PDA

View Full Version : Local welder project, need advice

matthew5olson
01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I have an extra cab tacoma. I wanted to make it a 4 door but keep my long bed. Obviously the frame would need cut, a piece put in and welded.
As far as making the 2 door a 4 door can the cab be cut in half (so I don;t have to remove my dash and all) and have the back end of the 4 door cab welded on. (new roof needed obviously) I was gonna repaint anyway so thats not an issue. I'm more conserned with the cab twisting and breaking later. I don't know a lot about welding and the strngths of a weld vs. solid metal.

If someone locally would like to do this I would be up for it. I;m willing to pay. This is my daily driver also so I need something reliable. Let me know of any ideas you guys com up with.

limegreentj
01-05-2010, 04:04 PM
honestly...it can be done...but to pay someone to do it (i charge 35 an hour for stuff like that) you would have more money in paying me that if you went out and bought a new truck (as far as i know 35 an hour is super cheap, most guys charge over 50 an hour)

the cab isnt gonna twist and break, especially if your frame is in good condition

also, you said its your daily driver, this isnt gonna be a one day project...at least for me to do it, i could bet i'd have somewhere around 100 hours into it...at least.

just my advice

jackb1
01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
If you really want a long bed 4-door. Go buy a 4-door and put a long bed on it. It will be a lot cheaper.

matthew5olson
01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
i'm curious as to how it would be around 100 hours. What's all involved in it? I would be doing any prep and finish work. Just the welding is all I would need.
I can get a 4 door cab for 3 grand and swap it out with my ext cab. Then all I would need is the frame cut and rewelded. Is this a better option to go with? This is my dd but in the spring I'm going to spend a few weeks working on it. Sort of my vacation.

As far as buying a 4 door it wouldn't be cheaper as you can't find any for less than 8 grand. And I doubt it would have a manual tranny in it.

thanks for your input in advance.

limegreentj
01-05-2010, 04:49 PM
to cut through a frame and re weld it, you gotta have the cab off to really do it right, then to cut and weld the cab up, you cant just run a bead around the whole thing and grind it down, you gotta tack it and grind and tack and grind, and when you cut it, you'd probably have to do it with an angle grinder or something (it would take a while) again, this is just my opinion...im really no body man..but my dad is awesome at that shit....he built this, and he started the build about a year ago, and works on it almost every day....to do the chop top from start (cutting) to finish (welding) i bet he has more than 100 hours in it...and thats not counting the putty at the end and stuff.

im not tryin to steer you from doing it, as it would be really cool, but its not something i would want to attempt...especially to an 04

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb131/limegreentj/54chevy.jpg

john00TJ
01-05-2010, 06:13 PM
you have a Pm coming

pittim
01-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Sounds like a hell of a lot of work man.

Dont forget the DCabs rear doors had windows that rolled down instead of the lil pop outs that our XCabs got. I'm sure you're going to have to add some kinda wiring (not sure if you're going to have to get a new harness for the windows or what) and extend all your brake/turn/reverse wiring.

Theres a guy over on TTORA that had a single cab that swapped a XCab cab on his frame...http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115326

Most people bob the bed/frame to make it shorter, and here you are wanting to make everything longer haha

matthew5olson
01-05-2010, 10:34 PM
how you doing pittim. good point on the roll down windows. I knew the driveshaft, brake, and fuel lines needed extended. I forgot about the wires. I wanted a single piece driveshaft anyway. they're better for our trucks. It is a lot of work but I drive over 50k a year and The only way to get what you want is to make it. I'll be doing this (provided I can afford it) right before we take our cross country trip to phoenix. Do some offroading with all the s. cal tacos

pittim
01-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm assuming selling your 04 and buying a 05+ DC LB isn't an option right? Might be cheaper in the long run. Wiring shouldnt be difficult, just cut and splice...at least thats how I'd do it haha.

That's pretty badass that you're takin a road trip out west. Longest trip I've done is down to NC to wheel with the Carolina guys.

pittim
01-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Another idea is get a DCab cab and bed, then just extend out the back end. Would look pretty damn funny with another foot behind the wheel wells, but probably the least amount of welding.

matthew5olson
01-05-2010, 10:52 PM
yeah I won't ever buy a 2nd gen. I test drove them a lot. The only thing better about them was there traction control systems. the DC LB don't come in a stick. + the 6 speed manual has trouble spots. and there's no added benefit of it over my 5 speed. just an extra 3rd gear. If its going to be to much money/hassle I won't do it, but its something I'm willing to spend some time and money on.
some actually came off the dealership with a dc lb they took a dc and cut the frame and put a lb on it. It was a $5k option from some dealers. There's a thread on TW about it.