PDA

View Full Version : Google hosted for pghoffroad???

jdetar
04-14-2006, 09:40 PM
Hey I was thinking, what do you guys think about having our own pghoffroad.com Email accounts and all the Gmail features to go along with it? google talk between the other members, the new calendar feature will be out soon to share with the members, etc.

This of course is up to the admin's but it's free so why not? You can still have POP access too.

OverkillZJ
04-14-2006, 09:59 PM
They're great features, but when things are running nice and smoothly, and 1/10th of the features here are already not used, I'd rather not complicate things. Maybe some day, but right now I'm pretty content to leave well enough alone.

jdetar
04-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Do we have Email already available? I just figured it's a nice way to get some more advertising.. having members with the Email@pghoffroad.com

OverkillZJ
04-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Admin's have email addresses, but I have no desire to open the email hosting can of worms for a free / community Jeep site!

Cebby
04-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Admin's have email addresses, but I have no desire to open the email hosting can of worms for a free / community Jeep site!

x2

I can't imagine folks want more email addresses to check. I've got to have over 30 now and it's just ridiculous...

OverkillZJ
04-14-2006, 11:08 PM
x2

I can't imagine folks want more email addresses to check. I've got to have over 30 now and it's just ridiculous...

That's where I love my exchange server.... elevinty billion email addresses, but all go to / from one exchange account I can even use from my phone. FU Google! Sorry, it slipped... They're moving into my space for free so I must lash out ;)

jdetar
04-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Google can be setup to grab all your lovely mail too. :) I just like it for it's pretty webmail interface, good spam blocking, tons of storage, and built in features for talk/contacts.

But no problem.. just figured I'd mention it as it may have been a useful idea, and hey... it's free right? :)

OverkillZJ
04-15-2006, 11:45 AM
The concept of "free" is entirely a myth though. Like I said they're cool features, I've been testing the beta for months in a business aspect. Even though it's not tough to manage, it really comes down to more to worry about, even more liability, and something that not too many would use on this forum.

Oh and ya... Google mail is not exchange. Anything can be setup to "catch" mail, but that's a whole different aspect! As Google continues in it's attempt to take over the world though, I bet they come out with a solution that really is comporable in a SMB aspect, although not integrated as easily in a secure SMB network. I'm kind of looking forward to other options.