PDA

View Full Version : Man, I got problems....93 Wrangler on 35's

GreenMachine
02-19-2010, 08:27 PM
Well, my wife goes and buys this Jeep right. I come back from out of town and while it wasn't a bad deal, it's got some sh*t wrong.

Ignition problem, intermittent starter issue, etc, no big deal.

Well, not being all too familiar with jeeps, I need a little advice on some issues. First of all, the jeep has a dumb ass 3" body lift on it (also has axle/spring flip). I notice the transfer case shifter won't stay engaged in 4wd when you put the tranny in first...it kind of pulls the transfer case lever forward. This is a constant annoyance and a danger. Finding 4low is damn near impossible. Is this due to the body lift/transfer case drop, or is there some type of issue that needs repaired?

Secondly, I noticed the bottom of the panhard rod broke away from the axle mount, and the weld for the panhard in the rear is broke from the axle. I assume that due to the lift the panhards either need a drop or something of the sort?

Now to boot, I was pulling this thing out of the snow and the damn tire blew off the rim from some sideload in the snow and I don't have a highlift jack or any way to get it out of the street..lol...wtf!

I've been waiting for this damn weather to break to start addressing these issues, but there's like no end it sight!

HELP!

Krod
02-19-2010, 08:31 PM
YJ

...Found your problem!
Welcome to the sickness :flipoff2:

tjblair
02-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Ditch the body lift and your shifting issues should be gone. Also its a track bar (unless you are a Nascar fan, then its a panhard bar) and you can loose those too.

trailblaze
02-19-2010, 09:07 PM
DUDE... your wife just goes out and buys broken jeeps!! thats your problem... you need to teach her what to look for when buying... OR tell her to learn how to fix the jeeps she buys and then you problems will go away and you will be envied by all men who like jeeps.

seriously though... the fact she bought it was cool! my wife wouldn't know crap about buying a jeep/ car or even a huffy bicycle.

jackb1
02-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Well, my wife goes and buys this Jeep right.

Your wife just brings home a jeep on 35"s?

Awesome. That is all.

Jeepin'Jones
02-19-2010, 10:33 PM
your wife just brings home a jeep on 35"s?

Awesome. That is all.
x2

GreenMachine
02-20-2010, 03:31 AM
Well, she told me she was buying a Subaru. I came home and there she was with a big smile on her face. My expression wasn't as enthusiastic.

I didn't beat her up over it (I don't mean literally..lol..I mean verbally). She's always wanted a lifted Jeep...I just didn't think that meant 8ft tall.

To be more complete, there is a body lift, mega shackles and the axle flip (whatever you call that). I'd like to ditch the body lift and the shackles then put on 33's. High ass COG isnt really fun on steep inclines in my opinion.

So, do I understand that the transfer case drop is likely the cause of the shifter issues? Also, I can remove BOTH track bars and basically the load is taken by the Ubolts and the leaf springs? The Jeep doesn't have swaybars either, so this thing should flex it up pretty good versus my former IFS trucks!

Unfortunately, tonight as I walked to the Jeep I slipped on ice and Palamalu'd my knee. I'm hoping its just a sprain and not worse! My foot was by my head, that's all I know.

limegreentj
02-20-2010, 09:49 AM
its probably the mega body lift that is due to the shifting issues...with a body lift that high, you need to piece linkages together so it will shift...and it never really works, once you take the huge body lift off and fix the linkage it oughta work for ya

mrdylanr
02-20-2010, 10:56 AM
While the body lift is on go through and check the frame over for rust holes and cracks.

limegreentj
02-20-2010, 11:13 AM
/\x2

and WTF man!! POST PICS!!!

Krod
02-20-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm not convinced the body lift is to blame for the hard to shift transfer case. On the YJ's the shifter isn't mounted to the body like on TJ's. The body height should be completely independent of that shifter, unless the shifter itself binds on the tub as you try to go back into 4LO.

GreenMachine
02-20-2010, 02:22 PM
I don't believe it is binding on the tub. I need to pull the boots to really see. At first I thought the garbage stiff boot was to blame, but it feels harder than just that.

The frame looks awesome on this jeep though...mega clean. Definitely a mall crawler and that's it. The body isn't too bad either versus what I've seen out there. She even got two tops with it. A full soft top and a halftop. Both are clean and tear/crack free and the plastic ain't foggy either. Only downside is its a 4cyl, but at least a 5spd. She got the Jeep and all for 2500.

Like I said, I'd like to ditch the body lift for a 1", reduce the shackle length, then put on 33's. She does have quite a time getting into the Jeep as it sits.

