PDA

View Full Version : Tranny locking in/out

Sloth_Fratelli
01-26-2010, 10:49 PM
so it does this on and off, most predictably in rush hour traffic. itll lock out of first sometimes from a stop or if i slow down and downshift to second, sometimes it locks out of that too. but its weird because its very rare, not consistent at all. the other thing is sometimes if im slipping the clutch in revese it wont let go, if i push the clutch all the way out it will still be slightly engaged and wont come out of reverse unless i turn the car off, let the clutch in (at this point itll lurch a little) take it out of gear(jumps again- the car is off so whats moving?) then ill be good. anybody got any clues? i dont know a damn thing about transmissions

Super Scout
01-27-2010, 12:13 AM
The clutch is the pedal on the left Fred !!! :048: Seriously it seems kinda odd, could you give a little bit more detail on what this is doing ? Maybe i am the only one but your post seems hard to read...lol Need more words

Sloth_Fratelli
01-27-2010, 12:33 AM
sometime from a stop i just plain cant get into first, like the shifter wont go where first gear is. stuck in neutral. and sometimes downshifting to second it does the same-wont even go where its supposed to much less engage. and sometimes wen i go in reverse the clutch wont let go even with the clutch peddal to the floor. i have to turn the car off and let it back in, then out to get out of reverse

village_idiot
01-27-2010, 12:36 AM
try revving it with the clutch in and slowly release it, it worked for the s10 when that happened.

Jeepin'Jones
01-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Sounds like your low on fluid in the clutch, or your slave cylinder is taking a sh#$

mxg342
01-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Sounds like your low on fluid in the clutch, or your slave cylinder is taking a sh#$

Those would be the easiest two. If everything is checking out ok there I guess you get to replace a clutch! I've seen it where the pilot bushing clearance is too tight and keeps the input shaft rotating. I wouldn't run it like this for a super long time as you are really taxing the synchros in the tranny.

96greenxjjeep
01-27-2010, 08:36 AM
X2 I had the same problem in my xj sixths samething check the fluid before geting in too deep

Super Scout
01-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Check the slave cylinder fluid, also may not be a bad idea to change to gear fluid in the tranny. I dont know much about the jeeps trannys but on my scout the PO ran 90wt gear oil in the cold weather it shifted like garbage wouldnt come out of gear and wouldnt go back in. I switched to 50wt shifts great now...

Christopher
01-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Agree with some of the above. For whatever reason clutch is not releasing/input is still spinning

village_idiot
01-27-2010, 11:37 PM
mines doing the same thing, it started tonight with fred in my jeep. maybe its just freds presence that makes clutches not wanna work. im leannin towards it being the slave on mine.