft or it might be nothing at all, im not sure. i threw it in 4HI for the first time (on-road) today to drive from cranberry township to deer lakes... i went to stop at a 7-11 to get coffee and when i turned hard left to get into a spot out front it felt like the steering was pushing back on and off in even intervals and it would take more gas to make it move each time it felt like it was pushing back. its only a problem when turning sharp in 4HI so i fugured mabye its just normal but im kinda worried cause it happened in an XJ i almost bought instead of this one, but it was so bad in that jeep the whole front end would bob up and down. haha and i dont want that. any ideas? or am i just pissing into the wind about this. i had a mechanic tell me on that other jeep it was the u joint about to give that made it bob but that diddnt seem to make any sense to me

Dragonslayer
12-19-2009, 07:52 AM
IT IS a u-joint, NOT one on the drive shaft tho. It's one of the u-joint's on the front axle.
You have two option's:

1)Replace just the u-joint.

2)Replace the whole shaft.

Not really that bad of a job either way but it is much easier and bit more expensive to do the whole shaft.

Jeepin'Jones
12-19-2009, 05:44 PM
If your changing the U-joints in the axle you might want to check how bad your unit bearings are and change them since you have em' out anyway, although the bearings are pricey

Krod
12-19-2009, 06:34 PM
If you were on any type of pavement or hard surface, it will do that if you turn SHARP in 4wd. Its not necessarily a joint going bad.

ridgerunner97
12-19-2009, 06:54 PM
^x2, its just binding up in 4wd, if your on any type of hard surface it will buck like that especially turning tight, If you were on a non slippery surface in the lot, like packed rock, or blacktop/concrete, I would venture to say that that is perfectly normal, mine does it, ain't nothin wrong with my front end joints, or anything really at all.

tjblair
12-19-2009, 06:57 PM
If you were on any type of pavement or hard surface, it will do that if you turn SHARP in 4wd. Its not necessarily a joint going bad.

X3 but it won't hurt to check the u joints, I would think that if they were bad there would be other indications like clicking or squeekng.

Dragonslayer
12-20-2009, 09:04 AM
I would think that if they were bad there would be other indications like clicking or squeekng.

Mine was bucking on hard right turns for 2 year's before I found a bad joint on the pass side. No noise or anything. Replaced the shaft and walla no mrore bucking.