PDA

View Full Version : I am Officially *%&#ed...

PAFirefighter49
02-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Ok so those of you who followed my other posts about blowing a tranny, bear with me...the story needs to be repeated for good measure.

Sooo I blew reverse outta my AX15 in my TJ. Kind of a big deal. So I bought a replacement from an XJ. Swap went okay... Jeep moves again!

SO...On the test drive the front end was grinding and getting worse on right turns....Whatever...I know I had a wheel bearing that was going bad, it must just need replaced. So I go and buy 2 front Timken wheel bearings and swap them out. When I went to jack up the front end, I noticed a sweet puddle of power steering fluid. So I bought some Lucas to seal it up -- So far it's worked.

Things are looking up, right??? WRONG!

SO after I get the bearings done, I take it for a test drive....grinding is even worse. Losing power from it and it grinds all the time.

I'm thinking the front diff went when the tranny did (was in 4wd hi when the tranny blew)......Front diff, or axle shafts, or both. I was too fed up to look at it yet, but I'm going to take the diff cover off soon.

When it rains, it pours.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

On that note, does anyone have a front D30 carrier/gears they wanna part with?

I was also considering doing a front D44 if I can get my hands on one.....

steveg0690
02-25-2010, 11:39 AM
check the outer axle u-joint. I had one blow apart on my cj once. It took EVERYTHING out with it.

XJchris98
02-25-2010, 11:42 AM
What ratio do you need? I have a set of 3.55 gears/carrier/spiders sitting in my garage from when I regeared two summers ago.

limegreentj
02-25-2010, 11:46 AM
its not really a bad job replacing that axle.....check out CL and millerstown pic a part...that sucks and im sorry to hear that...but it could be worse, you could be putting an engine in it! LOL!

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
02-25-2010, 12:12 PM
i am 99% sure the ones from the ZJ will werk right?? if no one has taken them from mah shed i have 3 sittin here..
ok the two rears are 3.55 and the one front is 3.55 and one other front is 3.73..
i will check in a few minutes..ohh by the way.. i have six total axle assemblies.. 4 that need to be gone (like i said if no one stole, borrowed w/e them)

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
02-25-2010, 12:22 PM
just looked.. damn snow.. i have one front assembly from a V8 so 3.73s and 2 rears.. both 3.55s sry.. but anything outta ZJ, XJ, TJ should work right??if so sechrist still has a couple of them.. only 100 or 125 per rear end.. thats where i got the front one from a V8 for mine after i destroyed it going over a railroad crossing (no..no shit).. i'll check for ya if you want.

DMG
02-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Could the grinding be a bad power steering pump? If it was ran low it could make a grinding noise, either from air in it or from the pump failing.

The Upullits in Dawson and in West Alexander usually have some XJs and ZJs.

ridgerunner97
02-25-2010, 12:39 PM
^ I agree with you Dave, that power steering pump could be damaged and howling like a stuck pig. Might want to check that, the ujoints before you go writing off the whole front end. Just pop the front cover and take a look see around LOL, I know the feeling about when it rains it pours...

mxg342
02-25-2010, 12:46 PM
its not really a bad job replacing that axle.....check out CL and millerstown pic a part...that sucks and im sorry to hear that...but it could be worse, you could be putting an engine in it! LOL!

You're not done with that yet? Slacker! j/k

andrew2516
02-25-2010, 01:05 PM
I would pull it apart and see what the damage is first. I have carrier with spiders for a LP30...you would just need gears.

Check the shafts, make sure you put 170 ft/lbs of torque on those axle nuts otherwise they will fall apart. Maybe take a look at your t-case while your at it.

limegreentj
02-25-2010, 01:25 PM
You're not done with that yet? Slacker! j/k

hey! im halfway!!! lol

waiting on my clutch, and motor mounts and stuff....plus im getting sickly

Yarz
02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
What ratio do you need?

x2.. I have a set here. I highly doubt they'd be the ratio you need, but I'm sure lots of people have them leftover from regears

techno
02-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Could the grinding be a bad power steering pump? If it was ran low it could make a grinding noise, either from air in it or from the pump failing.

Yeah, there must be a reason why you had a big puddle of power steering fluid on the ground right? Does the grinding noise happen only when you're moving or also when turning the steering wheel when stationary?

PAFirefighter49
02-25-2010, 06:06 PM

Don't say that, Dammit! I said "It could be worse" when I was underneath it doing the tranny! lol

PAFirefighter49
02-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Yeah, there must be a reason why you had a big puddle of power steering fluid on the ground right? Does the grinding noise happen only when you're moving or also when turning the steering wheel when stationary?

Only moving. Power steering was a separate issue...I'm pretty sure the Lucas sealed it.

PAFirefighter49
02-25-2010, 06:08 PM
I would pull it apart and see what the damage is first. I have carrier with spiders for a LP30...you would just need gears.

Check the shafts, make sure you put 170 ft/lbs of torque on those axle nuts otherwise they will fall apart. Maybe take a look at your t-case while your at it.

Tcase is fine, checked it and put Synchomax in it when I had the tranny out.

Axle nuts are also fine, as I just did the wheel bearings.

I need to find out what gear ratio I have...

village_idiot
02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
millerstown has atleast 120 xjs, like no joke, i was just there.

limegreentj
02-25-2010, 07:53 PM
there SHOULD be a tag on the front or rear axle reading what gear ratio your jeep has

ridgerunner97
02-25-2010, 08:26 PM
LMAO, yeah if it hasn't rotted away, as far as I know the prevalent gearing in the TJ's with a 5spd, Dana 35 and a 4.0L was 3.55 iirc. 3.73 were popular with the Dana 44 rear as were 4.10s an option but in shear numbers i'd guess its got 3.55s, gonna have to check either way.

limegreentj
02-25-2010, 08:38 PM
lol mine has 3.07's or something...i think

ridgerunner97
02-25-2010, 08:41 PM
I thought the 3.07s were only in the XJ's LOL well the hell with it, disregard what I said, there probably 3.55s I'd bet, your still gonna have to pull the cover and check to be 100% sure, regardless of what the tag says if it has one, i'd pull the cover. Good luck with her Jay, hope its sumthin stupid easy to take care of. :)

koenig
02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
What year TJ? I would be willing to bet it is 3.07 especially with it being a 5 speed( I got 2 97 Tj 5 speeds, both had 3.07's in them). If your picking up a gear set/carrier it needs to be for a d30 low pinion. TJ's used a low pinion. YJ's and XJ's I think used a high pinion. I don't know about ZJ's.

tjblair
02-25-2010, 10:35 PM
3.73 is most common but their are also 3.07's out there, I see most of the 3.07 's in auto's, but there are exceptions.

limegreentj
02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
mine and my dads has 3.07's too

PAFirefighter49
02-25-2010, 11:51 PM
What year TJ? I would be willing to bet it is 3.07 especially with it being a 5 speed( I got 2 97 Tj 5 speeds, both had 3.07's in them). If your picking up a gear set/carrier it needs to be for a d30 low pinion. TJ's used a low pinion. YJ's and XJ's I think used a high pinion. I don't know about ZJ's.

99 TJ D44 rear D30 front

Any way to know for sure? VIN check? Something on the Tcase or diffs?

NVM just read your post, Brandon. I'll check on it.