PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a set of 33x10.50x15 A/T or M/T

skeebs
01-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Looking for an aggressive A/T or a decent mileage M/T in the 33x10.50x15 or 33x9.50x15. My goal is to have something that is overall good on the street year round (snow, rain, dry, etc.), that I could possibly mildly offroad with should I chose to. I have been reading a lot of reviews that people are unhappy with the latest BF Goodrich T/A KO, maybe the composition isn't quite what it used to be, so I don't think I want to risk buying those. I will save up some money while I am running these to buy strictly offroading M/T tires (most likely Cooper STT's, or stick with my ProComp M/T's) to swap on for wheelin trips, so that's not a problem. Like I said, just want an all around decent tire for a good ride on the street. Even if it's a cheaper off-brand, I could care less, as long as I can get some decent mileage out of them.

I have my eye on the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2, but I am not sure what kinda of mileage one can get out of these on the street.

Any tires you all would recommend checking out?

95yj40
01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Kev you know I run STTs all the time. Great wear and I love them O/R

Super Scout
01-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Cooper ST my buddys run them on their fullsize rigs they get really decent miles out of them. I have Wild Trac Srx tires on my truck they have about 15,000 miles on them and still about 60% tread left. If you knew how I drove thats impressive.

joshs1ofakindxj
01-22-2010, 11:28 PM
So let me get this straight...you want the perfect tire that performs well in any conditions, on or offroad, and will last a long time?

limegreentj
01-22-2010, 11:37 PM
So let me get this straight...you want the perfect tire that performs well in any conditions, on or offroad, and will last a long time?

that does not exist...and never will...

redfox
01-23-2010, 12:22 AM
I have bought some fairly Cheap Tires (http://www.lawheelsdirect.com) through http://www.lawheelsdirect.com in the past. Sometimes they have some really good deals on new if your interested.

skeebs
01-23-2010, 10:37 AM
Josh & Brandon, no need to be smart asses about it. I never said I want "the perfect tire". Please go back and read my original post again before you come in here trying to make me look like an idiot, which you miserably failed at doing ;)

I said "overall good on the street year round (snow, rain, dry, etc.), that I could possibly mildly offroad with should I chose to"….since when did the word “good” change to the definition of “perfect”? As my dad used to say when I was younger, Eat sh!t and bark at the moon fellas.
From what I understand, the old BFG A/T KO was this tire in which I describe, but they have possible changed the compound; cheapening the tire, making it not quite what it used to be. I have seen what the BFG A/T KO can do in most places I go wheelin, almost every time I go out at least one guy has them on his rig and he is able to go just about everywhere that everyone else there can. However, I refuse to buy them due to the mixed reviews.
Maybe I need to look into the Goodyear Duratrac, I don't know...hence the reason I posted a thread for locals' advice, not local smart ass comments. If you have nothing reasonable to contribute, please be polite and stay out of this thread.

I said I want something decent, something a local person who has DD they may wheel occasionally may have already tried. Otherwise I would have gone on an international based forum like Jeepforum to find my answer, but I didn't…. I came to my local friends for advice. Because all you locals drive the same daily streets I do, it’ll give me a better judge on what I may spend my hard earned dollars on.

Let me say this, my Pro Comp M/T’s have just about 37,000 miles on them and are at about 1/4” tread left. I’d give it to you in measurements of 32’s of an inch, but I don’t have a tread depth gauge, just eyeballin’ them. Anyways, I’d say that’s pretty freaking good for a Daily Driven tire that gets to go wheelin’ several times a year. I can only assume I can get a longer life than that out of an A/T if I can get this out of an M/T.

I want to buy tires for daily street driving before these go too bald so I can still wheel these Pro Comps while I save $ for another set of strictly offroad M/T’s.

