PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ Steering box issue

subee950
02-25-2010, 11:31 AM
I just got my 1993 yj and the pinion nut was loose on it and we got it tight and now the steering box is leaking. I ordered the steering box today but i was thinking is there a iuuse with the box with a 4" rough country suspension lift ???? is there anything that needs to be changed or will the box be fine after i change it ???? I am new to jeep i know alot more about trackers but this is all new to me help me out guys.

PAFirefighter49
02-25-2010, 11:34 AM
I just got my 1993 yj and the pinion nut was loose on it and we got it tight and now the steering box is leaking. I ordered the steering box today but i was thinking is there a iuuse with the box with a 4" rough country suspension lift ???? is there anything that needs to be changed or will the box be fine after i change it ???? I am new to jeep i know alot more about trackers but this is all new to me help me out guys.

Idk too much about that (haven't gotten that far on my TJ)

But do you have a dropped Pitman Arm?

subee950
02-25-2010, 11:36 AM
I really dont know how long is the drop one any idea? i bought it with the lift already on so i dont know??

limegreentj
02-25-2010, 11:54 AM
you'll need a drop pitman arm....i'll measure mine later, it should be the same between tj and yj

if the nut was loose, it probably damaged the shaft/seals and you'll need a new steering box (one from an xj should fit, grab one from the junkyard)

notmYJ
02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm gonna say, you'll be fine with a new box. But instead of a stock one, get a durango or dakota box. It has larger internals and makes turning easier. I am/was running a dakota box with 35's and could turn the wheels wheels lock to lock, not moving, with one finger.

Search www.car-part.com for a good deal on used parts.

subee950
02-25-2010, 12:02 PM
yeah thank you for measuring it let me know what you find out i did buy a new box brand new 112 bucks i didnt want to put a used one on and run into the same problem. Now the drop pitman arm if i have to buy it where is the best place to get one is this going to be a special order part or can i get a longer one from like advance?? like i said this is all new to me. Thanks for all your help

subee950
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
really a durango or dakota box will work???? thats cool here is a question what about one from a 1993 grand cherokee? i have one i can use the parts off of???

limegreentj
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
probably get one from www.4wd.com
or www.quadratec.com

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
02-25-2010, 12:17 PM
what year dakota or durango??

notmYJ
02-25-2010, 01:09 PM
If I remember right, I got from an 99 durango with the snow package. Do search for "YJ durango box swap" you will get a ton of info on it. It is direct bolt on. Nothing needs changed at all except the pitman arm which you need to do anyway.

As far a drop pitman arm, when I needed one in a pinch for my YJ, I got the original one from Matts ZJ. It was almost 2in lower than the factory yj one. It worked with out any major bumpsteer untill I went with over the knuckle steering. Direct bolt on to the durango box as the sector shafts are the same size.

I have used mine pretty hard, and never had a prob nor a single leak with a lot of time on the road and trail with big tires. Plus, it was a lot cheaper than buying a new/reman unit.

limegreentj
02-25-2010, 01:23 PM
yeah i think i put one on from an xj when the hole in mine ovaled from getting loose.

and it was almost the same as my longer replacement pitman arm

subee950
02-25-2010, 01:54 PM
well i drove home to check i do have to drop pitman arm so thats not a problem anymore just the box.