PDA

View Full Version : OK I'll play your game...

dp
12-11-2004, 09:06 PM
What is the difference in sensoring the word **** to say fawk? Isn't the point still the same? Don't we all still get the same point from it -- but it's in disguise, so it MUST be ok to just go around saying FAWK, right?

FAWK your sensorship :rip:

LordAthens
12-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Take it how you want Dave. There simply isn't need for that type of language on the boards. It's fine in Matts garage and I personally have no issues with it on the boards. HOWEVER, we are trying to make PGH OffRoad a family friendly site and not something that you would find, say.. over at POR.

Yes, "fawk" still has the same meaning, but it's not nearly as brash.

That's where this one is ending, k?

OverkillZJ
12-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Dave, I thought I was being lenient by not changing it to "crap" since that doesn't get his point across quite as well. I don't understand why you have such a problem with me changing 2 letters in a post that wasn't yours.

Would you rather I deleted the posts entirely?

I'll leave this to Mr. Admin, but I think our stance is the same as Patrick and Jeff had back in the Yahoo group, this is intended to be a family oriented forum.

Though we're not an organized group, and we don't have a "set of standards or rules" - it's because we didn't think we needed them. We assumed that folks would hold this forum up to the same standards that went along with the old Yahoo system, through mutual respect.

dp
12-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Oh well, no big deal. Everyone gets the same meaning out of the two words. I hope you don't swear when you're out on the trail and break a bead or snap an axle...or when you're in your tent working and realize that you put your calipers on backwards for example -- afterall, that wouldn't be too family oriented.

I'm out.

OverkillZJ
12-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Dave,

In certain company, I'll swear like a drunken sailor. You know that, hence the statements.

As Brandon said, this IS NOT MY GARAGE!

The problem with the web, especially a forum, is that anyone can see it. There is no way to tell who'se watching. This forum isn't even closed to members being signed in. A 5 year old could browse / search to these threads. Some members kid could be reading over their shoulder.

Yes, they have the same meaning. No, they are not the same. Don't be the squeeky wheel that screams FIRE until we have to actually do "real" censorship.

Jpdst29
12-12-2004, 02:37 AM
cursing and swearing all comes down to who you are with...for example if i am at work or in matt's garage i will swear up and down...but yet if i am at thanksgiving dinner with my family...i wont swear at all...seem odd??? no...it is a little thing called common courtesy...we have something inside of us (hopefully) that sort of tells us if someone might be offended by something we say...apparently not everyone has that...matt makes a good point about kids reading this board or over their parents/siblings shoulders...i know that if my 9 year old cousin was reading over my shoulder i wouldnt want to have to be the one to explain to her what that word meant...

dp
12-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Jpdst, thank you, you agree with me and my original intentions wholeheartedly.

You won't go running around thanksgiving dinner dropping the f-bomb. Now...are you going to run around saying FAWK this FAWK that? No, certainly not because IT IS THE SAME DAMN THING!!!!!!!

My whole intention here -- if you're going to sensor, for God's sake, sensor properly...if not then don't.

TimMichaels
12-12-2004, 01:53 PM
It doesn't really seem worth it to even argue over this issue...

OverkillZJ
12-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Jpdst, thank you, you agree with me and my original intentions wholeheartedly.

You won't go running around thanksgiving dinner dropping the f-bomb. Now...are you going to run around saying FAWK this FAWK that? No, certainly not because IT IS THE SAME DAMN THING!!!!!!!

My whole intention here -- if you're going to sensor, for God's sake, sensor properly...if not then don't.

Man did you miss his point. He's talking about appropriate actions in front of appropriate audiences.

Audience here = family site. I'd appreciate it if you kept it that way. No one has said the replacement for the F bomb that you have such a problem with more than you. Would you really like us to start censoring everything?

What, exactly, do you expect me to do here?

PK
12-14-2004, 02:53 PM
Honestly, I don't think it ever came up on the yahoo group. In 4618 messages, it came up once that I can recall specifically with Kirk. Matt addressed it then, and I probably would have otherwise, by recommending that everyone watch their language.

That's still a fantastic idea. Having to censor messages is just a headache.

- Patrick

dp
12-14-2004, 10:07 PM
oh well -- it's the internet, and it's 2004 for god's sake. You think the worst thing someone is going to see is a swear word typed in a message board? Click one wrong search submission and your screen is plagued with all the swear words you can handle, naked women, dildo's and homosexual men proudly displaying their members.

Personally, I refuse to take part in any message board that deprives me of the right to the freedom of speech and freedom of expression. I look forward to being the first to have my account deleted and my IP address banned from the site...and I hope doing it makes you feel like a big man, Brandon -- because I disagreed with your views -- censorship at its finest.

OverkillZJ
12-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Dave...

As Patrick said, it wasn't even an issue in the 4 THOUSAND something messags in the Yahoo group, many of which were long before my time. Point is the rules haven't changed, the only variable here is you.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and seem to be out to get banned, but we're not going to waiver just because you feel like playing the free speach card!

This is a Jeep Forum, and we are here to DISCUSS JEEPS. If you feel the need to cuss so much by doing it then why not save it for the garage where it's not recorded and broadcast to the world?

That is the general consensus of EVERYONE whom I've spoken to on this board.

If you feel you really need to drop the f-bomb left and right, I have a long list of jeep forums you're able to do so on. They have a heck of a different mission though.

See you on the trails, or in the garage, but as far as this thread goes... this discussion is over.

LordAthens
12-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Dave, I'm not sure why you're taking this as a personal insult, especially from me. I'm not going to delete your account, nor will I ban your IP. I have no reason to do so. I'm pretty sure i'm not giving off a holier than thou attitude around here, nor anywhere else for that matter.

As Patrick mentioned, we weren't doing it at the Yahoo Groups page and I see no reason why that needs to change here. I'm very lienent on what can be said \ posted here. Hell, goddamnit, mother f'er, whatever is fine, I have no issues with that. It's getting your point across without being downright vulgur.

Like I said, i'm not sure why you're comming down on me. I'm not even the one that censored you!

Matt locked the thread and i'm not going to go against that. If you would like to further discuss this, please PM me. I hold nothing against you Dave, you're a great guy. We (PGHOffRoad, not ME specifically) want to keep this a family oriented site. As previously said, there are many other places you can go and post that type of stuff if you feel so inclined to. I'm NOT asking you to never post here again. I'm asking simply to watch the language.