I'll get pics shortly. My slr is broken at the moment, but I have restored my crappy point and shoot to active duty.

GreenMachine
02-20-2010, 04:47 PM
I'll be ditchin the windshielf vinyl ASAP

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s262/vtecnitrocrx/Jeep/000_1536.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s262/vtecnitrocrx/Jeep/000_1538.jpg

steveg0690
02-20-2010, 05:01 PM
How much tread is left on those 35's? I've got 33's on my jeep about 80% tread and want to go larger...I'm looking for 37-38 tires but may be willing to trad up if you want.

Steve

tjblair
02-20-2010, 05:27 PM
It might just be the way it looks in the pic. but man those springs look narrow almost like they might be CJ springs.

Dragonslayer
02-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Definately loose the body lift, that look's terrible. F'n mallcrawlin fag's, and the tire's don't even match, WTF??? Slap the biotch.

ArtCloud
02-20-2010, 07:40 PM
I would recommend dropping down to a 1" BL so you can use a MML in the future if there isn't one on there already and you will still have plenty of room to squeeze 35"s or probably even 37"s under there. This should fix up your linkage issues also. Dig up some matching treads next time around and you should be in business.

Krod
02-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Again....removing the body lift will do nothing for the linkage. Its hard mounted to the transmission. Its not a TJ.

The only issue with the 3" BL and the linkage is that you may not be able to FULLY engage 4LO because of the tub interfering with the actual shifter (you'll hit the tub before you get it all the way into 4LO) Either way, 3" BL is just too much. Ditch the shackles, get some good poly body mounts in a 1" lift flavor.

Sloth_Fratelli
02-20-2010, 08:50 PM
the biggest problem i see here is she diddnt buy an XJ:unibrow:

GreenMachine
02-20-2010, 08:58 PM
The tires: Yes, they don't match. Heights are the same so 4wd is ok. That's part of my motivation to get her down to 33's. A little cheaper and all matching. Plus I'll likely go AT's for basic winter driving. I have some love for BFG AT's in the packed road stuff.

Body lift is going, no question. I agree it looks horrid. Body lifted off of everything just makes it look junky. I do like 1" just to access and keep the frame clean, but that's max...no big gaps.

On the linkage issue, it seems there's more of an issue than the body lift..ehh? I'm going to have to take a look in a couple weeks as my knee is F*CKED.

We've been seconds from several XJ purchases...they just never worked out...lol. Of course, the wife wanted the summer top off thing as well. She's JUST barely old enough to have some memory of Daisy duke from her older brother...guess it inspired her to want one.

boo
02-20-2010, 09:10 PM
First off 3" of body lift and homemade transfercase drop will make the shifter hit the tub, and not go into 4lo. It looks like more than 1" spacers on the drop spacers on the t-case. I would take off the sh**y body lift and look into modifying the t-case drop spacers as well.

GreenMachine
02-21-2010, 03:59 AM
I definitely thought the transfer case drop looked ghetto as hell, I'm glad someone could confirm that. They welded these shit ass spacers that are just steel square tube. I'm gonna ditch all that shit when I heal up and am mobile again.

Leady
02-21-2010, 11:54 AM
She should've bought a 4 runner, convertible SUV. But I agree about the tranfer case drop that was the first thing to catch my eye i thought someone used a pallet as a skid plate haha.

But not a bad find for what you paid, after you get a few things done it should be a sweet rig.

GreenMachine
02-21-2010, 12:48 PM
She should've bought a 4 runner, convertible SUV.

OH MAN...you ain't gotta tell me!!!

I miss my baby!!! :089:

While I did buy it this color, so it wasn't my choice, I learned to like it. I did a lot of work to it though for sure and these pics were taken the day I sold it.

Interior was super clean, no rust, frame was spotless, 3.0/5spd. Sold it to an IDIOT, little did I know, and this truck was in a JUNK YARD in just over 1 year from when these pics were taken. No, he didn't wreck it either. People loved this truck. Everywhere I went I got stopped by people because of it. Especially after I got it on 35's again, added the lighting, roof rack and stuff. I fixed all kind of issues it had that made it even better. Man I'm pissed about it.

Still to this day, last night this guy I didn't know came into Denny's talking to a friend I was with and was like "do you still talk to that guy that had that bad ass green 4runner", he was like yeah, that's him sitting next to you. Gets me upset all over again.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s262/vtecnitrocrx/snow7.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s262/vtecnitrocrx/snow9.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s262/vtecnitrocrx/snow3.jpg

limegreentj
02-21-2010, 01:41 PM
nice color! i think i told u that before...lol

GreenMachine
02-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Yep...I remember...lol.