Sorry for the rant everyone, have a lot on my mind lately and slept like @$$ the past week or so. And their comments kinda set me off this morning.

skeebs
01-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Brian, I am not sure I'll be able to get the mileage I am going for out of the STT, plus they don't make them in pizza cutter size.
I want to stick with a tall & skinny for DD use for a few reasons, which I don't feel like indulging into at the moment.

ridgerunner97
01-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Kevin, I already kinda laid out what I thought, If your diggin an A/T, I'd go with the General Grabber A/T2. They have a factory prorated 60k mile treadwear warranty. That's what I DD on, they are cheap as well, I know several friends that run them. If you pay strict attention to air pressure you will get decent wear out of them. My friend got 26k out of them on his S10, but he is a vol. fireman, and aggressive driver and only a 4 tire rotation, so I'm betting you would get more out of them. I run them, LOVE them. Quiet, kick ass in the snow on the road, look kinda like a BFG A/T but the compound and price are much better as well as having a freaking warranty! Here is a pic incase you didn't see em on my Jeep the other day.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/com/en/generaltire/automobile/themes/4x4_tyres/rough/grabber_at2/img/grabber_at2_3q_uv;property=original.jpg

And here is an up close real life tread pic.
http://eyeofthegeek.com/d/1609-2/IMG_3766.JPG

limegreentj
01-23-2010, 11:00 AM
LOL!!! good stuff!!!

im pretty sure i wasnt even responding to your comment....cuz i think i quoted josh's post and responded to it

ridgerunner97
01-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah Bill, the stock photo that general uses makes em look pretty weak, they kick ass. Offroad I've used them a good bit, air em down to like 20psi or so and they bite really well in everything except SUPER GOOEY mud, but if you keep em spinning you can probably claw through. Rocks they love, dirt and loose dirt they love, snow of all variety's they rock in. Just gotta remember its a radial and watch them sidewalls in the rocks more carefully than if your used to wheeling with a dedicated offroad tire, i.e. a bias ply swamper :) I love them.

ridgerunner97
01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
LMAO, sorry Bernard :flipoff2:

jeepin ruby
01-23-2010, 11:35 AM
If your looking for a 33x10.5x15 specificly I think your gonna be just about stuck with BFGs. Theres not too many tire companys that make that size is there?

Either way my advice would be to just go out and get yourself a set of KM2s and be done with it. I love mine. Theyre a good all around tire and Im getting pretty good mileage out of em. I drive 45 miles a day back and forth to school on em and they are doin great.

I did the old street tires on one set of wheels/wheeling tires on another set of wheels when I had my TJs. I hated it. It was a pain in the ass swapping wheels all the time...

skeebs
01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Just doing some more interwebs searching and I was in fact having a hard time before finding 10.50's as I was before.

I am open to 33x9.50's as well, but nothing wider than 10.50.

Shawn, I have no problem swapping wheels/tires from wheelin to daily driving. I've had multiple sets of wheels and tires for most of my vehicles in the past. I like the options and don't mind swapping back & forth.

I have read the KM2 isn't all that great when it comes ice or to packed snow on roads, so those are still debatable. I know we don't get a tremendous amount in the area, but I want to be prepared for when those times do happen. It'll make it easier on the wife knowing her child is riding in a vehicle with kick ass tread. I'm sure you can understand.

Ragnorox
01-23-2010, 08:52 PM
You can have my 33 x 10.5 Kev, just to Skinny for my taste!

skeebs
01-24-2010, 12:11 PM
whatdya got Mark?

mithuth
01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm looking for some 33x10.5 MT also. Keep us posted if you find a good deal. I saw a Jeep locally that has em on, and i like the clearance and skinny footprint for DD'ing so I thought I'd try em out.

pittim
01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Toyo MTs come in a 33x10.5

vic_vega9
01-25-2010, 08:29 PM
i got hankook dynapro mt rt03 in 31x10.5x15. got a couple thousand miles on them, i love them. their great in the mud and snow and their quiet on the road. all the reviews i read about them, people love them. these are the perfect tire your lookin for!