PDA

View Full Version : D44 Questions...Waggy Vs' Ford

Deadman 94 xj
03-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm just thinking out loud here. Not planning anything yet. I've come to the conclusion that I'll never have the need to put one tons under the jeep. That said, polishing the 30 still leaves me apprehensive regardless of what good things I hear.

If I swap in a 44 I'm going to want something with strong hubs and a 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

I know a lot of guys swap in the waggy LP44s and seem to have good luck even with the LP. The problem with that is I'd still have to rotate the C's to get my castor and pinion angle correct. The problems I see with this are the pinion not being lubed because of the steep angle raising a LP44 would create, at my lift height, and clearancing issues between the steering and the dif. I'm not sure if that would be a problem or not.

The "best" bet would be to find a HP44 and shorten to waggy width. This would put less of an angle on the pinion obviously and I'd get stronger gears.

Since I'd have to cut & rotate both axles, the HP seems like a no brainer. What I'm worried about is shortening the HP44 to waggy width. I don't know much about the process of measuring for waggy width and wouldn't want to screw this up. I also would like to stay away from custom shafts like moser, ect.

All that said, what do you guys think would be my best bet for bolt pattern, width, and strong enough hubs to run 37's?

Thanks!

john00TJ
03-18-2010, 05:28 PM
u might be over thinking this..if you have the Cs off to rotate them shortening the tubes is not really a big deal..its like cut and measure just measure twice ..lol..Id use the HP axle for sure an if your running waggy width you`d use those shafts so custom shit is not needed

i have the stuff for the 5x5.5 bolt pattern sitting on a shelf in my garage if you need it

dan58
03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Why go through all of that work for a marginally stronger axle? Run the D30 till it breaks.

tjblair
03-18-2010, 07:11 PM
With the way he drives a d30 won't last long with 37's locked.lol

dan58
03-18-2010, 08:12 PM
With the way he drives a d30 won't last long with 37's locked.lol

It won't last that long with a D44 either.

I bit the bullet and went custom. I got exactly what I wanted, width I wanted, caster, etc. Save the pennies and do it right the first time.

tjblair
03-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Here Tom, save your pennies and buy one of these.
http://www.overkilleng.com/atomicaxlesllc/ATF-BLDR.htm

Deadman 94 xj
03-18-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm going to run the 30 till it breaks regardless. I was just thinking about later on down the road. If I'm right the 5x5.5 hubs wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

Thanks for the replies.

and I like that idea Jeff haha.

dan58
03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I'm going to run the 30 till it breaks regardless. I was just thinking about later on down the road. If I'm right the 5x5.5 hubs wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

Thanks for the replies.

and I like that idea Jeff haha.

5 on 5.5 is plenty strong. The little ujoint is not.

Run the 30 till it breaks. Don't bind it up to hell, and you'll be fine.

RalphXJ
03-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I run a D44 on 37s and every time out I worry about breaking! You will get VERY good at changing lockout hubs, because they WILL break!

I wouldn't waste your time with a custom D44 if your going to run 37s. I'm running a D44, and if I knew I was going to run 37s, I would have built stronger axles after I busted my first D44 on 35s (broken housing)!

Run the D30 while you save your money and build a 60 or a custom 9in, or watch Pirate and wait for a good deal one a built axle.

Deadman 94 xj
03-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Will do, thanks guys.

tjblair
03-18-2010, 09:20 PM
You need these to Tom.
http://image.4wheeloffroad.com/f/4x4-truck-projects/dana-60-bolt-on-portal-axle/10707271/new-axletech-portal-axle.jpg

Deadman 94 xj
03-18-2010, 09:33 PM
You need these to Tom.
http://image.4wheeloffroad.com/f/4x4-truck-projects/dana-60-bolt-on-portal-axle/10707271/new-axletech-portal-axle.jpg

LOL, my driving is not that bad :flipoff2:

I'll be taking it nice and easy this year. The front locker should help haha.

I've seen those put under an XJ before. It was nothing short of a hack job though.

tjblair
03-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Lol I figured I'd just suggest the most expensive $hit I could think of.

You will be amazed how much less skinny pedal you have to use with the front locked.

coverinearth
03-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Adjust the steering stops on your 30 so that you cant go as far lock, get some GOOD ujoints and shafts. And get good at changing shafts. Im running 37s on my 30. Broke it even with warn allows. Recently changed to alloy usa xjoints and havnt had problems YET!

mxg342
03-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Adjust the steering stops on your 30 so that you cant go as far lock, get some GOOD ujoints and shafts. And get good at changing shafts. Im running 37s on my 30. Broke it even with warn allows. Recently changed to alloy usa xjoints and havnt had problems YET!

I bet the next time you have problems it isn't going to be the shafts. You'll probably be into the ring and pinion.

I have mixed feelings on 37" tires. They are too small for tons and right on the hairy edge of being too big for 44's. Alot of it is going to be driving style.

I have had many shaft issues with the ujoints/ears failing. The dana 30 shafts are the same size. The 44 should be a lot stronger in the R&P department though. Surprisingly, I have yet to break a hub. (warn premiums)

coverinearth
03-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Not the ring and pinion this last break. Split the ARB in half!

SirFuego
03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
Get the right shafts and joints and you don't need to worry about adjusting steering stops ;-) You probably know my stance on this since you already have a HP30, so I won't say anything more.

CESCO
03-19-2010, 06:45 AM
I bet the next time you have problems it isn't going to be the shafts. You'll probably be into the ring and pinion.

I have mixed feelings on 37" tires. They are too small for tons and right on the hairy edge of being too big for 44's. Alot of it is going to be driving style.

I have had many shaft issues with the ujoints/ears failing. The dana 30 shafts are the same size. The 44 should be a lot stronger in the R&P department though. Surprisingly, I have yet to break a hub. (warn premiums)

I have broke the warn premiums in my d44.

Why do you think 37" are to small for tons? 37" are more popular on comp rigs than 40's...

mxg342
03-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Why do you think 37" are to small for tons? 37" are more popular on comp rigs than 40's...

Purely from a diff clearance standpoint. and I guess I'm talking about stock axles, nothing shaved or any aftermarket housings.

SirFuego
03-19-2010, 09:11 AM
37" are more popular on comp rigs than 40's...
37" is the max tire size for the pro-mod class. Any bigger of a tire and you need to run the "Unlimited" class, which is basically "anything goes" (while not compromising safety).

I don't follow WERock as much as I should, but do any of the top competitors in promod actually run non-shaved 60s or 14 bolts?

dan58
03-19-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't follow WERock as much as I should, but do any of the top competitors in promod actually run non-shaved 60s or 14 bolts?

The TOP competitors? Not a chance. Most run Currie RJs or some variation of the Hi9.

Do some competitors run standard 60s? Yes. 14b? None that I know of. That's a boat anchor.