PDA

View Full Version : New winch

fd66tom
02-28-2010, 10:08 PM
hey got a new xrc 8000 winch should i put a deep cycle battery or dual batteries alittle input would help

Mykal
02-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Exide Orbital Battery.

tjblair
02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Interstate is what I run. But any quality battery 800-1000 cca would do you just fine.

Leady
02-28-2010, 11:04 PM
I have an Interstate with the same winch, just hooked it up tonight actually.

rubberduck
03-01-2010, 12:23 PM
deep cycle batteries are not made to withstand the constant charging. (you know while the rig is running) so i would go with a good standard battery.

OverkillZJ
03-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Deep cycle batteries are GREAT for wheeling rigs, been running one in the buggy for 3 years, and after several rollovers, and several complete drains, it's still going strong.

SirFuego
03-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Judging my your avatar, it seems like you have quite a few lights -- which can introduce a huge draw on the battery. The fact that you have that many lights tells me that you will be doing the occassional (or frequent) night wheeling where you will need the lights on when you are winching (which is another big load on the battery).

What other non-factory electrical components do you have and do you see yourself running them simultaneously?

I would personally look into a dual battery setup as winching with your lights on might really be pushing the limits of your current battery. I'm not saying it's needed (I'm running a single Optima Red Top), but a dual battery setup might be a better solution if you have a lot of electrical goodies.

I would also look into a gel battery which seem to hold up better to the conditions we put our rigs through.

OverkillZJ
03-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Be careful doing that without upgrading the alternator though - say you're winching with all of those lights on, sure the batteries can handle the load for awhile, but eventually when they get low, the alternator will be trying to power the batteries to charge, lights, and winch - and probably cook. Dual batteries are great, but its like a deferred payment plan for electricity, HAHA.

Muzikman
03-01-2010, 02:54 PM
I have had bad luck with the Exide Orbital and Optima Yellow top, so I am now running a Die Hard Platinum in the Xterrs (it's a re-badged Odyssey). We'll see how it goes.

Optima, Odyssey, Exide Orbital, etc, are not true deep cycle batteries. They do have a higher RC (reserve capacity) than a normal starting battery and the AGM (Absorb Glass Mat) will take repeated deep discharge with minimal long term effect. However, if you would put one in a boat with an electric motor, you would be very disappointed.

fd66tom
03-01-2010, 11:16 PM
i really dont wheel at night the light are for more of the fire and rescue service so i dont plan on winchin and running my lights thanks for the info anymore would be great the dual batteries i would have to upgrade my alternator i dont plan on useing the winch all the time so deep cycle are not good and the red top battery is not good

dan58
03-02-2010, 08:42 AM
Deka Intimidator. Fantastic battery and made in good ol' PA.

oros35
03-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Die Hard Platinum in the Xterrs (it's a re-badged Odyssey). We'll see how it goes.
This is what I reccomend. I have the Odyssey, I am very impressed with it. It really woke up my winch, Has a lot more guts now. Have had it about 2.5 years now with no noticable degradation.

ridgerunner97
03-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Hey Tom if you search on here for it, there is a thread I started about Batteries, there are a ton of links in it if I remember correctly that show different specs on batteries etc. that guys posted up when I was shopping for one.

OverkillZJ
03-02-2010, 10:27 AM
I have had bad luck with the Exide Orbital and Optima Yellow top, so I am now running a Die Hard Platinum in the Xterrs (it's a re-badged Odyssey). We'll see how it goes.

Optima, Odyssey, Exide Orbital, etc, are not true deep cycle batteries. They do have a higher RC (reserve capacity) than a normal starting battery and the AGM (Absorb Glass Mat) will take repeated deep discharge with minimal long term effect. However, if you would put one in a boat with an electric motor, you would be very disappointed.

Which is why I'm running a marine battery in the buggy :unibrow:

Muzikman
03-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Most marine batteries like you have (Exide Orbital Blue Top, Optima Blue Top, etc) are a hybrid starting / deep cycle. They rob a little from column A (starting battery) and give to column B (deep cycle).

In Optima and Exide's case, the only difference between their Marine battery (blue) and their car battery (yellow) is the color and the addition of top screw terminals.

However, compare the CCA on the Optima / Exide battery to a true starting battery and you'll see that they are lower. However, compare them to a true deep cycle marine batter and you'll see the RC is lower.

OverkillZJ
03-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Hmmm, I don't even remember what's in the buggy, it's in a steel box I can't see through (xray eyes aren't working.) Definitely not Optima. Guess I'll find out when I move it to the Samurai soon (bad battery.)

Muzikman
03-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I think you told me it was a Napa Blue top, which is a relabeled Exide Orbital.

The point is, a Marine hybrid is not a true deep cycle. It is in the off-road world because a true deep cycle would impractical and really would not work in our application. However, if you walk into a battery shop and ask for a deep cycle battery, you'll get a much different animal than what you need.

OverkillZJ
03-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Interesting. So it's Deep-er cycle, haha.

Deadman 94 xj
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I've been running the same optima red top since 07. No issues :102:

Muzikman
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Yes, deeper cycle than a normal starting battery, but not as deep as a real deep cycle battery.

Now, this does not even get into the reasons for using AGM batteries when wheeling. That's a whole different conversation.

OverkillZJ
03-02-2010, 12:18 PM

They seem to be hit or miss, no idea why. I had two identical red tops in an identical setup, wired in parallel with a solenoid in between them, yet one lasted 2 years and one lasted 6. Strange!

fd66tom
03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
so whats you are all sayin is one battery is fine or should i go two

dan58
03-03-2010, 10:52 PM
so whats you are all sayin is one battery is fine or should i go two

One Deka will do it. ;)

Did I mention they are made in PA and whoop the rest hands down?

fd66tom
03-05-2010, 06:57 PM
so one battery will do it for me right guys

Krod
03-05-2010, 07:11 PM
If your alternator is up to it ;)

oldschoolyotaguy
03-06-2010, 11:14 AM
x2 and mine has been drained dead, ohhhh, i'd have to say at least 30 times, easily, and every morning, i hit the key and within a second, trucks fired...

all the guys at work bust on me for the toyota, but mine starts on a tap, and is the fastest starting in the lot haha just waiting on my turn for a recall... :053: