PDA

View Full Version : What resistors do I need?

limegreentj
01-21-2010, 04:08 PM
hey fellas, im putting 2.5 inch amber leds in the grill...and i was just wondering what resistors i might need to wire in? i figured id ask here first cuz someone has probably done it and would know right away, instead of me trying to research all day...thanks in advance!

tjblair
01-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Just put them in and let them blink fast.

OverkillZJ
01-21-2010, 04:48 PM
You should just put strobe lights in there instead :p

limegreentj
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Just put them in and let them blink fast.

no....i got this far...i wanna do it right

You should just put strobe lights in there instead :p

that would be sweet...disco party in the woods....or the pavement....since its mine :biggrin:

XJchris98
01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Brandon, You'll probably need to replace your flasher relay with an electronic one. I believe the current one is a thermal relay.

When I did the LED tail lights in my XJ, along with the trailer wiring converter, thats what everyone said you needed to make them work. IF NOT, I think autozone/advance sell's inline resistors meant for LED's...look in their lightbulb section.

limegreentj
01-21-2010, 04:57 PM
i think you are right chris...ive heard that before...ill see what i can find...thanks man!

oldschoolyotaguy
03-07-2010, 11:49 AM
I need to do the same, my led fronts are nice, but the fast blinking is annoying, although I'm used to it after 2 years, i still want it done right...

steveg0690
03-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I put LED parking lights on the front of my cj, they don't blink fast. I just plugged them right in.

limegreentj
03-07-2010, 01:26 PM
strange...

unless the parking lights you put in had resistors wired in....thats the way my individual side marker lights on my tube fenders are

oros35
03-07-2010, 05:58 PM
It depends on what your trying to accomplish.

I put the 2.5" Led's in for my turn signals. To make this work I had to make a 2 wire light into a 3 wire light. I used a resistor and a diode for the park light and just a diode for the turn signal. Works great.

If your lights already work the way you want them to (just switching from standard to LED) the best and easiest way is to replace the flasher. If the Jeep is older than a 2002 (4 prong flasher) all you need is to put an LED flasher in. A number EP-26LED if I remember right.

If it's a 2002 or newer, you have to modify the 5 prong flasher to make it work. It is an EP-27. There is an EP-27LED but it is not compatible. There are good instructions on the net. I've seen a couple people selling them but never bought one, just had mine modified.

steveg0690
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Not sure if it is wired in or not. I got them at the Emlenton truck stop. They are the clear lights that light up amber. It probably is built in, they do have a pretty good circuit board inside them.

Only paid $7 each. They were on sale.