PDA

View Full Version : Need a Performance YJ steering box

andrew2516
02-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Ok, on the 2000 XJ I'm running a 4 bolt YJ box with plates on both sides of the frame rails. I'm also running 1 ton OTK steering and a straight track bar that is flipped to the top side of the axle.

My YJ box is less than a year old and is already clunking and the sector shaft that connects to the pitman arm has a lot of play in it.

Since they don't make a sector shaft brace for the XJ I'm going to look for a box that uses bearings to support horizontal movement in the sector shaft instead of the stock bushing.

Any YJ guys know of a good box to use?

limegreentj
02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
when i did my tj, i went from stock, to durango, then to an xj...but it was an older xj...and its still going strong after 2 years....

my point is...why couldnt you use a durango box? or just another xj box?

my durango box leaked within 4 months, and it was practically brand new (flooded vehicle with 15k on it) ive found so far that the xj boxes work well on the tj....but it might be trial and error for you..

notmYJ
02-18-2010, 11:54 AM
The dakota and Durango boxes are direct bolt ins and alot stronger. Any thing more than that and you may need to go aftermarket. I have been running a used Durango box for a few years on 35's, with DD and trail duty and never had a prob. No wear, no play, no leaks. Def a good way to go for the money. check www.car-part.com for a good price on one.

limegreentj
02-18-2010, 11:55 AM
i might even have my old one from the durango...i saw some place where they sold rebuild kits for the durango and tj boxes...if i find it you can have it...if you feel like rebuilding it

andrew2516
02-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah I know about the durango box but I'm still going to have the same problem with it because the sector shaft uses a bushing instead of bearings. Plus I would like to keep the 4 bolt setup because I've seen the 3 bolt mounts shear or snap a bolt.

I think I'm going to look into a PSG steering box.

Krod
02-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Does everything line up andrew? At 37's why not just go hydro assist and run a stock durango box.

andrew2516
02-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Yeah, all the geometry is right I just think there is to much tire to turn which is putting all that tension on the sector shaft.

Your right though hydro asisst would solve my problem and keep some of that stress off of the box.

Deadman 94 xj
02-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah I know about the durango box but I'm still going to have the same problem with it because the sector shaft uses a bushing instead of bearings. Plus I would like to keep the 4 bolt setup because I've seen the 3 bolt mounts shear or snap a bolt.

I think I'm going to look into a PSG steering box.

I use a PSC box that I found used. It does have 4 bolts FWIW. I've broken the three bolts before and upgraded to better bolts. Those stockers are crap.

andrew2516
02-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah I know, I'm not trying to switch back to 3 bolts. I think the main problem with the stock setup is that aluminum spacer corrodes those steel bolts and makes them weak where they meet the box.

The PSC box is expensive but as long as it has bearings towards the sector shaft I'm sure it will be better than these stocker rebuilds.

Deadman 94 xj
02-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, the stocker rebuilds aren't cheap either.

I broke mine by side-swiping a tree. It took out all three bolts along with the steering box "brace".

gonecheenin
02-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Does everything line up andrew? At 37's why not just go hydro assist and run a stock durango box.

Yup. Cheap & easy with this setup too;
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499263&highlight=hydro+assist

Krod
02-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Yup. Cheap & easy with this setup too;
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499263&highlight=hydro+assist

Exactly the setup I'm using. Call them, they are out of PA and can get you the new front cap and the box top plate setup so all you need to add are the lines. Makes it nice when/if your box dies, you can just get a replacement without any hassle from the parts store guy about the additional holes, and you won't have to go through the hassle of re-drilling & tapping 'em.