PDA

View Full Version : I hate electrical problems

Sycotik Skier
02-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm getting really sick of all these stupid electrical gremlins that come with my jeep. I swear things just up and decide to quit working for no f'ing reason. Sometimes I'd like to meet the guy who had this jeep before my friend just so I can smack him upside the head. rant off.

So anyways I'm having problems with my brake lights. They just decided to quit working one day. Naturally my inspection runs out at the end of the month and I've been slacking on working on my jeep because it's been cold and miserable and I didn't feel like working outside. I brought my jeep into the garage today and thought maybe it was my stoplight switch that was keeping my lights from working. After contorting myself to unplug it under the dash I hooked the new one up and I still don't have any brake lights. So that leads me to believe there is a short somewhere. I really hate electrical problems.

justin'sbig7
02-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Check your fuse, if there's a short its blown, if not then there's more than likely no short. It may be a ground, have you checked for power anywhere?

beat1078
02-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Would there be a fused link somewhere in there? If not the main fuse then that could be a problem.

Also the ground as stated.

limegreentj
02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
crack in the wire somewhere?

Sycotik Skier
02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
I checked all my fuses. they're good. it turns out that the wire that goes from my stop light switch to the plug on the turn signal switch is kinda loose in the plug. If the wire is sitting just right they work. I wiggled the wire til my brake lights work and then put some super glue in there. It's drying right now but as of right now my brake lights function.

beat1078
02-22-2010, 06:02 PM
crack in the wire somewhere?

I wouldn't have though about that...how simple. A meter check for continutity would have ruled that in/out.

Good call.

Sycotik Skier
02-22-2010, 06:05 PM
A crack in the wire is what I thought it was. I wasn't sure how to check for continuity though. But I got it fixed. thanks for the help

limegreentj
02-22-2010, 06:16 PM
use your volt ohm meter...hook one at one end of the wire, and another at the other end of the wire, you'd probably have to use a piece of wire to extend the cable on the volt ohm meter though, glad you found what it was!

Sycotik Skier
02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
ok I'm still having problems. The pink wire going from the the stoplight switch to the turn signal switch, does it just pass straight through that plug? Can I cut the wire on both sides of the plug and just splice in a piece of wire? My problem is at the connection right there, it's making consistent contact, thus not lighting my brake lights.

limegreentj
02-22-2010, 07:10 PM
can you buy a new plug? and just wire it on?]

edit: yeah you can just cut it and solder a new wire in

Sycotik Skier
02-23-2010, 08:06 PM
well I jumped the plug with a wire. I now have drivers brake light but no passenger. Passenger side brake light and turn signal don't work. That new chassis harness is looking better and better every hour. If only I wasn't currently laid off.

village_idiot
02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
well I jumped the plug with a wire. I now have drivers brake light but no passenger. Passenger side brake light and turn signal don't work. That new chassis harness is looking better and better every hour. If only I wasn't currently laid off.
wanna trade jeeps, my electrical is working great.

Sycotik Skier
02-23-2010, 08:21 PM
maybe if your frame wasn't toast. It's cheaper for me to buy a new wiring harness from painless $535 minus the $100 than it is for me to buy a new frame for yours. Nice try though. I was serious about a quad though

tjblair
02-23-2010, 08:46 PM
look at the plug does that wire just go straight through, or does it jump to another pin in the conector? It's just aguess but it is worth a try:039:

justin'sbig7
02-23-2010, 08:47 PM
it really sounds like a bad ground dude. go through them all, clean them up and make sure theyre all tight and to good clean metal.

Sycotik Skier
02-23-2010, 08:57 PM
yeah I agree this problem might just be a bad ground. since it's now just one corner not working. My tail light still works at that corner though. it just seems like everything electrical in my jeep is going to hell. I don't plan on rewiring the whole thing now, but if I'm going to keep this jeep and keep it street legal I think it'd be a worthwhile investment.

Sleeper
03-03-2010, 08:55 PM
For you CJ? Check your left front ground and conections. Many probs with the cj's in that area.

Or is it for a grand? If so then the prob lies in the rear grounds where the bulb's harness is that snaps into the lens itself.

Sycotik Skier
03-03-2010, 09:44 PM
I got my turn signals and brake lights to work, took it to get inspected and my reverse lights quit working now. Tomorrow it's coming into the garage and I'm going to play with my test light and try and get it ready to be inspected again

96greenxjjeep
03-03-2010, 10:09 PM
if you take it to the guy i know it will pass then you can fix it after that

jackb1
03-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Don't think reverse lights are required for inspection. Paint the lenses and you're good to go... I think. Hopefully a licensed inspection tech will confirm.

Sycotik Skier
03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
No you need them. I have my inspection license. I wish I was still working in a garage so i could just write my own stickers.

Ben I might have to just run over there and see what he says. I really didn't think I had to worry about anything with my guy. I was all but guaranteed by people I would have a sticker. it sucks being legal