PDA

View Full Version : 98 XJ brakes on 01?

muddeprived
03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=53462
(A2370002)

Is there any reason this won't work with my 01?

Deadman 94 xj
03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
It should. I think 98 is the year they switched to newer unit bearings so you should be fine.

andrew2516
03-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Wheel bearings are different on the 00 and 01 and some late model 99's

Deadman 94 xj
03-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Wheel bearings are different on the 00 and 01 and some late model 99's

IIRC they're the same on 98's. I could be wrong.

muddeprived
03-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Ok i checked on autozone. They have valuecraft rotors listed and specs for them. It appears 98 rotors are about 2mm thinner than the 01's. I'm trying to confirm this.

Deadman 94 xj
03-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Andrew is right. 99 was the cut off year according to a quick google search. You'd think I'd remember this since I'm running a 97 axle with 99 hubs lol.

muddeprived
03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Well that sucks. I was looking to jump on that deal. I bought the same kit for my TJ and it improved my braking with 33's alot. I was going to upgrade to rear disc brakes but I felt no need to after getting this kit. I would just put 98 hubs on but i just replaced my bearings with new ones so....crap.

Deadman 94 xj
03-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Honestly I'd just do the rears anyway. It'll make a big difference. Then you can worry about the fronts later on, or even do the WJ swap when you're ready.

muddeprived
03-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Honestly I'd just do the rears anyway. It'll make a big difference. Then you can worry about the fronts later on, or even do the WJ swap when you're ready.

Well my rotors are warped and one side has a crack in it that makes a clicking sound when I use the brakes. My pads are in need of being changed to so it's time to replace em. I only run 31's so I don't think I really need rear discs............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................yet. :D

andrew2516
03-02-2010, 10:42 PM

Not sure if you have a manual XJ but the rear disc brakes have a horrible e-brake setup...if your running something bigger than stock it doesn't hold back much.

Thats the only reason I'm running drums on the rear of my XJ44 instead of discs like I ran on the old jeep.

Deadman 94 xj
03-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Not sure if you have a manual XJ but the rear disc brakes have a horrible e-brake setup...if your running something bigger than stock it doesn't hold back much.

Thats the only reason I'm running drums on the rear of my XJ44 instead of discs like I ran on the old jeep.

Yep, the 8.8 discs have a drum style e-brake that, for me so far, sucks. But then again, I haven't attempted to adjust it yet either. I doubt it'll be much better when I do though.

Deadman 94 xj
03-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Well my rotors are warped and one side has a crack in it that makes a clicking sound when I use the brakes. My pads are in need of being changed to so it's time to replace em. I only run 31's so I don't think I really need rear discs............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................yet. :D

Yeah, replace that stuff ASAP! On 31's you should still have descent braking IMO. Honestly if I were you I'd replace the rotors with a good quality but still stock replacement, and research different pads. I'm the same way about wanting to upgrade when something goes but sometimes it's not worth it. I'd imagine with a new set of rotors and quality pads you'd see one hell of a difference.

muddeprived
03-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Yeah, replace that stuff ASAP! On 31's you should still have descent braking IMO. Honestly if I were you I'd replace the rotors with a good quality but still stock replacement, and research different pads. I'm the same way about wanting to upgrade when something goes but sometimes it's not worth it. I'd imagine with a new set of rotors and quality pads you'd see one hell of a difference.

Yeah I'm sure the pads/rotors will be fine. I couldn't lock up the front of the TJ until I put that pad/rotor kit on it and I was skidding to a stop a bit too much and put some wear and tear on my discontinued kumho mudders....:047: It was just so grippy...

But anyways, how about some stock replacement rotors and ebc rainbow colored pads? I'm not sure of the difference between the colored pads but i'm sure there's one that fits my needs. They any good?

Deadman 94 xj
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah I'm sure the pads/rotors will be fine. I couldn't lock up the front of the TJ until I put that pad/rotor kit on it and I was skidding to a stop a bit too much and put some wear and tear on my discontinued kumho mudders....:047: It was just so grippy...

But anyways, how about some stock replacement rotors and ebc rainbow colored pads? I'm not sure of the difference between the colored pads but i'm sure there's one that fits my needs. They any good?

:017: I don't know lol. One thing you should know about me.... I research the hell out of something and then make a decsion. Then, about ~4 months later, I forget what brand, style, ect. it was LOL. I think it's from all the years of drinking :044:

Seriously though, seach around and see what people say works. Mine I picked up from summit. They weren't anything special. Just a good pad.