PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Grand Cherokee Power Windows

Super Scout
03-09-2010, 02:19 PM
My G/F grand cherokee drivers side power window quit working the other day. You hit the switch and get nothing no click no whine nothing its like the switch just broke. I dont like quessing so I was wondering is there a way to test the switch? I tried checking for voltage by the window regulator and got nothing. There is power going directly to the switch all other windows work. Also if I run 12 volts of power to the window regulator itself will that make the window operate? Or am I going to screw something up. Any insight will help electronics on new vehicles is not my strong point and she doesnt have the money for a shop.

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
there are two wires coming from the window motor itself, IIRC they are brown and purple, window motors work by switching the current.. + on purple and - on brown will make it go one way and reversing the wires will make it go the other way.. you can send power directly to those wires without messing anything up, i did it on my uncles 95 and my friends 96.. both are ZJs and both were the front driver.

-->edit: just reread ur post, what year Grand Cherokee??

beat1078
03-09-2010, 03:35 PM
My G/F grand cherokee drivers side power window quit working the other day. You hit the switch and get nothing no click no whine nothing its like the switch just broke...

Which switch? I am presuming the drivers side so have you checked the window disengage switch? I had an issue with mine. When the switch was on it removed power from all the drivers side switches except the drivers window. It was just dirty and not making complete contact and not allowing anything to get through.

Super Scout
03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Its a 1999 Grand and the the drivers side window and drivers window switch. So I could run 12 volts directly from the battery to the regulator and its either going to try to go up more or go down....I tried that yesterday but it was a rag tag operation an I probably had alot of voltage drop....

All the other windows work fine from the drivers side switch panel...