PDA

View Full Version : Can a bad power steering box/pump cause vibration?

PAFirefighter49
03-17-2010, 02:34 AM
Self explanatory question. I have vibration above 40mph. Gets worse faster you go. I know the steering box leaks like crazy. NO vibration upon deceleration.

Any ideas?

Christopher
03-17-2010, 07:28 AM
I would say no
Sounds like a driveline issue, perhaps a universal joint loose or too tight (no lube)

PAFirefighter49
03-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Tranny was just replaced, front diff had bearings replaced and put back together (by a shop)...just did the front axle joints and wheel bearings and all 5 driveshaft U joints...

DMG
03-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Is the driveshaft out of phase?

PAFirefighter49
03-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Idk... i mean it hasnt given me any trouble so far, but i was looking at the angle of the rear and realizing that i have a 2" lift and whoever put it on didnt drop the tcase

Unless you're talking about the weights...they appear fine but i'm not sure.

Christopher
03-17-2010, 01:56 PM
When did it start?
After the work was done? Sometimes new parts are not put in right.
For instance, a new u-joint can be as tight as a rusted old one if the caps are set too deep or the yoke was bent.
What was the chain of events leading to the vibes?

PAFirefighter49
03-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Honestly i'm pretty sure now that it's the PS pump. Reason being it has more power going to it the higher the RPMs. If i push the clutch in and rev it up, it vibrates.

tjblair
03-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Honestly i'm pretty sure now that it's the PS pump. Reason being it has more power going to it the higher the RPMs. If i push the clutch in and rev it up, it vibrates.
Sitting still it does this?

Christopher
03-17-2010, 10:25 PM

Well possibly.
Definetly seems narrowed down to something spinning with the engine.

Your pump is under more load when you steer. Does the vibe change when you steer?
You may want to slack the drive belt and see if the pulley is loose. If the bearings are going out of it it would start leaking.
It could go catastrophic also so I would check it out.

Is it shifting/clutch working normal
Was the clutch or flywheel removed when the trans was changed?

PAFirefighter49
03-18-2010, 01:32 AM
When I did the tranny I had the flywheel machined and put a new clutch in. Everything was torqued to proper specs.

Yes it vibrates at idle and yes it leaks. Vibration is worse with steering to the right and hard acceleration. Lucas stop leak slowed down the fluid loss considerably, but it still comes out like crazy if I'm on it hard and I can smell it burning (hitting my exhaust?).