2002wranglerX
02-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Does it have an sye? If not that tcase drop is necessary with that much lift

mithuth
02-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Does it have an sye? If not that tcase drop is necessary with that much lift

If not, check ebay: ~$500 for a SYE and CV driveshaft. take that hidious body lift and TC drop off, and have a much better COG, and go from there.

2002wranglerX
02-22-2010, 12:08 AM
that thing is HUGE. i finally got to see it on my computer and not my phone.

I agree with everyone else on ditching the body lift. Not because of COG, because lifting the frame/engine/trans/etc raises teh COG way more than the body does, but because it's WAY too tall for 35's.

I'd find a different set of shackles, and maybe run a 1" bl, but you probably won't need it. usually a SOA is enough to run 35's on a YJ.

the normal shackles will help with your driveline angles, and the smaller body lift or body mounts will bring it down to a NORMAL size. there's no need to be that tall.

you will want to check the driveline angles now, who knows what the PO did to help with that. Since it's SOA he rewelded the spring perches. You'll want to see what angle he did that at. I'd hate to see you lower the jeep and just end up with driveline angles the other way!

GreenMachine
02-22-2010, 12:53 AM
I hadn't thought about the spring perches actually. Hmmm...that's something I'll look at. How are the spring perches referenced when rewelding them? Do people generally just sit the springs on the axle, while bolted to the frame and shackles, and set a driveshaft angle they like and weld away? Therefore if I change the shackles I create driveshaft angles that are undesirable?

If I understand that correctly, then it's definitely no thing for me to reweld the spring perches where I want them, nor is it a thing to reweld those shackles to whatever I want them to be. I can manage all that, just need to be clear on how it needs to be done.

Yarz
02-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Do people generally just sit the springs on the axle, while bolted to the frame and shackles, and set a driveshaft angle they like and weld away?

That's pretty much how I did it

2002wranglerX
02-22-2010, 04:45 PM
I hadn't thought about the spring perches actually. Hmmm...that's something I'll look at. How are the spring perches referenced when rewelding them? Do people generally just sit the springs on the axle, while bolted to the frame and shackles, and set a driveshaft angle they like and weld away? Therefore if I change the shackles I create driveshaft angles that are undesirable?

If I understand that correctly, then it's definitely no thing for me to reweld the spring perches where I want them, nor is it a thing to reweld those shackles to whatever I want them to be. I can manage all that, just need to be clear on how it needs to be done.

ya, worst case scenario is you have to buy some spring perches.

Keep in mind axle wrap as well since that can be an issue with SOA rigs on stock springs.

GreenMachine
02-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Well, sounds simple enough. Just gotta get through this knee issue and get ahead of the game. I have a Scion TC in the garage I'm building/fabbing a full custom turbo setup for, for a guy from Washington. Once I'm done with that, and knee is healed up I'll be prepping this jeep for some wheelin in summer time.

oros35
02-22-2010, 09:46 PM
I see lots of potential, and she probably didn't go too wrong with 2500.

Lots of good advice here. I'd start by getting rid of the body lift and checking how well the spring over was done. Might just be an adjustment on the t case linkage. You can screw a lot up with a bad spring over but it shouldn't be too hard to fix if it is.

Any other goodies like lockers or gears?

GreenMachine
02-22-2010, 11:23 PM
No I was hopeful of at least a locker but it appears stock gear/open diffs. Prior owner didn't know much. Definitely lived through several owners who were looking for mall crawl status and weren't really into using it.

My wife doesn't want to go crazy really either...just some light trails. She gets real iffy about heights, so extreme angles wouldn't fare well with her i don't think. That's why I'm just gonna put A/T's on it. Make it a good street driver with some ok clearance for mild dry trails.

limegreentj
03-23-2010, 02:26 PM
i see she gave up the dream huh?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1654293196.html

Dick.Breakey
03-23-2010, 03:19 PM
haha. i cant look a cl on my work computer without them flagging me and freaking, but i assume you see it for sale?

maybe his knee didnt ehal right and he cant use it now

limegreentj
03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
it was his wifes...yeah its on CL.

grab that shit up richard!

Dick.Breakey
03-23-2010, 04:41 PM
little too rich for my blood after a grand in tires and giving the fiance money. maybe if he wanted a grand for it lol

limegreentj
03-23-2010, 04:59 PM
lol i hear ya man! believe me...

b4xs
03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Nothing like trying to make $400 for complaining.

Trade for a Honda or Acura, now there's an improvement.

Wouldn't mind meating the wife though, any chick that brings Jeeps home is cool with me.