PDA

View Full Version : phpBB

Cebby
12-11-2004, 10:54 AM
How hard was this to set up? I am considering setting up a forum for my business (office furniture - I know....yawn) to share information about various furniture products. I see that phpBB is "free", so all I need is a domain and a host that supports mySQL and PHP, right? How much "programming" is required. I'm good with applications and have dabbled with some web page creation programs, but that's about it. Any words of wisdom?

LordAthens
12-11-2004, 11:19 AM
phpBB in and of itself is not difficult to setup or manage. Integrating it with other things, like our front page for example, is.

If you're just looking to add a standalone forum to a site, have at it. It's not difficult. Infact, a large number of hosts actually have an option in their control panel now to automatically setup and install a phpBB forum. It does all of the SQL entries and inital setup for you.

As for a host, it depends on your needs. As it sits right now, we are using Ripple Host (www.ripplehost.com). $10\YEAR get's us 4gb\month of transfer and 200megs of disk. For a small website, this is sufficient. It works for us for the time being, until I get the photo gallery installed, which I'll then move us over to a different "monthly cost" type of host. It'll end up costing me ~$10\month to run PGH Off Road, but we'll have a LOT more space to play with.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

OverkillZJ
12-11-2004, 12:35 PM
phpBB = easy (and I'm starting to learn towards better too ;))